A Song of Ice and Fire 1-4: A Game of…

A Song of Ice and Fire 1-4: A Game of Thrones / A Feast for Crows / A…

by George R. R. Martin

Recently added bymeizzner, bdtrump, tyrelsouza, songbirdz, LisaMariaC, private library, reivilo, sschoonover

English (18)  French (1)  All languages (19)
This is a series that I've heard compared to Tolkien--but really has a completely different feel than Lord of the Rings and I'm not sure if in the end it will compare in classic status--some of that depends on how strong the series as a whole stands up when completed. It's certainly told in a much more intimate, straightforward way than Tolkien. Martin's narrative skills are top-notch, but I wouldn't call him lyrical or poetic. His characters are more rounded and moving than Tolkien's legendary figures. And God knows, Martin's female characters are much, much stronger--among the strongest I've read in fantasy. I once saw a clip of Martin being interviewed. He was asked how is it he writes such strong women characters. His answer was priceless--that he had always thought of women as people.

He also though paints a very gritty dark world. Not fairy-tale dark with Dark Lords--but one that reads more often like historical fiction, even horror than high fantasy--knights and ladies notwithstanding. Supposedly this series is inspired by the English War of the Roses between the Lancasters and the Yorks. You can even see that in the names of two opposing families focused upon, the Lannisters and the Starks. But it's not as if it's a one to one correspondence in characters or plot points--that might be a launch off point, but there's nothing predictable in the twists and turns of plot here. Martin doesn't hesitate to be cruel to his characters, and it can be unsettling. If you want your guaranteed happily ever after--well, I suspect this isn't your series. No one is safe. But that does mean the stakes are higher, and when a character you care about is in danger, you're at the edge of your seat, because you know it matters--terrible things can happen.

However, I do have some concerns about where Martin is going--beyond the fear favorite characters are not going to make it to the end alive, let alone happy. There was over five years between the fourth and fifth books which was finally published a couple of years ago. Supposedly Martin has shared with producers of the HBO series based on the books his end game--so that does give me some hope we'll get a resolution, one way or another. But it might not be for a long, long time. And I haven't read the latest book yet that comes after these Dances with Dragons, but people whose reviews I respect claim it's a mess, and I know from the book preceding, A Feast of Crows that he basically split the manuscript for that in two, and not chronologically, but by character so they overlap. I don't think that choice is entirely successful even with that book. But I'll say this--I've gotten through literally thousands of pages of this series--and I wasn't bored and I still care. ( )
  LisaMariaC | Feb 28, 2015 |
Bombastisch und episch; mehr lässt sich dazu nicht sagen. ( )
  Telaara_Dunwin | Aug 10, 2014 |
Mostly compelling storytelling but akin to crossing a bog. When the plot actually advances, you love the characters and tale. Beware, there is a fair bit of slogging in between. ( )
  mossland | Jun 15, 2013 |
Fantastic! Read the whole collection. ( )
  Dave4 | Feb 15, 2013 |
I LOVE this series. The world is immense, the characters are multi-faceted and unpredictable, and the story is one of the most epic and brilliantly devises I've ever read. GRRM is a genius. ( )
1 vote TheBookViewer | Sep 18, 2012 |

Contains

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

Le Trône de fer, tome 02: Le donjon rouge by Georges R. R. Martin (indirect)

Il trono di spade. Le cronache del ghiaccio e del fuoco by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Il grande inverno by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Sagan om is och eld. Kampen om järntronen by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

I vargens tid by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Die Herren von Winterfell. Das Lied von Eis und Feuer 01. by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Das Lied von Eis und Feuer 02: Das Erbe von Winterfell by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin

Le Trône de fer, tome 03: La bataille des rois by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Le Trône de fer, tome 04: L'Ombre maléfique by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Le Trône de fer, tome 05: L'invincible forteresse by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Il regno dei lupi. Le cronache del ghiaccio e del fuoco vol. 3 by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

La regina dei draghi. Le cronache del ghiaccio e del fuoco by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Das Lied von Eis und Feuer 03: Der Thron der Sieben Königreiche by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Das Lied von Eis und Feuer 04: Die Saat des goldenen Löwen by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin

Le Trône de fer, tome 06: Les brigands/Intrigues à Port-Réal by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Le Trône de fer, tome 07: L'épée de feu by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Le Trône de fer, tome 08: Les noces pourpres by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Le Trône de fer, tome 09: La loi du régicide by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Tempesta di spade. Le cronache del ghiaccio e del fuoco vol. 5 by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

I fiumi della guerra. Le cronache del ghiaccio e del fuoco vol. 6 by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Il portale delle tenebre. Le cronache del ghiaccio e del fuoco vol. 7 by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

A Storm of Swords Part 1: Steel and Snow by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

A Storm of Swords Part 2: Blood and Gold by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin

Le Trône de fer, tome 10: Le chaos by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Le Trône de fer, tome 11: Les sables de Dorne by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Le Trône de fer, tome 12: Un festin pour les corbeaux by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Il dominio della Regina. Le cronache del ghiaccio e del fuoco vol. 8 by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Shadow of the Prophecy by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

O Mar de Ferro by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Zeit der Krähen. Das Lied von Eis und Feuer 07 by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Die dunkle Königin. Das Lied von Eis und Feuer 08 by George R. R. Martin (indirect)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345529057, Mass Market Paperback)

George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series has become, in many ways, the gold standard for modern epic fantasy. Martin--dubbed the "American Tolkien" by Time magazine--has created a world that is as rich and vital as any piece of historical fiction, set in an age of knights and chivalry and filled with a plethora of fascinating, multidimensional characters that you love, hate to love, or love to hate as they struggle for control of a divided kingdom. It is this very vitality that has led it to be adapted as the HBO miniseries "Game of Thrones."

This boxed set includes the following novels:
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:51 -0400)

As the Seven Kingdoms face a generation-long winter, the royal Stark family confronts the poisonous plots of the rival Lannisters, the emergence of the Neverborn demons, the arrival of barbarian hordes, and other threats.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,151,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible