The Tempest by William Shakespeare

The Tempest (1610)

by William Shakespeare

9,765141430 (3.91)2 / 485
    Forbidden Planet by W. J. Stuart (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The Tempest in outer space.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Sylak)
    Sylak: Caliban in The Tempest has many parallels with John the Savage in Brave New World.
    Ariel by Grace Tiffany (gabeblaze)
    gabeblaze: Ariel is the story of the tempest from the knavish sprite Ariel's point of view, the story is basically the same as the classic The Tempest, with some exceptions.
    Mama Day by Gloria Naylor (susanbooks)
    The Tempest, Symphonic Fantasia in F minor by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: A musical spin-off worth reading/hearing. If you can, read the score. If you can't, check any of the available recordings (Abbado, Fistoulari, Pletnev, Jarvi, Litton, Stokowski, Toscanini).
    The Collector by John Fowles (Booksloth)
    The Sea and the Mirror by W. H. Auden (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: A literary spin-off that surpasses the original. A rare case indeed! What Will started 400 years ago, Wystan finished in the last century: he turned the cardboard stereotypes into real characters.
    An Unofficial Rose by Iris Murdoch (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: In der Einleitung zu "an unofficial rose" von Iris Murdoch schreibt Anthony D. Nuttal: "But this book is really much more Shakespearen than it is Dickensian, The Tempest, which will figure so prominently in The Sea, The Sea, is powerfully though less obtrusively operative in this earlier book."… (more)
    The Dream of Perpetual Motion by Dexter Palmer (sturlington)
    sturlington: The Dream of Perpetual Motion is a steampunk retelling of The Tempest

English (135)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (140)
A great play. Never forget Sir Patrick Stewart in the title role. This version includes: Forward, Intro, essay on The Tempest in performance (through 1984), description of the Globe, essay on Shakespeare's sources (with excerpts), annotated bibliography, memorable lines. ( )
  deckla | Jul 18, 2018 |
Perhaps the best of Shakespeare's comedies, The Tempest is a tale of fury, retribution, forgiveness and the laying down of power. Prospero, the legitimate Duke of Milan is stranded on an island with only his daughter and the original inhabitants, Caliban and the spirits. He is here because of the treachery of his brother, Antonio, who with the help of Alonzo, the King of Naples, has deprived him of his kingdom and his title. Who could blame Prospero for stirring up a tempest to entrap and confine his enemies, the King of Naples and Antonio when they come within his grasp?

Prospero has the power to destroy his enemies and take his revenge. It is what he does with that power that makes this play extraordinary and meaningful. A tale that begins as a tale of revenge becomes a tale of forgiveness. A tale that begins with a man of unparalleled power, ends with a man willing to lay that power aside, even in the presence of men who have already betrayed him once. Along the way, there is laughter and intrigue and a bit of a romance, which are all dealt with in Shakespeare's inimitably witty and poetic style.

graves at my command
Have waked their sleepers, oped, and let 'em forth
By my so potent art. But this rough magic
I here abjure, and, when I have required
Some heavenly music, which even now I do,
To work mine end upon their senses that
This airy charm is for, I'll break my staff,
Bury it certain fathoms in the earth,
And deeper than did ever plummet sound
I'll drown my book. [solemn music.]

Solemn music indeed to accompany this poetic dirge. How few men of power have we ever seen lay it aside? At the end, Ariel is set free for services well rendered, and Prospero seems the wisest of men who has used his power to build rather than to destroy.

So many others have already done a much finer job of reviewing this play, so I will make no further attempt to dissect or praise it. I can only say that there is a reason all the great writers of every century since his time have read Shakespeare, quoted him, lauded him and attempted to channel him; and that reason is infinitely clear when you read this play. ( )
  phantomswife | Jul 6, 2018 |
Well... it won't be my favorite Shakespearean play, but I thought I should read it before I read Margaret Atwood's Hag-Seed. ( )
  RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |
Dramatized audio recordings of are difficult for to listen to because there are so many minor characters. This one was a bit more manageable. ( )
  neverstopreading | Mar 13, 2018 |
Even a genius is allowed to be average once in a while. Reportedly the last play Shakespeare wrote on his own, I can't help but wonder if he mailed it in on this. Maybe he needed the money? Maybe he was fulfilling a contract for one more play, much like Hitchcock did with the abhorrent movie Jamacia Inn, his last British production before moving to Hollywood. Whatever the case, The Tempest was neither romantic enough to make me fall in love, tragic enough to make me sad or funny enough to make me laugh. But, it is Shakespheare so even his meh efforts are better than most, but still. Not up to his standards.

I read along with the text while I listened to the audio version, a practice I highly recommend. I wish I could have done that in high school. I'll definitely suggest immersion reading to my children as they enter high school and discover Shakespeare.

MelissaLenhardt | Mar 11, 2018 |

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Boatswain!
I would fain die a dry death.
Now would I give a thousand furlongs of sea for an acre of barren ground.
Full fathom five thy father lies;
Of his bones are coral made;
Those are pearls that were his eyes:
Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.
Knowing I lov'd my books, he furnish'd me
From mine own library with volumes that
I prize above my dukedom.
The fringed curtains of thine eye advance.
This work is for the complete The Tempest only. Do not combine this work with abridgements, adaptations or simplifications (such as "Shakespeare Made Easy"), Cliffs Notes or similar study guides, or anything else that does not contain the full text. Do not include any video recordings. Additionally, do not combine this with other plays.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743482832, Mass Market Paperback)

Each edition includes:

• Freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play

• Full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play

• Scene-by-scene plot summaries

• A key to famous lines and phrases

• An introduction to reading Shakespeare's language

• An essay by an outstanding scholar providing a modern perspective on the play

• Illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books

Essay by Barbara A. Mowat

The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., is home to the world's largest collection of Shakespeare's printed works, and a magnet for Shakespeare scholars from around the globe. In addition to exhibitions open to the public throughout the year, the Folger offers a full calendar of performances and programs. For more information, visit www.folger.edu.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:55 -0400)

Prospero, the deposed Duke of Milan, uses his skill at controlling natural forces to cause the shipwreck of his old opponents, forcing them to seek refuge on the island where he and his daughter Miranda have been living in exile, and setting the stage for Miranda to fall in love with Ferdinand, the prince of Naples. Includes explanatory notes, plot summaries, critical essay, and illustrations.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451527127, 0140714855, 0141016647

Ediciones Encuentro

An edition of this book was published by Ediciones Encuentro.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,958,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible