The Broken Kingdoms

by N. K. Jemisin

Series: The Inheritance Trilogy (2)

After a band of killers begins murdering godlings, blind artist Oree Shoth wonders if her recent guest is at the heart of it, his presence putting her in danger.

There was a lot that I liked about this book: the world, the main character Oree, the treatment of loss. What made me a bit frustrated -- and what I realized frustrated me about the first book -- is that the story arc was mostly reactive. A good story overall! ( )
  eri_kars | Jul 10, 2022 |
The sequel to A Hundred Thousand Kingdoms starts ten years later and focuses on a new character, an artist who sells trinkets to the religious tourists and pilgrims to the tree that is the source of magic in this world.

Great world, interesting meta-level choice of blind narrator, pretty weak plotting/didn't leave much of an impression. I wanted to like this more than I found I did. Not bad, mind -- just not as captivating as some of what I've read from Jemisin. Maybe it would have stood up better if I'd read it sooner on the heels of the first. ( )
  pammab | Jun 5, 2022 |
The continuation of the Inheritance Trilogy starts 10 years later following a different protagonist. She is blind woman in a city filled with gods when all of a sudden one of the gods ends up dead. While this book had plenty of mystery around it, the storyline was a bit too obvious with what was meant to be surprise twists, felt too expected. There is essentially no characters from the first book in this book, which is fine, but the characters were not as interesting. Overall still a great read though and it does end so could be read as a stand alone. You may also be able to read this book without any prior knowledge of the first book, which actually might make it better. ( )
  renbedell | May 26, 2022 |
Hell yeah! Good sequel, excellent worldbuilding, and fascinating subversion of many fantasy tropes. Looking forward to reading #3. ( )
  leahsusan | Mar 26, 2022 |
This one broke my heart ( )
  wilmarierj | Feb 19, 2022 |

Jemisin, N. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Freeman, CasaundraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

I remember that it was midmorning.

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316043966, 0316043958

Hachette Book Group

An edition of this book was published by Hachette Book Group.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,127,218 books! | Top bar: Always visible