The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane (2006)

by Kate DiCamillo

Other authors: Bagram Ibatoulline (Illustrator)

Edward Tulane, a cold-hearted and proud toy rabbit, loves only himself until he is separated from the little girl who adores him and travels across the country, acquiring new owners and listening to their hopes, dreams, and histories.
    The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo (jesanu)
    jesanu: Fans of The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane will connect with the Magician's Elephant, DiCamillo's most recent publication. The books share the same lyrical quality and quest for self-identity among a cast of unique characters.
    Hitty: Her First Hundred Years by Rachel Field (DRHuber)
    The End of the Beginning: Being the Adventures of a Small Snail (and an Even Smaller Ant) by Avi (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: This book is for slightly older readers, but is a wonderful book for any reader. Lovely illustrations and terrific morals.
    Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo (Anonymous user)

English (243)  Swedish (1)  All languages (244)
I have a great fondness for Kate DiCamillo's writing style, but I fear that makes her a little too effective at tugging on my heart strings.

I honestly don't like reading about a china rabbit going through owner after owner. I appreciated the lesson Edward is learning, but what about the former owners who are lamenting over their lost china rabbit? There have been books about dolls where some of the children outgrow the toy, so there's a breather in circumstance, and we the audience are reminded that we don't cherish all our toys so mightily. Edward is so brutally taken EVERY time. Bah.

I do understand why people would like this. Katie DiCamillo is still writing strong, and pictures are a beaut. I merely say it's not for me. ( )
  Allyoopsi | Jun 22, 2022 |
Nicely written. Sad tale of a stuffed bunny who needs to learn how to appreciate life. Stronger content than Tale of Desperaux; maybe too strong for sensitive, young readers. A memorable book. ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
Well, this just isn't my cup of tea. Which is odd, really, but there it is. Well written, beautifully illustrated, not for me. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
I had heard from many people and students what an - amazing, incredible, "Best book ever"- book this was, but after I finished reading it I was left slightly disappointed. Don't get me wrong, this book is beautifully written and captures your heart. I just wish I hadn't had my hopes set for 'out of this world' great. That being said, I think this story is fantastic for helping students think about who they are as a person and how the people around affect them in different situations. Edward has to go through many different things, and the fact that he mentally struggles through them can help students learn problem solving. Would also be a nice story to go over sequencing with students, remembering the different people that Edward met, in what order, and what major events happened with those people.

*Spolier*
Maybe if I hadn't guessed that Edward's journey would circle back to his original owner from near the beginning I would have been more impressed. I'm still trying to determine why is it exactly that I can't give this book that 5th star, but when I was done reading I felt like I was still missing a piece of the puzzle. ( )
  LectricLibrary | Feb 16, 2022 |
Gift from Abby T. & Ellie

Edward Tulane is a vain china rabbit who doesn't love anyone, despite the love that Abilene Tulane has for him. When, on an ocean voyage, Edward is accidentally thrown overboard, he begins his miraculous journey - toward understanding love, and back to Abilene.

Abilene's grandmother, Pellegrina - who gifted Edward to Abilene - tells a story toward the beginning of the book about a princess who loved no one, and how she was turned into a warthog, shot, and eaten. The meaning of the story is lost on Edward at its first telling, but he (re)considers it throughout - from the bottom of the ocean, from the cottage of a fisherman and his wife, from a garbage heap, from a train, from a scarecrow perch, and from the sickbed of a little girl - and begins to realize its meaning and significance in his own life.

See also: Toys Go Out by Emily Jenkins, The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo ( )
  JennyArch | Dec 18, 2021 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
The heart breaks and breaks

and lives by breaking.

It is necessary to go

through dark and deeper dark

and not to turn.

--from "The Testing-Tree," by Stanley Kunitz
For Jane Resh Thomas, who gave me the rabbit and told me his name.
Once, in a house on Egypt Street, there lived a rabbit who was made almost entirely of china.
What was clear was that he was being taken to a child to make up for the loss of a doll. A doll. How Edward loathed dolls.

This is a magical story about a china rabbit from an award-winning author.Abilene loves her blue china rabbit, but Edward Tulane is extremely vain and only loves himself. On a voyage to London, Edward falls overboard and from there embarks on an amazing journey. He travels with hobos, works as a scarecrow, comforts a dying child and finally learns what it is to truly love.

Candlewick Press

3 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763625892, 0763647837, 076364367X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,982,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible