Because of Winn-Dixie

by Kate DiCamillo

Ten-year-old India Opal Buloni describes her first summer in the town of Naomi, Florida, and all the good things that happen to her because of her big ugly dog Winn-Dixie.

English (526)  Japanese (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (529)
I thought this was an exceptionally well-written book, fo being so small and most definitely for children. I would have given it four stars, but I detest dogs. ( )
  AlainaZ | Jun 5, 2022 |
This is a good book, especially to read aloud. Not a lot of action, but still a great story! ( )
  MollyGroff | May 23, 2022 |
Reading age ‏ : ‎ 9 - 12 years
Lexile measure ‏ : ‎ 670L
Grade level ‏ : ‎ 4 - 7

Best Sellers Rank: #1,141 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
#10 in Children's Dog Books (Books)
#40 in Children's Friendship Books
#40 in Children's Books on Emotions & Feelings (Books)

Awards:
John Newberry Medal
Dorothy Canfield Fisher Children's Book Award
Indies Choice Book AWard for Children's Literature
  BLESD | May 4, 2022 |
Independent Reading Level: Grades 3-5
Awards: John Newbery Medal (2001)
  SteviePearce | May 2, 2022 |
The only flaw I found in this book is that it wasn't longer! ( )
  worddragon | Mar 2, 2022 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bliss, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, CherryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Tracey and Beck because they listened first
My Name is India Opal Buloni, last summer my daddy, the preacher, sent me to the store for a box of macaroni-and-cheese, some white rice, and two tomatoes and I came back with a dog.
“…But in the meantime, you got to remember, you can’t always judge people by the things they done. You got to judge them by what they are doing now.”
“What truth?” I asked her.

“Why, that war is hell,” Miss Franny said with her eyes still closed. “Pure hell.”

Hell is a cuss word,” said Amanda. I stole a look at her. Her face was pinched up even more than usual.

War,” said Miss Franny with her eyes still closed, “should be a cuss word, too.”
I didn’t go to sleep right away. I lay there and thought how life was like a Littmus Lozenge, how the sweet and the sad were all mixed up together and how hard it was to separate them out. It was confusing.
“There ain’t no way you can hold on to something that wants to go, you understand? You can only love what you got while you got it.”
Thinking about her was the same as the hole you keep on feeling with your tongue after you lose a tooth.

Because of Winn Dixie by Kate Dicamillio is mostly about friendship and compassion. Opal is close to being a preteen girl living with her father. She takes in this uncared for dog who changes her life forever. She meets unusaul people who become her best friends in life.She is soon to find that one little thunder storm will change her outlook on life.-Autumn Taylor

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,770,303 books! | Top bar: Always visible