SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

Dreadnought

by Cherie Priest

Series: The Clockwork Century (2)

Mercy Lynch is just a frustrated nurse who wants to see her father before he dies. But she'll have to survive both Union intrigue and Confederate opposition if she wants to make it off the Union-operated, Tacoma-bound "Dreadnought" alive.
    Boneshaker by Cherie Priest (iamiam)
    iamiam: "Boneshaker" precedes "Dreadnought" in the series by this author, plus their time-lines follow this order, but neither is dependent upon the other for comprehension of story.
    Soulless by Gail Carriger (jlparent)
    jlparent: Another strong heroine; solid alternate history, great pacing
    Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (SunnySD)
    Corsets and Clockwork: 13 Steampunk Romances by Trisha Telep (SunnySD)

English (49)  French (1)  All languages (50)
This is a second book in a series, and it shows. I didn't like it half as much as the first, but soldiered my way through to the end. ( )
  Enno23 | Aug 15, 2021 |
I'm really beginning to enjoy the series for the well-drawn examples of the world of an extremely drawn out American civil war and a time period where technological advances now border on the peculiarly modernish Japanese fascination with huge walking robots. Most fascinating about this novel was the scenes aboard the train with the same name as the novel. I really felt like I was reading a travelogue that just happened to have airship crashes, zombie outbreaks, train chase scenes, and lots of spies. It was a plan dear to read. I never knew a nurse in the civil war could get herself into so much trouble just getting on commercial passenger rail.

Now that I've gone through three novels I'm not complaining as I had complained with the first one. Things don't really require resolution, the way the author is placing us deep into the story as it progresses. It's not about the tying up of loose ends. It's about showing us the world and watching how the characters in it survive or don't. I should have guessed it when we're dealing with zombies, but surprisingly enough, zombies are just for tension in the novels, not the main topic. That's a good thing, by the way. I much prefer to see character novels over a world war z treatment.

I really enjoyed reading about our nurse and her adventure, and I think I enjoyed this one all the better for remembering our erstwhile spy from book 2. It was curious and fascinating to see how we got from point a to point e. I've developed a lot of faith in the writer to know she'll get us where she hints we'll go. I suspect she could draw out some unlikely characters in the future to get some other big things accomplished. (Even if the big things are tangential to the promise of the book.)

On to the next! ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Really enjoying these books, mainly because--thank God!--the main characters are smart, strong, different women (mothers, nurses, etc.) It's a fun world, over all, too. ( )
  Loryndalar | Mar 19, 2020 |
I liked this more than the first book in the series, [b:Boneshaker|1137215|Boneshaker (The Clockwork Century, #1)|Cherie Priest|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1433161048s/1137215.jpg|1124460]. It is firmly an adult read, where the last book could have gone either way between teen read or an adult read. There was more nuance to the lead characters and it didn't have such a firm grasp on right and wrong. I'm glad I decided to soldier on with this series! ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
Liked all of it but the zombies, my least favorite part of the previous book as well. (Why do other people like zombie books?) ( )
  ranaverde | Dec 24, 2018 |

Cherie Priestprimary authorall editionscalculated
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Down in the laundry room with the bloody-wet floors and the ceiling-high stacks of sheets, wraps, and blankets, Vinita Lynch was elbows-deep in a vat full of dirty pillowcases because she'd promised-she'd sworn on her mother's life-that she'd find a certain windup pock watch belonging to Private Hugh Morton before the device was plunged into a tub of simmering soapy water and surely destroyed for good.

endless civil war
a brave nurse crosses the country
zombies are hungry
(Cymor)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,339,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible