Trespass by Rose Tremain

Trespass (2010)

by Rose Tremain

English (66)  Dutch (1)  All languages (67)
Nothing particularly wrong with this, but nothing special about it either. Utterly forgettable. I'm mystified as to how it made it onto the Booker longlist. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
What a sad story. Did anyone get out unscathed? This telling was presented in 10, 14-minute segments. It kept me intrigued, but also disgusted and a bit horrified by the depravity. I'm not sure what more to say. ( )
  Lit_Cat | Dec 9, 2017 |
The story features a poor, uneducated brother and sister. The brother wants to sell their farmhouse to a rich foreigner, a plan that troubles his sister considerably. When a wealthy English buyer and his sister show up, passion, retribution, and the clash of cultures complicate the plan. Although the seriously flawed characters are all unlikeable in this dark story, Tremain skillfully portrays them as if from inside their heads. Each one trespasses in different ways. This chilling novel is well-written and completely engrossing to the last page. ( )
1 vote VivienneR | Dec 7, 2017 |
This felt to me like a novel about memories, forgotten memories, bad memories, memories that are inaccurate and memories that are painful. Anthony Verey has very happy memories of his mother, which are not always shared by his sister. Audrun has painful memories of her youth and her brother Aramon and her father. Aramon seems to have black outs and forgets what he has done. Mostly set in the heat of the Cevennes, this novel flits between different voices, we hear form Audrun and from Anthony and from his sister Veronica and her partner, Kitty and occasionally we hear from Melodie, a young girl who has moved to the Cevennes from Paris. There is little that is shared or understood between these characters. Melodie and Anthony are the urban outsiders that have arrived in the rural Cevennes, one is struggling to fit in and the other is considering a move to the area. An interesting novel that was a good read. ( )
  Tifi | Jun 9, 2017 |
I discovered Rose Tremain while in New Zealand and read her novel "Colours" - about life during the gold rush in NZ. Now I'm hooked on her writing. I just finished her thriller "Trepass", set in France and England. Normally I don't like dark material about depression, revenge and murder, but she pulls it off. The setting is vividly rendered. ( )
  CindaMac | Mar 26, 2017 |
For Richard, with love
The child's name is Mélodie.

An electrifying novel about disputed territory, sibling love, and devastating revenge from the celebrated author of The Road Home and Restoration.

In a silent valley in southern France stands an isolated stone farmhouse, the Mas Lunel. Aramon, the owner, is so haunted by his violent past that he's become incapable of all meaningful action, letting his hunting dogs starve and his land go to ruin. Meanwhile, his sister Audrun, alone in her modern bungalow within sight of the Mas Lunel, dreams of exacting retribution for the unspoken betrayals that have blighted her life. Into this closed world comes Anthony Verey, a wealthy but disillusioned antiques dealer from London. When he sets his sights on the Mas, a frightening and unstoppable series of consequences is set in motion.

"Rose Tremain's writing is so good, she makes us hear English anew," writes the San Francisco Chronicle. This powerful and unsettling new work reveals yet another dimension to Tremain's extraordinary imagination.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:16 -0400)

"In a silent valley in southern France stands an isolated stone farmhouse, the Mas Lunel. Aramon, the owner, is so haunted by his violent past that he's become incapable of all meaningful action, letting his hunting dogs starve and his land go to ruin. Meanwhile, his sister Audrun, alone in her modern bungalow within sight of the Mas Lunel, dreams of exacting retribution for the unspoken betrayals that have blighted her life. Into this closed world comes Anthony Verey, a wealthy but disillusioned antiques dealer from London who has escaped to stay with his sister. When he sets his sights on the Mas, a frightening and unstoppable series of consequences is set in motion.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Rose Tremain's book Trespass was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393079562, 0393340600

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,420,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible