Walking the Bible: A Journey by Land Through…

Walking the Bible: A Journey by Land Through the Five Books of Moses (2001)

by Bruce Feiler

Both a heart-racing adventure and an uplifting quest, Walking the Bible describes one man's epic odyssey—by foot, jeep, rowboat, and camel—through the greatest stories every told. From crossing the Red Sea to climbing Mount Sinai to touching the burning bush, Bruce Feiler's inspiring journey will forever change your view of some of history's most storied events.… (more)
    The Great Code: The Bible and Literature by Northrop Frye (charlie68)
    Words with Power: Being a Second Study of "The Bible and Literature" by Northrop Frye (charlie68)
    charlie68: Similar in depth criticism of the Bible.
    The Pillars of Hercules by Paul Theroux (charlie68)
    charlie68: Also a travelogue through the same region with similar experiences.
    Walking the Bible: A Photographic Journey by Bruce Feiler (bachrach44)
    bachrach44: If you liked the book, this is the coffee table sized picture book that goes with it.
    Abraham: A Journey to the Heart of Three Faiths by Bruce Feiler (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Less of a travelogue, but a much more detailed account of Western Religion's Gilgamesh, Heracles, Super-hero.

An informative exploration of the history of the Jews that took place in the first five books of the Bible. Also a tour around the ancient sites and how they impact the people living there today. It is also deeply spiritual so it might not be for everyone. ( )
  charlie68 | Apr 12, 2019 |
The author's true odyssey begins on 16,984 ft. high Mt. Ararat and ends on Mt. Nebo, perhaps standing where Moses had stood when he knew he would never cross to the Promised Land. This is an eloquent, informed, often funny travelogue.

"After high school I lost touch with the religious community of my childhood. But as I traveled I found certain feelings resurfacing, The idea of writing about the Bible sneaked up on me. In Jerusalem an old friend, Fred, was giving a tour. 'And over there," the said, pointing to the Dome of the Rock, " is the cliff where Abraham went to sacrifice Isaac.' Real or not, that piece of information hit me like a bolt of lightening. It had never occurred to me that that story -- so timeless, so abstract -- might have happened in a place so identifiable, that I could visit. It had never occurred to me that the story was so concrete, so connected to the ground. To here. To now."

"In subsequent weeks I had the same experience in a variety of places. I realized the Bible is not some abstraction, nor some book gathering dust. It's a living, breathing entity unencumbered by the sterilization of time." NOV 2004
  saintbedefg | Feb 7, 2019 |
this was our chicklit selection and we all agreed that it had value and we were glad to have read it, but it was soooo slow. ( )
  bereanna | Aug 4, 2015 |
This book is an inspirational oasis from the Sinai desert that the people of Israel travelled on a circular path for forty years , Fieler travels with this people whose paths he traces and comes out in the land of milk and honey- renewed and transformed.Full of wonder and awe 'Walking the Bible' is a powerful and spiritual pilgrimmage and Feiler inserts a sense of poetry about the land. ( )
  mrkurtz | Apr 14, 2015 |
So, I read and reviewed the book Where God Was Born without realizing that it was a sequel to a previous journey until the author responded to my review on Twitter (oops!). This journey goes to the places of the five books of Moses in Turkey, Palestine, Israel, Jordan, Syria, and Egypt. Feiler summarizes the stories of patriarchs Noah, Abraham, Jacob, Joseph, and Moses alongside his own travel adventure. He depicts his personal religious journey as desire to be at the exact places being replaced by a understanding of the symbolism of the land. Feiler also engages in ialogue with many people Jewish and Islam about the differences between Jewish scripture and Quran. No matter what order you read them in, these two books are terrific companions to anyone's spiritual journey. ( )
  Othemts | Dec 30, 2014 |
FOR MY SISTER

May your descendants be as numerous as the stars
Heather Moskowitz
The call to prayer sounded just after 3 p.m.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,375,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible