Behind The Scenes at The Museum by Kate…

Behind The Scenes at The Museum

by Kate Atkinson

The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (Smiler69)
    The Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx (Smiler69)
    Falling Angels by Tracy Chevalier (souci)
    souci: A not-romanticized look at the period
    When God Was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman (jayne_charles)
    Human Croquet by Kate Atkinson (starfishian)
    starfishian: Atkinson has written books in a variety of genres, settings and topics. Human Croquet reminds me very much of Behind the Scenes; if you liked one, no doubt you will like the other.
    Family Baggage by Monica McInerney (KimarieBee)
    The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber (hbsweet)

English (110)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (115)
Not my favorite among the Kate Atkinson novels I've read, but still very enjoyable; it's easy to see in this the seeds of some of her later stories, too. ( )
  JBD1 | Jun 8, 2019 |
I didn't hate this book. I'm not sorry I read it. Two stars = it was OK. But I really can't recommend it. There are a lot better books to read before this one. The narrator, Ruby Lennox, is likable - and the tone is often humorous and witty, but it is overall a dark book. This is a story of a dysfunctional family of several generations. What makes it all a jumble is it skips around in time from chapter to chapter - beginning with Ruby's conception, then back to her great grandmother as a young wife, then to WWII, then the 1950s, back and forth from chapter to chapter, etc. There are too many characters to keep track of, and they often reappear later in the story, which causes either confusion or understanding (or both). There seems to be no logic to the book's (dis)organization, and Ruby's hints of things to come (death, fire, affairs) end up being spoilers. Plus - what is the meaning of the title? Finally, don't be misled by the praise on the book jacket. ( )
  PhyllisReads | Apr 27, 2019 |
this review is for the audiobook edition, narrated by pearl hewitt.

so, i read this book as a paperback, probably around 2005, with a book club i belonged to at the time. i remembered very little from it, but remember that, during our meeting for the book, everyone loved it and i was kind 'meh' about it. well... that stands as accurate for me still. but i can't quite put my finger on why i have reacted that way to the story? i did find the writing and flow to be pretty choppy, so it was hard to get into a consistent rhythm with it. and for all the sadness and challenges atkinson's characters face, it was all a bit flat for me. i will say that pearl hewitt does a lovely job as narrator -- i would rate her work 4-stars! but, overall this is not a story i loved. ( )
  Booktrovert | Apr 25, 2019 |
Having read and loved Atkinson's three mysteries, I'd put off reading any of her "literary fiction," mostly because the term "literary fiction" really bothers me because it basically just means "not genre." Anyway, everything I loved about Atkinson's mysteries was here as well: amazing characterization, interesting metaphors, perfect pacing and multiple narrators and storylines that all work together.

Ruby Lennox starts narrating her life at the moment of her conception, and each chapter in the book is a snapshot of one event that happened in each year of her life. Each chapter is followed by a footnote that relates to the chapter but examines the history of Ruby's family. As time passes, she (and you!) learn more about the secrets of the Lennox family. There eventually is a revelation that is a little bit unbelievable, but overall it didn't really distract from the excellence of this novel. ( )
  covertprestige | Feb 24, 2019 |
This was an interesting novel--in some ways a family saga, but broken up and rearranged. Not stream of consciousness. I'm not sure what organization the author had in mind. The characters were interesting but I kept losing track of who was who and what order events happened in. Guess I'm old fashioned. Give me a Delderfield for family saga.
  ritaer | Nov 21, 2018 |

Simó, VictoriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torndahl, LenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Eve and Helen
I exist!
The past's what you take with you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312150601, Paperback)

"I exist!" exclaims Ruby Lennox upon her conception in 1951, setting the tone for this humorous and poignant first novel in which Ruby at once celebrates and mercilessly skewers her middle-class English family. Peppered with tales of flawed family traits passed on from previous generations, Ruby's narrative examines the lives in her disjointed clan, which revolve around the family pet shop. But beneath the antics of her philandering father, her intensely irritable mother, her overly emotional sisters, and a gaggle of eccentric relatives are darker secrets--including an odd "feeling of something long forgotten"--that will haunt Ruby for the rest of her life. Kate Atkinson earned a Whitbread Prize in 1995 for this fine first effort.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:32 -0400)

"Apaga la tele, enciende la imaginacin. Estudios recientes han revelado que los nis y las nias de nuestra sociedad pasan ms de tres horas diarias frente al televisor. Los pedagogos advierten que este hbito favorece la obesidad, los problemas de visin y la pasividad en los ms pequeos. Qu podemos hacer?" Las propuestas de este libro proporcionan a los nios alternativas a la televisin o a la videoconsola. Estas iniciativas didticas nos permiten disfrutar de buenos ratos al lado de nuestros hijos, e incluso darles los intrumentos para que se diviertan solos mientras aprenden"--Contraportada.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,658,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible