The Tempest (1610)

by William Shakespeare

11,933154440 (3.92)3 / 548
"Shakespeare's valedictory play is also one of his most poetical and magical. The story involves the spirit Ariel, the savage Caliban, and Prospero, the banished Duke of Milan, now a wizard living on a remote island who uses his magic to shipwreck a party of ex-compatriots. This extensively annotated version of The Tempest makes the play completely accessible to readers in the twenty-first century." "Linguist and translator Burton Raffel offers generous help with vocabulary, pronunciation, and prosody and provides alternative readings of phrases and lines. His on-page annotations give readers all the tools they need to comprehend the play and begin to explore its many possible interpretations. Raffel provides an introductory essay, and in a concluding essay, Harold Bloom examines the characters Prospero and Caliban."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)
    Forbidden Planet: A Novel by W. J. Stuart (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The Tempest in outer space.
    Ariel by Grace Tiffany (gabeblaze)
    gabeblaze: Ariel is the story of the tempest from the knavish sprite Ariel's point of view, the story is basically the same as the classic The Tempest, with some exceptions.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Sylak)
    Sylak: Caliban in The Tempest has many parallels with John the Savage in Brave New World.
    The Tempest, Symphonic Fantasia in F minor by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: A musical spin-off worth reading/hearing. If you can, read the score. If you can't, check any of the available recordings (Abbado, Fistoulari, Pletnev, Jarvi, Litton, Stokowski, Toscanini).
    Mama Day by Gloria Naylor (susanbooks)
    The Collector by John Fowles (Booksloth)
    Prospero's Daughter by Elizabeth Nunez (susanbooks)
    The Sea and the Mirror by W. H. Auden (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: A literary spin-off that surpasses the original. A rare case indeed! What Will started 400 years ago, Wystan finished in the last century: he turned the cardboard stereotypes into real characters.
    An Unofficial Rose by Iris Murdoch (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: In der Einleitung zu "an unofficial rose" von Iris Murdoch schreibt Anthony D. Nuttal: "But this book is really much more Shakespearen than it is Dickensian, The Tempest, which will figure so prominently in The Sea, The Sea, is powerfully though less obtrusively operative in this earlier book."… (more)
    The Dream of Perpetual Motion by Dexter Palmer (sturlington)
    sturlington: The Dream of Perpetual Motion is a steampunk retelling of The Tempest

English (147)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (154)
I’m not even a little scholarly so this was read and reviewed from purely an entertainment standpoint.

While I like a bit of magic, the way it’s done here is the sort I struggle with, I like rules, I like parameters on magic/powers rather than feeling like the author or in this case the playwright can use it at any time to take the easy way out of any corner they’ve written the story into, I guess to me it makes the narrative feel somewhat manipulated rather than fully earned. Plus I mean if there are no limits to what Prospero can do with the magic and spirits or whatever else at his disposal then how did he even end up shipwrecked and why didn’t he leave the island eons ago and reclaim his position of power?

I wish there had been more to the insta-romance as given the animosity between the families there was more to explore in the dynamics of this relationship.

Where this worked best for me was in the scheming and conniving, those moments held my interest even if ultimately all of it seemed to resolve just a little too easily. ( )
  SJGirl | May 30, 2022 |
The first time through I felt as if nothing much happened in this play, but on a re-read, I like it better. I think I need to watch a performance or two for the full effect. ( )
  pgchuis | Apr 25, 2022 |
"We are such stuff as dreams are made on, and our little life is rounded with a sleep."
  roseandisabella | Mar 18, 2022 |
A moderately amusing play, with what were probably musical interludes, and some dancing. Magician finally executes a small revenge, and marries off his daughter. I saw a stage production with a one-armed actor playing Prospero quite effectively. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Mar 17, 2022 |
The play opens with a storm raised by Prospero, who years earlier, as the rightful duke of Milan, had been set adrift in a boat with his three-year-old daughter, Miranda, by his usurping brother, Antonio. Prospero, more interested in his books and his magic than in the pragmatics of ruling Milan, had left himself vulnerable to this overthrow. Arriving at an island, Prospero proceeded to make good use of his magic by freeing the sprite Ariel from the torment of imprisonment to which Ariel had been subjected for refusing to carry out the wicked behests of the sorceress Sycorax. Prospero and Miranda found no living person on the island other than Sycorax’s son Caliban. They took Caliban into their little family and lived in harmony until Caliban attempted to rape Miranda. Prospero then confined Caliban to a rock and to the status of slave, requiring him to attend to their needs by performing such tasks as gathering firewood. As the play begins, Prospero raises the tempest in order to cast onto the shores of his island a party of Neapolitans returning to Naples from a wedding in Tunis: King Alonso of Naples, his son Ferdinand, his brother Sebastian, and Prospero’s brother, Antonio.

With the arrival of the outsiders, the process of testing and eventual reconciliation begins. The party is brought to shore by Ariel, but Ferdinand is separated from the others and is believed drowned. Ariel helps foil plots against Prospero by Caliban and against Alonso by Antonio. Ariel then appears to Alonso and Antonio as a harpy and reproaches them for their treatment of Prospero. Alonso, believing Ferdinand dead, is certain that his death was punishment for Alonso’s crime and has a change of heart. Prospero, convinced that Antonio and company are repentant (or at least chastened), reconciles all and prepares to return to Milan to reclaim his throne.

Young Ferdinand meantime has encountered Miranda, and the two have fallen instantly in love. Their courtship is watched carefully by Prospero, who, though insistent that they proceed carefully and preserve their virginity until they are actually married, welcomes this love relationship as a way of making Miranda happy and at the same time of reconciling Milan and Naples; their marriage will unite the two contending kingdoms. ( )
  Marcos_Augusto | Jan 18, 2022 |

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Boatswain!
I would fain die a dry death.
Now would I give a thousand furlongs of sea for an acre of barren ground.
Full fathom five thy father lies;
Of his bones are coral made;
Those are pearls that were his eyes:
Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.
Knowing I lov'd my books, he furnish'd me
From mine own library with volumes that
I prize above my dukedom.
The fringed curtains of thine eye advance.
This work is for the complete The Tempest only. Do not combine this work with abridgements, adaptations or simplifications (such as "Shakespeare Made Easy"), Cliffs Notes or similar study guides, or anything else that does not contain the full text. Do not include any video recordings. Additionally, do not combine this with other plays.

Current discussions

July Shakespeare Cat: Justice in 2022 Category Challenge

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451527127, 0140714855, 0141016647

Ediciones Encuentro

An edition of this book was published by Ediciones Encuentro.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,513,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible