The Dream of Perpetual Motion (2010)

by Dexter Palmer

Imprisoned for life aboard a zeppelin that floats high above a fantastic metropolis, the greeting-card writer Harold Winslow pens his memoirs. His only companions are the disembodied voice of Miranda Taligent, the only woman he has ever loved, and the cryogenically frozen body of her father Prospero, the genius and industrial magnate who drove her insane.… (more)
    The Tempest by William Shakespeare (sturlington)
    sturlington: The Dream of Perpetual Motion is a steampunk retelling of The Tempest

Adult fiction. Steam punk with a dash of existentialism? Sort of interesting, but drags a bit through the last 1/3. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
I'm a sucker for a writer who knows how to use his words. Right off the bat, The Dream of Perpetual Motion gives you this -

"I’ll love you back; I’ll tell you secrets— "

The story is so-so. Long winded. The Wizard of Oz meets Something Wicked This Way Comes and then collides with a boxcar full of steampunk cliches. But then he hits you with a paragraph or a sentence or even just a phrase of simply brilliant prose, and you keep going. Because there may be more, and you kind of want to be able to say "I read Dexter Palmer's first book before everyone knew who he was". ( )
  mattwa33186 | Jan 2, 2021 |
Writers, stop writing about art if you don't know anything about it. It's so annoying the cliches that you use every time. It was pretty bad in 'Gnomon' and it's even worse here. The art world! Gaaagh! ( )
  billycongo | Jul 22, 2020 |
Great writing style - but too slow, not enticing, not for me, thank you very much. Stopped after some 50 pages or so. ( )
  andreas.wpv | Jun 28, 2020 |
I read this book after reading his second book, Version Control, which I thought was better as it was more straight forward. It is fair to warn the reader that it is very literary, very much about thoughts and philosophies, especially in the middle. I found that some of it was a bit much, even for my tastes. But, all in all, it is good and though-provoking. ( )
  GigaClon | Mar 21, 2020 |
Prospero. -- Dost thou hear?

Miranda. Your tale, sir, would cure deafness.

-- William Shakespeare, The Tempest
Here opened another totally new education, which promised by far to be the most hazardous of all. The knife edge along which he must crawl, like Sir Lancelot in the twelfth century, divided two kingdoms of force which had nothing in common but attraction. They were as different as a magnet is from gravitation, supposing one knew what a magnet was, or gravitation, or love. -- Henry Adams, The Education of Henry Adams
sssss

sp

spiraling

spiraling down

Into. The. Sea?

spiraling slowly down and crashing in to the open sea?
I’m going to try to tell a story now, and though I’ve made a life out of writing words, this is the first time I have told a story. There are no new stories in the world anymore, and no more storytellers.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Dexter Palmer's book The Dream of Perpetual Motion was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Dexter Palmer is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Dexter Palmer chatted with LibraryThing members from Mar 22, 2010 to Apr 4, 2010. Read the chat.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,378,163 books! | Top bar: Always visible