Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

Uncle Tom's Cabin (1852)

by Harriet Beecher Stowe

Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet A. Jacobs (LisaMaria_C)
    LisaMaria_C: This is the slave narrative of Harriet Jacobs and shares with Stowe a Christian sensibility and emphasis on how slavery destroys a slaves moral agency.

English (141)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  All languages (153)
A very interesting and informative description of dark times that most of us might prefer to go through life not 'knowing' but must learn about in detail not in a glossed over history book. ( )
  Velmeran | Jan 26, 2019 |
So much more than I expected. While I wouldn't say it's the greatest book I've ever read, I thought it was a good read. Yes, the author relies pretty heavily on stereotypes (for all her characters, regardless of skin color), and the end is almost too neat for me to keep my cynicism at bay. Having read it, though, I am now even more confused at why someone would hurl "Uncle Tom" as an insult, since he is an almost Messianic character. (Perhaps I'm too simple to understand that bit.) Historically speaking: I can see why this book made waves when it was published. Certainly worth taking the time to read. ( )
1 vote SMBrick | Feb 25, 2018 |
The story of Tom and his unflinching honor and kindness, the courage of Eliza escaping with her child across the river ice, the cruelty inflicted by the horrible Simon Legree, the efforts of the Shelbys and the St. Clares to live morally in an immoral system: these are great stories told well. The influence of the Christian religion on the author and thus on her characters is all-pervading and oppressive after a while. The book does read as a polemic and, no doubt, an effective one at the time. It is read now for its place in history rather than its intrinsic value as literature, I think. ( )
  gbelik | Jan 8, 2018 |
"Biblioteca Universal de Clásicos Juveniles"
  IICANA | Nov 4, 2017 |
Although the American anti-slavery movement had existed at least as long as the nation itself, Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin (1852) galvanized public opinion as nothing had before. The book sold 10,000 copies in its first week and 300,000 in its first year. Its vivid dramatization of slavery's cruelties so aroused readers that is said that Abraham Lincoln told Stowe her work had been a catalyst for the Civil War.

Today the novel is often labeled condescending, but its characters still have the power to move our hearts. Stowe's Tom is actually American literature's first black hero, a man who suffers for refusing to obey his white oppressors. Uncle Tom's Cabin is a living, relevant story, passionate in its vivid depiction of the cruelest forms of injustice--and the courage it takes to fight against them.
  cdiemert | Jul 30, 2017 |

Mackey, William, Jr.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Noto Soeroto, TrisnatiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riel, Ton vanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wayboer, Jos.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Late in the afternoon of a chilly day in February, two gentlemen were sitting alone over their wine, in a well-furnished dining-parlor, in the town of P_______, in Kentucky.
"Your heart is better than your head, in this case, John," said the wife, laying her little white hand on his. "Could I ever have loved you, had I not known you better than you know yourself?"
Of course, in a novel, people's hearts break, and they die, and that is the end of it; and in a story this is very convenient. But in real life we do not die when all that makes life bright to us dies to us. There is a most busy and important round of eating, drinking, dressing, walking, visiting, buying, selling, talking, reading, and all that makes up what is commonly called living, yet to be gone through; and this yet remained to Augustine.
"Well," said St. Clare, "suppose that something should bring down the price of cotton once and forever, and make the whole slave property a drug in the market, don't you think we should soon have another version of the Scripture doctrine? What a flood of light would pour into the church, all at once, and how immediately it would be discovered that everything in the Bible and reason went the other way!"
The Young Folks' Edition of Uncle Tom's Cabin has different text and ~92 pages; please do not combine with the main work.

in

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553212184, Mass Market Paperback)

Uncle Tom, Topsy, Sambo, Simon Legree, little Eva: their names are American bywords, and all of them are characters in Harriet Beecher Stowe's remarkable novel of the pre-Civil War South. Uncle Tom's Cabin was revolutionary in 1852 for its passionate indictment of slavery and for its presentation of Tom, "a man of humanity," as the first black hero in American fiction. Labeled racist and condescending by some contemporary critics, it remains a shocking, controversial, and powerful work -- exposing the attitudes of white nineteenth-century society toward "the peculiar institution" and documenting, in heartrending detail, the tragic breakup of black Kentucky families "sold down the river." An immediate international sensation, Uncle Tom's Cabin sold 300,000 copies in the first year, was translated into thirty-seven languages, and has never gone out of print: its political impact was immense, its emotional influence immeasurable.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:17 -0400)

First published 1852

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,586,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible