A Song of Ice and Fire 1-4: A Game of…

A Song of Ice and Fire 1-4: A Game of Thrones / A Feast for Crows / A…

by George R. R. Martin

Recently added byprivate library, lrigge, Leaky37, William-Tucker, jaccavrie, EJMAES1973, lps3, mindlace, rvivek84, darkl

English (16)  French (1)  All languages (17)
Mostly compelling storytelling but akin to crossing a bog. When the plot actually advances, you love the characters and tale. Beware, there is a fair bit of slogging in between. ( )
  mossland | Jun 15, 2013 |
Fantastic! Read the whole collection. ( )
  Dave4 | Feb 15, 2013 |
I LOVE this series. The world is immense, the characters are multi-faceted and unpredictable, and the story is one of the most epic and brilliantly devises I've ever read. GRRM is a genius. ( )
1 vote TheBookViewer | Sep 18, 2012 |
Book Title: "Game of Thrones”
Author: George R.R. Martin
Published By: Bantam Books
Age Recommended: 18+
Reviewed By: Kitty Bullard
Raven Rating: 5

Review: I seldom read one book out of a series and give a review. Usually, I will wait until I have finished the entire series and then give a collaborative review that sums up the writers complete work. I may be the only one that holds such an opinion, but when I write this I mean it sincerely. George R. R. Martin’s “Ice & Fire” series is not one of those series you could possibly review as a set. My reasons for this assumption are as follows; these books are so in depth so profoundly well-written and so amazingly astute that they simply must have the justice of their own individual reviews.
When I started this endeavor I went the route less traveled and actually began by watching the first season on television before ever having picked up the first novel. I actually thought there was no possible way the book could be even remotely as good as the show. Boy was I wrong. Even though the television show follows the book to a ‘T’ there is simply no substitute for the writing genius of the magnanimous, George R. R. Martin. This man has the profound ability to breathe life into his characters to the point that you sincerely believe they were once real. Eddard Stark is the kind of man every child would want as a father, every woman would dream of as their husband and yet he still has a hard edge that denotes a strength unlike any you could imagine. What I love most about George though, is his complete faith in his readers which allows him to take a character like Eddard Stark and kill him just as you’re falling in love with him all the while knowing that his many other remarkable characters have captured you so completely in their web that you have no choice but to continue on because you, yourself, have unwittingly become a part of “The Game of Thrones.”
This review must end here because I fear I will give away too much and readers that have yet to embark upon this journey will ever forgive me. I do however, wish the readers to know that once you start you’ll never want it to end and you will find that even trying to take a break in between and pick up another book to read is completely impossible. Be prepared to spend a good part of your next few months reading this series and know that it will not be time wasted, yet time well spent enriching and in some cases redeeming your love of great fantasy writing. Now, it is on to book two for me! I’ll be back! ( )
  GMTAPublishing | Aug 2, 2012 |
By Martin's own admission ‘A Feast For Crows’ is essentially, half a book. He intended to write in other plots and characters as well but then the sheer length of the manuscript got too large and he decided to move the second half into a new book ‘A Dance With Dragons’, due for publication in July 2011. I'm glad that I started re-reading the series recently as I only have to wait about three months for the next instalment.

‘A Feast For Crows’ tells the story of events picking up from where ‘A Storm Of Swords’ left off. It is powerfully written and Machiavellian in scope. The post-war Seven Kingdoms is a murky world where one misstep means death, but a lucky gambler can win all. Characters are seeking power (Euron, Cersei, Victarion) or redemption (Arys Oakheart, Brienne, Jaime), but rarely finding what they are looking for.
Perhaps the book lacks the thunderous pace of its predecessors, but it’s quiet and subtle advancement of the story is every bit as gripping and surprising.

The book has its flaws - the Dornish and Iron Island chapters could have been done through one new character apiece rather than introducing numerous one-off characters - but these are minor.
The only other real negative is that the booked ended with quite a lot of cliff hangers and because these characters won't be revisited until the book after next it's going to be ages until we find out their fate.

I'm getting a bit old to read these books in public so I hope the next one rewards me for my bravery with a little less padding and lot more content!

Having said that, the man's a top storymaker and I was captured from the start. Fans of the series will enjoy it but newcomers beware...
  Jawin | Jul 15, 2012 |

Contains

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

Le Trône de fer, tome 02: Le donjon rouge by Georges R. R. Martin (indirect)

Il trono di spade. Le cronache del ghiaccio e del fuoco by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Il grande inverno by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Sagan om is och eld. Kampen om järntronen by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

I vargens tid by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin

Le Trône de fer, tome 03: La bataille des rois by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Le Trône de fer, tome 04: L'Ombre maléfique by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Le Trône de fer, tome 05: L'invincible forteresse by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

The kingdom of wolves by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

La regina dei draghi. Le cronache del ghiaccio e del fuoco by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin

Le Trône de fer, tome 06: Les brigands/Intrigues à Port-Réal by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Le Trône de fer, tome 07: L'épée de feu by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Le Trône de fer, tome 08: Les noces pourpres by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Le Trône de fer, tome 09: La loi du régicide by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Tempesta di spade. Le cronache del ghiaccio e del fuoco vol. 5 by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

I fiumi della guerra. Le cronache del ghiaccio e del fuoco vol. 6 by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Il portale delle tenebre: cronache del ghiaccio e del fuoco by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

A Storm of Swords Part 1: Steel and Snow by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

A Storm of Swords Part 2: Blood and Gold by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin

Le Trône de fer, tome 10: Le chaos by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Le Trône de fer, tome 11: Les sables de Dorne by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Le Trône de fer, tome 12: Un festin pour les corbeaux by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Il dominio della regina: cronache del ghiaccio e del fuoco by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Shadow of the Prophecy by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

O Mar de Ferro by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345529057, Mass Market Paperback)

George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series has become, in many ways, the gold standard for modern epic fantasy. Martin--dubbed the "American Tolkien" by Time magazine--has created a world that is as rich and vital as any piece of historical fiction, set in an age of knights and chivalry and filled with a plethora of fascinating, multidimensional characters that you love, hate to love, or love to hate as they struggle for control of a divided kingdom. It is this very vitality that has led it to be adapted as the HBO miniseries "Game of Thrones."

This boxed set includes the following novels:
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:51 -0400)

As the Seven Kingdoms face a generation-long winter, the royal Stark family confronts the poisonous plots of the rival Lannisters, the emergence of the Neverborn demons, the arrival of barbarian hordes, and other threats.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,470,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible