Flora Segunda: Being the Magickal Mishaps of…

Flora Segunda: Being the Magickal Mishaps of a Girl of Spirit, Her…

by Ysabeau S. Wilce

Series: Flora Segunda (1)

Maybe only 4.5 stars, as I don't think I'd recommend it to you unless you had your own reasons to consider reading it. I think two things made it stand out for me - for one, Flora felt very real to me... Wilce's skill was for me to forget she's a fictional character and just enter her life. For two, I loved the scattered touches that defied cliches... she wears stays and kilts, and reads yellowbacks, and the dive down by the docks is an Ice Cream Bar, and yet there's a lot that Hispanic people can identify with so it's certainly not just British... it's a world a bit like many fantasy worlds but a little aslant any of them... original. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Flora lives in a huge, crumbling house with her dogs, horses, and the mad Poppy. Her fourteenth birthday is coming up, when she'll become an adult and join the army, as all of her family has done before her. But Flora is round as a dumpling and likes reading adventure stories more than fighting, and she'd rather learn to be a sneaky spy than a magic-less soldier. When she stumbles upon the secret to her house's decrepitude, she embarks upon an adventure that will forever alter the state of her family and herself.

I loved the exuberant tone of this novel. I only wish it was more complete in itself, and less a set-up for a sequel. The world-building is excellent, and I love that for once, a YA fantasy novel is not set in some alternate-England but instead, an Aztec-influenced California. And each of the characters is fascinating: contradictory but brave Flora; her best friend, the vain but generous Udo; the tragic and exasperating Poppy; and the selfish Valefor.
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Really cute story about...well the subtitle says it all: "Being the Magickal Mishaps of a Girl of Spirit, Her Glass-Gazing Sidekick, Two Ominous Butlers (One Blue), a House with Eleven Thousand Rooms, and a Red Dog." Really cute. The author is a military historian, and it shows in a very interesting way in the backdrop of the story. I recommend this one to fans of YA. It has an inspired, jaunty feel to it while still dealing with serious themes of growing up, family, and responsibility. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
Flora Segunda lives in a magical house of many rooms and wonders. But ever since her mother banished the house's magical butler, it has been falling apart. Flora is responsible for keeping it clean and taking care of the dogs, horses, and her alcoholic father who is prone to violent explosions, while her mother is away leading the country's military. One day she breaks one of her mother's rules and takes the elevator. The elevator has a mind of its own and deposits her in a part of the house that has been closed up and unavailable as long as Flora can remember. What she discovers there changes everything and catapults Flora into an adventure that will change her life forever.

Wilce has created an unusual world full of magic and adventure. It took awhile to get used to the unusual words and expressions, but the details did make the world come alive (such as the complicated system of greetings and bows that designated the relative status of the meeting parties). The characters were interesting and complex and the story had enough twists and turns to keep me guessing. There was one point when the author seemed to go off on a tangent that distracted form the original story line, but in the end it turned out to be important so I was able to forgive her for the earlier confusion. I appreciated how the author had plenty of powerful female characters (Flora's mother is the general that runs the military in their country) and a spunky heroine. I recommend this book to those who enjoy young adult fantasy worlds full of magic. I will definitely continue the series. ( )
  Cora-R | Jan 17, 2016 |

I enjoyed this more than I expected. It's quite deceptive - starts off as just another story of a teenage daughter of the local warrior ruler (slight twist in that it's her mother rather than her father) who gets into trouble by picking sides in difficult politics and trying to intervene. But about two-thirds of the way through it turns out that we have been slightly misdirected, and the story is now about Flora needing to escape from the life-threatening consequences of her own (well-intentioned) actions; and then it gets into the unexpected re-imagining of her family's own recent history, and ends very well. Points also for use of ð and þ. ( )
  nwhyte | Jun 9, 2014 |

Ysabeau S. Wilceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fortune, EricCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jackman, JenniferCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Richardson, OwenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Maiden caught me in the Wild

Where I was dancing merrily;

She put me into her Cabinet,

And Lock'd me up with a golden Key.

—William Blake
For Two Furies, Ooo & My
Blasted heck, I'm supposed to be writing my Catorcena speech, where I am supposed to be celebrating the fabulousness of my House, the glory of my family, the fantasticness of my future. But I can't think of what to write because Crackpot Hall isn't fabulous, and the Fyrdraaca family is not much glorious anymore, and my future is hardly going to be fantastic.

Flora Fyrdraaca, a Girl of Spirit, is approaching her 14th birthday when she'll celebrate her Catorcena, coming-of-age party that she has certain tasks she needs to complete before then or her Mother, the General will give her the Look that has reduced colonels to tears. But it also means that next semester she'll be old enough to go to the Barracks and follow her mother into the military, and she doesn't want to, but hasn't mustered the courage to tell her mother that. On top of that the family home which has 11 thousand rooms that move around randomly, due in part to the fact that her mother has banished the family "Butler", a magical creature bound to the family for centuries. Flora finds Valefor, the banished butler and he helps her with some of her tasks, but seems to have some ulterior motives.

She also has her occasionally mad father, Poppy to deal with, a mass of exuberant dogs, a fashion plate of a best (boy) friend, Pirates (well, one anyway!), murderous bird creatures. Thank goodness, Flora has some magic skills of her own to help her along, even if they are occasionally undependable

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152054332, Hardcover)

Flora knows better than to take shortcuts in her family home, Crackpot Hall--the house has eleven thousand rooms, and ever since her mother banished the magickal butler, those rooms move around at random. But Flora is late for school, so she takes the unpredictable elevator anyway. Huge mistake. Lost in her own house, she stumbles upon the long-banished butler--and into a mind-blowing muddle of intrigue and betrayal that changes her world forever.

Full of wildly clever plot twists, this extraordinary first novel establishes Ysabeau Wilce as a compelling new voice in teen fantasy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:34 -0400)

Fourteen-year-old Flora Fyrdraaca, whose mother is the Warlord's Commanding General and whose father is mad, kindly helps her house's magical--and long-banished--butler, unaware that he draws strength from the Fyrdraaca will.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,419,584 books! | Top bar: Always visible