I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have…

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You

by Ally Carter

Model Spy by Shannon Greenland (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: The Specialists series is also about a group of teenagers who are training to be spies. The group in The Specialists involves more misfits and a bit less on the romance front. Think more Mission: Impossible. But the similar premise and action-packed style makes these two series read-alikes.… (more)
    Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another boarding school whose students are secretly different--but in this case, they're witches and werewolves.
    Team Human by Sarah Rees Brennan (nessreader)
    nessreader: Both teen romances with sparky dialogue, strong girls with their own agenda and friendships as well as romance. Similar sense of humour in both.
    Finding Lubchenko by Michael Simmons (meggyweg)
    Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger (68papyrus, bell7)
    68papyrus: Etiquette & Espionage also features a stong heroine and takes place at a boarding school.
    bell7: Though set in different time periods, both books feature smart, funny heroines who go to a school where all is not as it seems.

This was a fun fast teen read. I think I will go on to the next in the series but I will read some books in between each one. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
A cute novel based on teen girls being book smart (which translates to good undercover ops material) but not street wise. ( )
  slsmitty25 | Feb 11, 2015 |
Cameron Morgan does not own a cat, is not homeschooled, and mint chocolate chip is not her favorite ice cream. But Josh Abrams doesn't know that. He also doesn't know Cammie goes to the Gallagher Academy, and he doesn't know that she's training to be a CoveOp spy like the rest of the students at the academy. In fact, everything poor Josh Abrams, completely normal kid, knows about Cameron Morgan is a lie.

I'm not a romance reader. I'm not. I'm really not. But this one was about a teenage spy.... So...I caved.

Writing style! It's in the first person POV of a fifteen-year-old girl. That saying, she's an incredibly fast talker. Some may say that problem can be solved by reading more slowly, but that doesn't help. It's the sentence structure Ally Carter used that makes it seem as if her character is talking so intensely fast. In the middle of a thought she'll quickly tell you off-handed about a time when her mom defused a bomb with a bobby pin and a piece of gum (which is awesome), but you were previously engaged with her other subject, so you're thrown wildly from the train of thought. After you get used to the teenage, semi-flirty girl voice, however, it's actually kind of funny.

Her characters were well-developed, however, shallow, since the poor girls go to an all girl school and have no experience being normal teens. But that's how the author wanted to portray them, so she got that down pretty well. Her story was also pretty good, so it wasn't hard to finish this book.

I must say: I love the school's idea of a test or final exam. Tailing a teacher at a carnival sounds just plain fun, along with the other things they have to do. The spy element made it funny to read, especially when they use their spy-ness to stalk the poor male protagonist (as in, climbing on his roof, intercepting his emails, and digging through his garbage can).

All in all, it was a pretty good read, and I might actually read the next one, even if this one did mainly focus on a complicated relationship between a spy and her boyfriend.

Things to Watch Out For:
Romance: Guy and girl kiss; students crush on a "hot" teacher; character says the tone of voice a teacher used with another student sounded like "you're the most beautiful woman in the world, and I would be honored if you'd bear my children." In reality he was just trying to get the girl away from discovering the school's spy secret (pg 37); untrue rumor saying a new student got kicked out of her last school because she was pregnant with the headmaster's baby (pg 52); girls are the most hopelessly boy-crazy bunch I've ever met (well, almost...); characters decide to stalk a boy in case he's a male honeypot; character's mind overreacts when her friend finds a slip of paper in a guy's garbage, and she thinks he's taking drugs for a sex change operation, along with things like he only has six months to live and his family is moving to Alaska (pg 127); character says it's hard to look pretty or seductive when she has to go to the bathroom
Language: A teacher is said to have sworn in French, but the words are not written; D-1 (pg 19); mention of polish expletives; B-1 (only the first letter. The rest wasn't written out) (pg 36); the "B word"-4 (not ever spoken) (pg 36, 38); "gosh"-14 (pg. 43, 121, 134, 154, 159, 168, 203, 205, 206, 207, 218, 246, 276, 282); "bloody"-1 (pg 69); "jeez"-4 (pg 147, 158, 255); "heck"-1 (pg 147); G** in Heaven-1 (148); H-1 (pg 223)
Violence: Several of the tests at the academy involve kidnapping and fistfights; character often assesses how she can take out someone she doesn't like; character accidentally attacks a friend and flips him over her shoulder onto concrete; a teacher describes the seriousness of torture and shows faked video clips of students
Drugs: Character mentions how a teacher stopped smoking; one teacher experiments with strange gasses that give odd side effects; juniors, as a school function, were put under the influence of sodium pentothal; teen character smokes; characters wanting to bust a drug cartel, like in Alias; character says the town dance festival is a place where people get drunk and can dance with people they aren't married to, but the actual event doesn't seem like it;
Nudity: A character talks about mooning Academy girls, but is all talk; character is said to wear an "ultra miniskirt"; talk of female underwear
Other: Characters continually lie several times a chapter and don't always feel sorry for them; teacher steals a van for a school assignment; mentions of movies and shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, James Bond, and Bourne movies, and mention of the magazine Vogue; character dislikes his parents ( )
  Jenneth | Dec 24, 2014 |
Cammie Morgan is just like any girl. She goes to school, hangs out with her best friends, and is crushing on a totally hottie! Except that school she goes to is actually a school for spies, her besties are actually highly skilled operatives-in-training, and that cute boy has no idea! The first book of the Gallagher Girls introduces you to an enthralling story of spies, secret missions, and hot teachers. I would recommend this book to 6th graders and up. ( )
1 vote SimoneAlexis | Dec 12, 2014 |
So unbelievable that it's fun! Imagine going to a school where you learn how to become a spy. Can't wait to read the rest of the series. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
In memory of Ellen Moore Balarzs, a true Gallagher Girl.
I suppose a lot of teenage girls feel invisible sometimes, like they just disappear. Well, that's me - Cammie the Chameleon. But I'm luckier than most because, at my school, that's considered cool. I go to a school for spies.

Cammie Morgan is a student at the Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women, a fairly typical all-girls school - typical that is, if every school taught advanced martial arts in PE and the latest in chemical warfare in science, and student received extra credit for breaking CIA codes in computer class. The Gallager Academy might claim to be a school for geniuses, but its really a school for spies.

Even though Cammie is fluent in fourteen languages and capable of killing a man seven different ways with her bare hands, she has no idea what to do when she meets an ordinary boy who thinks she's an ordinary girl. Sure she can tap his phone, hack into his computer, or track him through town with the skill of a real "pavement artist" - but can she maneuver a relationship with someone who can never know the truth about her?

As a sophomore at a secret spy school and the daughter of a former CIA operative, Cammie is sheltered from "normal teenage life" until she meets a local boy while on a class surveillance mission.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,168,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible