Walking the Bible: A Journey by Land Through…

Walking the Bible: A Journey by Land Through the Five Books of Moses (2001)

by Bruce Feiler

Walking the Bible: A Photographic Journey by Bruce Feiler (bachrach44)
    bachrach44: If you liked the book, this is the coffee table sized picture book that goes with it.
    Abraham: A Journey to the Heart of Three Faiths by Bruce Feiler (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Less of a travelogue, but a much more detailed account of Western Religion's Gilgamesh, Heracles, Super-hero.

this was our chicklit selection and we all agreed that it had value and we were glad to have read it, but it was soooo slow. ( )
  bereanna | Aug 4, 2015 |
This book is an inspirational oasis from the Sinai desert that the people of Israel travelled on a circular path for forty years , Fieler travels with this people whose paths he traces and comes out in the land of milk and honey- renewed and transformed.Full of wonder and awe 'Walking the Bible' is a powerful and spiritual pilgrimmage and Feiler inserts a sense of poetry about the land. ( )
  mrkurtz | Apr 14, 2015 |
So, I read and reviewed the book Where God Was Born without realizing that it was a sequel to a previous journey until the author responded to my review on Twitter (oops!). This journey goes to the places of the five books of Moses in Turkey, Palestine, Israel, Jordan, Syria, and Egypt. Feiler summarizes the stories of patriarchs Noah, Abraham, Jacob, Joseph, and Moses alongside his own travel adventure. He depicts his personal religious journey as desire to be at the exact places being replaced by a understanding of the symbolism of the land. Feiler also engages in ialogue with many people Jewish and Islam about the differences between Jewish scripture and Quran. No matter what order you read them in, these two books are terrific companions to anyone's spiritual journey. ( )
  Othemts | Dec 30, 2014 |
One part adventure story, one part archaeological detective work, one part spiritual exploration, "Walking the Bible" vividly recounts an inspiring personal odyssey--by foot, jeep, rowboat, and camel--through the greatest stories ever told. Feiler explores how geography affects the larger narrative of the Bible and how much these places have affected his own faith.
  Priory | Nov 25, 2013 |
Even though I recall liking and learning from this book, what has really stuck in my mind is what the author and his guide ate for breakfast more than once -- canned tuna and okra. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
FOR MY SISTER

May your descendants be as numerous as the stars
Heather Moskowitz
The call to prayer sounded just after 3 p.m.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060838639, Paperback)

Walking the Bible: A Journey by Land Through the Five Books of Moses is the story of Bruce Feiler's 10,000-mile trek from Mount Ararat to Mount Nebo, undertaken for reasons he did not understand at the outset and accompanied by a companion who was very nearly a stranger. In the book's first chapter, in characteristically understated style, Feiler suggests a viable parallel to his journey:
Abraham was not originally the man he became. He was not an Israelite, he was not a Jew. He was not even a believer in God--at least initially. He was a traveler, called by some voice not entirely clear that said: Go, head to this land, walk along this route, and trust what you will find.

Feiler, a fifth-generation American Jew from the South, had felt no particular attachment to the Holy Land. Yet during his journey, Feiler's previously abstract faith grew more grounded. ("I began to feel a certain pull from the landscape.... It was a feeling of gravity. A feeling that I wanted to take off all my clothes and lie facedown in the soil.") Feiler's attentiveness, intelligence, and adventurousness enliven every page of this book. And the lessons he learned about the relationship between place and the spirit will be useful for readers of every religious tradition that finds its origins in the Bible. --Michael Joseph Gross

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:07 -0400)

The author recounts his ten-thousand-mile journey across the Middle East in search of the roots of the Bible to discover whether it was an abstraction or a living, breathing entity.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,832,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible