I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have…

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You

by Ally Carter

2,288None2,774 (3.89)55
adventure (54) boarding school (73) boarding schools (11) chick lit (39) espionage (54) family (12) fiction (89) friendship (35) funny (10) Gallagher Girls (38) girls (24) high school (20) humor (32) love (19) mystery (23) own (11) private school (14) read (30) realistic fiction (23) relationships (24) romance (84) school (29) secrets (11) series (40) spy (213) teen (36) to-read (46) YA (106) young adult (122) young adult fiction (23)
    The Specialists: Model Spy by Shannon Greenland (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: The Specialists series is also about a group of teenagers who are training to be spies. The group in The Specialists involves more misfits and a bit less on the romance front. Think more Mission: Impossible. But the similar premise and action-packed style makes these two series read-alikes.… (more)
    Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another boarding school whose students are secretly different--but in this case, they're witches and werewolves.
    Finding Lubchenko by Michael Simmons (meggyweg)
    Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger (68papyrus, bell7)
    68papyrus: Etiquette & Espionage also features a stong heroine and takes place at a boarding school.
    bell7: Though set in different time periods, both books feature smart, funny heroines who go to a school where all is not as it seems.

I'd probably give this 2.5 stars - It wasn't as bad as a two star rating but not quite worthy of a total three star.

The humour was note worthy, but I really don't understand all the hype...?
I mean it was alright, although I know it's aimed at the "pre-teen/teenager" age group, (clearing being 19 I'm still desperately trying to hang on to my last few months in the teens...) but it wasn't anything brillantly mind blowing. I'm sure if was my 13 year old self and I'd read this I would be gushing over it's romance and love-dovey moments and the whole "new girl is evil but secretly she's a true friend" story line, but I just thought it was a bit cliche. I'll give Carter credit, I've personally never read a book set in a teenage spy school, and that was pretty awesome, but the other parts just left me bored half the time.

Also, was it just me or did anyone else get really confused in parts? I know I tend to skim the pages, so knowing me I probably missed a vital part, but I got really lost in places. I had to re-read paragraphs to understand how the character's locations/moods changed within the space of a sentence!

I'd probably say it's best to just leave this with the teens and they can continue to rave about it to their young hearts content.

“Oh.' I shot upright. 'I was in Mongolia.'
Note to self: learn to be a less extreme liar.”
  LaurenKathryn | Mar 31, 2014 |
Cammie Morgan goes to an all girls school for spies. She knows all the basics of becoming a spy, how to put bugs into the president's limousine, hacking into the library of congress website. The school teaches her everything she needs to know. But one thing the school hasn't taught her is love. So what happens when Cammie falls for a regular boy? Will she walk with him, or will she walk away? ( )
  shasita123 | Mar 28, 2014 |
This book was ok if your somebody who likes the main character talking about their teacher weirdly. Also people who like spy's would like this book.
The only part of this book that was good was the sneaking around parts when she is tested.
I do not recommend this book for boys/girls that like action, violence, and murder mysteries. ( )
  br14zape | Mar 17, 2014 |
The Great Gallagher Girls Reread

A few years ago I found myself in the predicament of having nothing to read. This can either be the best or the worst situation to find yourself in, depending on the circumstances. Mine was about the middle of the road. I was 14, had some pocket money and was wandering through the book department at Target (they have a somewhat limited selection). I chanced upon I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You, the first of the Gallagher Girls series. Fastforward to today, the sixth and final book has been released and I have bought the five books in the series I didn't already own and am revisiting Cammie and her friends to see how it all ends.

There is one main word that comes to mind when I am describing this book: fun . I have always found The Gallagher Girls such an enjoyable read and I have narrowed it down to two predominant aspects. The first is that it takes place at boarding school (the Gallagher Academy). I have always wanted to go to boarding school, since I started reading stories where the main character goes away to school and has a roommate and goes to class where she lives and gets into mischief and has adventures. From Malory Towers to Hogwarts, I have always had an obsession with the idea of boarding school and always wanted to go to 'see what it was like', as I told my parents who never caught on to the idea. The second aspect is SPIES. Badass, kick your ass, teenage girl spies (in training). At the boarding school. Where they take classes such as Covert Operations and Protections & Enforcement. You can say it sounds far fetched all you like, but I think it sounds awesome and that's why it appealed to my 14 year old self and why it still appeals to my 20 year old self today.

In this first installment, we are introduced to Cammie 'The Chameleon' Morgan whose mother is the headmistress of the Gallagher Academy and whose father was killed on assignment. It is not a normal life and Cammie is not a normal teenage girl, and neither are her friends. The school is an all girls school, with little opportunity for interaction with *gasp* those other kinds of humans....boys! So when Cammie meets one who thinks she's just your average teenager and who is showing some interest in her, she's way out of her depth. He can never know what she is. And yet, the promise of being normal draws her in and she is left with some tough choices to make.

I feel like my own summary of the book doesn't do it enough justice. The dialogue between characters and also inside Cammie's head was witty and funny, and I especially enjoyed her 'real history lessons' where a Gallagher Girl was involved in almost everything you know about and stuff you don't. I loved her relationship with her friends and how important she realised it was. The gadgets were cool, the classes sound heaps better than mine and I found I enjoyed this just as much at 20 as I did at 14. Bear in mind when you do read this that it is the point of view of a fifteen year old, written for fifteen year olds, and be careful not to expect a literary masterpiece - and you might just enjoy it. The four star rating I first gave it still stands. Bring on book 2! ( )
  crashmyparty | Feb 26, 2014 |
It's the story of an all-girl spy school. I thought it was awesome! I was surprised at how much I loved it! Hilarious! I would recommend it to anyone. It was "laugh-out-loud" funny as cliche as it sounds! FYI, it's a teen read. ( )
  Emelymac | Jan 15, 2014 |
In memory of Ellen Moore Balarzs, a true Gallagher Girl.
I suppose a lot of teenage girls feel invisible sometimes, like they just disappear.

Cammie Morgan is a student at the Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women, a fairly typical all-girls school - typical that is, if every school taught advanced martial arts in PE and the latest in chemical warfare in science, and student received extra credit for breaking CIA codes in computer class. The Gallager Academy might claim to be a school for geniuses, but its really a school for spies.

Even though Cammie is fluent in fourteen languages and capable of killing a man seven different ways with her bare hands, she has no idea what to do when she meets an ordinary boy who thinks she's an ordinary girl. Sure she can tap his phone, hack into his computer, or track him through town with the skill of a real "pavement artist" - but can she maneuver a relationship with someone who can never know the truth about her?

As a sophomore at a secret spy school and the daughter of a former CIA operative, Cammie is sheltered from "normal teenage life" until she meets a local boy while on a class surveillance mission.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible