Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson

Before I Go to Sleep (2011)

by S. J. Watson

3,5013151,516 (3.74)1 / 174

English (293)  Dutch (10)  French (4)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (312)
Good thriller. ( )
  INorris | Apr 20, 2015 |
This book is a fast paced thriller with not much emphasis on the thriller. I found it very difficult to put down but I found that it really only classifies as a thriller towards the very end.
I can't even imagine how life for Christine. How you wake up every single day the same, thinking you are in your 20's with your whole life ahead of you and then with no idea who you are or who anyone else is, where you are, and with no memories of your life. I found it so sad that her whole life was stolen, she couldn't remember anything that happened. Her life was so alone, she had no parents, no friends, because what's the point of hanging out with people you won't remember the next day. And day after day her husband would tell her again and again, the events of her life.
After she starts keeping a journal, she finds so many discrepancies with what her husband is telling her from day to day. One story of her life one day can totally change the next time Ben tells it. And what happened to Adam? What event robbed her of everything?
While reading it, I am mentally telling Christine not to ever tell Ben about the journal or the things she's discovered as I just didn't trust him at all. She's so confused with all the lies she's been told, can she trust Ben, or Claire or dr Nash?
I did find the book a little repetitious which really can't be helped since every day for Christine is like "Groundhog Day" with the same thing over and over but sometimes it seemed the same thing was happening and there wasn't a lot of change in the events.
I had a few suspicions and this book had me flying through to the conclusion, I had to know. And as the end came, I still felt sad for Christine, and all she had lost that she can't ever regain.
But thriller or mystery or whatever, still a great book. I am curious to see the movie, I can see Colin Firth in the earlier portion of the book but I cannot picture him as the Ben of later in the book. ( )
  maggie1961 | Apr 4, 2015 |
No memory of previous day after sleep ( )
  keithgordonvernon | Apr 1, 2015 |
I started this book in December. Since then I have read 6 other books and
watched 3 seasons of House of Cards. IF this does not hint at dissatisfaction
with the read I don't know what does!
Continuing to read this book has been like a forced march through a slog of
redundancy!
I kept reading on as 3 out of 4 in my reading circle raved about it. If I did not
know better I would say that busy,little elves were re-typing this story each night
after I put it down and lacking imagination kept on writing the same stuff over and
over and over again!
I am no stranger to the damsel in distress,psychological thrillers having read many
over the course of the years. I was so disinterested in what was really going on
with this boring character and her equally appearing to be,long suffering husband
that I wasted no mental energy in trying to figure out what the heck was going on.
Then my first thought was to throw the book across the room as I said to myself
"all this for that plot twist"? What a waste of my time.
So I am going back to another amnesia story,Stella Bain. Some did not like this book
but Anita Shreve is a far,far better writer with her excellent but sparse prose......nary
a word wasted! ( )
1 vote MEENIEREADS | Mar 13, 2015 |
Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson is one suspense thriller I could not set down. Each time I tried, or thought I could,. I realized I needed to know just a little bit more and so one and before I knew it the day was gone. I highly recommend Before I Go To Sleep to anyone who enjoys a well written suspenseful thriller. ( )
  knittingmomof3 | Feb 25, 2015 |
What if you woke up every morning, confused and lost? What if the body you woke up in was not the body you remember going to sleep in? What if you were oblivious to the events of the last 30 years of your life? Memories are what define all of us as people. But when you wake up, tangled in lies, visions and fleeting images of memories that seem to dark and fiction to seem real, how do you make sense of that?

Welcome to the life of Christine Lucas, a middle aged woman suffering from extreme amnesia, who has no memory of what happened in her life for her past 30 years. When she sleeps, her memory melts away, like snow on a spring day.

The highly acclaimed, internationally best seller is truly a suspenseful, interesting and gripping book that will keep you entertained for all 356 pages of it. For lovers of Mysteries, this is a must read book, and I highly recommend it to everybody.
added by davidboot | editEnglish 9, David Boot (Jan 28, 2013)

What if you woke up every morning, confused and lost, and unfamiliar with your own reflection in the mirror? What would you do when you wake up, tangled in lies, visions and fleeting images of memories that seem to dark and fiction to seem real?

Welcome to the life of Christine Lucas, a victim of an unsettling accident leaving her unable to retain memories for longer than 24 hours. When she sleeps, her memory melts away, like snow on a spring day. Keeping a diary of her daily events, she fits the pieces of her life puzzle together; she reaches a disturbing conclusion.

The Journal style format of this book creates a truly unique style of writing, one that truly pulls you into the struggles of Christine’s daily life. The narration gives the reader a striking insight into the daily battle of discovering her identity. However, the style of daily journal entries can make the book slow at parts, but much like a roller coaster, it is all simply preparation for the plunge of excitement.

For lovers of mysteries and psychological thrillers, this is a must read book. However, I still highly recommend it to everybody. The sudden flashbacks, the distorted images and the faint impression that things are not at all what they seem. This book will make you rethink all of your unclear memories; it will keep you extremely entertained.

added by davidboot | editEnglish 9, David Boot (Jan 27, 2013)

The ending feels hurried; a sentimental postscript to the meticulously plotted main event. But these are minor gripes. Before I Go to Sleep is an enjoyable and impressive first novel. Like the best of its thematic predecessors, it is also an affecting moral allegory: don't forget your loved ones. Or else.

The most unnerving aspect of Before I Go to Sleep is the way it is rooted in the domestic, the suburban, the trivial. Forget whizz-bang futurism: it proceeds from ordinary life in tiny, terrifying steps, and is all the better for it.

Watson’s pitch-perfect writing propels the story to a frenzied climax that will haunt readers long after they’ve closed the cover on this remarkable book.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Mar 1, 2011)

I was born tomorrow
today I live
yesterday killed me

—PARVIZ OWSIA
For my mother, and for Nicholas
The bedroom is strange.

As I sleep, my mind will erase everything I did today. I will wake up tomorrow as I did this morning. Thinking I'm still a child. Thinking I have a whole lifetime of choice ahead of me...

Memories define us.

So what if you lost yours every time you went to sleep?

Your name, your identity, your past, even the people you love — all forgotten overnight.

And the one person you trust may only be telling you half the story.

Every day Christine wakes up not knowing where she is. Her memories disappear every time she falls asleep. Her husband, Ben, is a stranger to her, and he's obligated to explain their life together on a daily basis — all the result of a mysterious accident that made Christine an amnesiac.

With the encouragement of her doctor, Christine starts a journal to help jog her memory every day. One morning, she opens it and sees that she's written three unexpected and terrifying words: "Don't trust Ben." Suddenly everything her husband has told her falls under suspicion.

What kind of accident caused her condition? Who can she trust? Why is Ben lying to her? And, for the reader: Can Christine’s story be trusted?

To Christine, each day
Is a blank page. Who can she
Trust? Can we trust her?
(passion4reading)

An amnesiac attempts to reconstruct her past by keeping a journal and discovers the dangerous inconsistencies in the stories of her husband and her secret doctor.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1921758155, 1921758988

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,724,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible