Dark Matter (2010)

by Michelle Paver

'What is it? What does it want? Why is it angry with me?' January 1937 Clouds of war are gathering over a fogbound London. Twenty-eight year old Jack is poor, lonely and desperate to change his life. So when he's offered the chance to be the wireless operator on an Arctic expedition, he jumps at it. Spirits are high as the ship leaves Norway: five men and eight huskies, crossing the Barents Sea by the light of the midnight sun. At last they reach the remote, uninhabited bay where they will camp for the next year. Gruhuken. But the Arctic summer is brief. As night returns to claim the land, Jack feels a creeping unease. One by one, his companions are forced to leave. He faces a stark choice. Stay or go. Soon he will see the last of the sun, as the polar night engulfs the camp in months of darkness. Soon he will reach the point of no return - when the sea will freeze, making escape impossible. And Gruhuken is not uninhabited. Jack is not alone. Something walks there in the dark.… (more)
    The Woman in Black by Susan Hill (bibliobeck)
    bibliobeck: Both beautifully written and menacing rather than horrific, both about men alone in baren environments and both perfect for reading on a cold night in front of the fire!
    Cold Earth by Sarah Moss (alalba)
    The Terror by Dan Simmons (Jannes)
    Jannes: More Arctic horror. Simmons might is a bit more viceral, but the heart of the horror - the cold, darkness and isolation of the arctic north - is the same in both novels.

English (58)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (60)
Thoroughly enjoyable and gripping ghost story. The characters are well drawn, the Arctic location wonderfully described and the chills accompanied by just the right amount of sorrow. Excellent. ( )
  whatmeworry | Apr 9, 2022 |
Welp good thing I never planned to go to the Arctic. ( )
  Luminous-Path | Mar 26, 2022 |
I really enjoyed this book overall. The writing was very good while still being accessible and it was an extremely approachable length. However, the ending felt a little rushed and I feel like the final payoff fell a little lackluster emotionally. I did get scared during most of the first half or two-thirds of the book, but the closer it came to the climax, I became distracted with my fear for the dog and less preoccupied with my fear for the main character. Overall, I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes ghost stories or arctic exploration. ( )
  This_Squid | Feb 14, 2022 |
This story never got going for me. The author does a good job of of creating atmosphere but the story lacked tension and the plot simply lagged. I gave up about halfway through. ( )
  blnq | Dec 26, 2021 |
Really gruesome at the end. Left a horrible vision that lingered rather badly for a few days. I wouldn't say it kept me awake, but while I was awake at night it kept repeating on me. Very well written which its why it kept repeating but I don't want to read too many like that! This is one of a number of fictional accounts based on expeditions to the Arctic (last one 'The Voyage of the Narwal')and I have another in my pile of books. After that I shall read about the voyage of the Fram and get back to real horrors..... ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jan 23, 2021 |
Det är sällan jag blir så rädd att jag inte kan läsa klart en bok. Men det finns gränser: hade jag läst ut ”Evig natt” den kvällen så hade jag inte kunnat sova alls
added by Jannes | editDagens nyheter, Lotta Olsson (Oct 31, 2011)

Dear Dr Murchison, forgive me for this rather belated reply to your letter.
This is a bad mistake. The one who walks. You have seen it. Ja?
Out of nowhere, for no reason, I was afraid. My skin prickled. My heart thudded in my throat. My body knew before I did that I was not alone. Thirty yards away on the rocks, something moved.

It's winter in the
Arctic, and there's something
Stirring in the dark ...
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,762,676 books! | Top bar: Always visible