The Cat, The Professor And The Poison by…

The Cat, The Professor And The Poison

by Leann Sweeney

Double Booked for Death by Ali Brandon (LMHTWB)
    LMHTWB: Another cat cozy mystery, but written at a bit better.

I am loving this series and I felt this second book was even better than the first. I love how Leann Sweeney is bringing in both cat and quilting facts into the storyline and doing it flawlessly. The story is told in the first person. Jillian finds at least 50 mistreated cats. Now while this is not a pleasant subject, Leann presents it without too much ugliness. The cats were found at the home of a professor who is later found dead. His family arrives into town, consisting of his ex-wife, her boyfriend and 2 sons. When Jillian is attacked in her own home, her best friend policewoman Candace comes and lives with Jillian to protect her. Kara, Jillian's stepdaughter, also shows up unexpectedly. The two have not spoken since Jillian's husband's death. The main plot is figuring out the killer, but I also like the introduction of Kara to Jillian's life and of course, Tom who wants to be closer to Jillian than just a friend ( )
  travelgal | Jun 26, 2018 |
Jillian Hart has finally settled into small town life. Her quilting business has taken off and doting on her three cats keeps Jillian busy. That doesn't stop her from wanting to help solve the mystery of a missing milk cow from a neighbor's farm. While lending a hand with the missing cow, Jillian's neighbor mentions that there have been more feral cats than normal showing up at her barn lately and one of them appears to have recently had kittens. Unable to resist helping a cat in trouble, Jillian follows the momma cat in an attempt to find and rescue both the mother and her babies. Little did she suspect that she'd be lead to an even bigger mystery to solve: 50 stray cats and a dead body.

The Cat, the Professor and the Poison is the second book in the Cats in Trouble series by Leann Sweeney. Jillian has quite a sense for when cats are in trouble and it never fails to lead to something big. The little town of Mercy oozes Southern charm and the characters are as quirky as ever. This time we're also introduced to Jillian's step-daughter Kara. Kara starts off as a big city girl with a bit of attitude. Gradually Jillian and Mercy's residents win Kara over. She's even able to help with the case! The mystery itself is a fun one. Based on the title, it should be fairly obvious - a professor has been poisoned. But why? What was his teaching specialty and what was he researching? I like how Jillian and Deputy Candice work together to put all the puzzle pieces together.

I am loving this cozy mystery series. They are quick, fun reads. I think I may have found myself a new comfort read series. ( )
  Narilka | Oct 20, 2016 |
Very good. Can't wait for the next ( )
  JanetArmentani | Jul 25, 2013 |
Jillian Hart is a recent widow, living in Mercy, South Carolina. She’s gained a reputation as an amateur sleuth, so she’s not surprised when a local resident calls her when her cow goes missing. The cow eventually comes home, but Jillian’s nose for trouble takes her to a neighbor, a college professor, who appears to be hoarding cats – and they’re not all in great condition.

Jillian is a cat person, and she wants to make sure those cats are cared for – and the professor out of the business of keeping cats in such deplorable conditions. But when the professor is put out of commission – permanently – Jillian’s wants to find out what was going on at the professor’s farm. Jillian has a new best friend, police officer Candace (NOT Candy) Carson, and the two of them are on the trail of a killer.

I like Jillian Hart. As I wrote in my review of the first book in the series, she’s a mature, no-nonsense heroine without a lot of crazy issues … one whose knees don’t go weak at the sight of a handsome man. She knows who she is and is coping with the grief surrounding the sudden death of her husband John with bravery and pluck. And in The Cat, The Professor and the Poison, she is faced with fixing her relationship with her step-daughter, Kara, who is grieving as much as Jillian.

I’m not a cat person, but the inclusion of cats – many of them – in the story seems quite natural under the circumstances. I really like this series and hope to read many more of them in the future. ( )
  NewsieQ | Jun 19, 2013 |
This second installment in the Cats in Trouble mystery series is sure to delight mystery and cat lovers alike. In this tale, Jillian discovers dozens of caged cats on what looks like an abandoned farm. But then she stumbles over a dead body, and now she is enmeshed in a mystery involving not only the cats but also her friends and stepdaughter as Jillian is targeted by the killer. Will she uncover the truth in time to save herself and her own cats? This is one tale that will keep you turning pages until you know the fate of all the kitties. With likable, believable characters, interesting subplots, and an intriguing mystery, this tale is pure cover-to-cover pleasure. ( )
  Maydacat | May 12, 2012 |
Way down deep we are all motivated by the same urges.

Cats have the courage to live by them.

-- JIM DAVIS, creater of Garfield
This book is dedicated to Lydia and Rufus,

the best friends in the world.

Thanks for always being there
" 'The smallest feline is a masterpiece,' " I said, using a trembling finger to gently stroke the newborn kitten curled in the palm of my hand.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451229800, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:57 -0400)

Between her kitty quilt-making business and her three beloved cats, Jill has her hands full. That doesn't stop her from wanting to solve the mystery of the milk cow that's gone missing from her friend's farm. But imagine her surprise when a stolen cow leads to the discovery of fifty stray cats and one dead body-a victim of cold-blooded murder.… (more)

Leann Sweeney is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,848,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible