Mudbound by Hillary Jordan

Mudbound

by Hillary Jordan

English (148)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (149)
In MUDBOUND, the author tells this story through the eyes of a husband, the wife, the brother in law, the husband's father, and the sharecroppers that work on their farm. Having grown up in the South, I can attest to the dialect being accurate (unlike some of the "colored" dialect in THE HELP). I was quickly drawn into this story of a WW2 era family and what they go through when they move to a small farm far away from any type of civilization or indoor plumbing and desperately try to make a go of it.They are surrounded by a handful of bigoted townspeople who wear KKK hoods at night, and whatever one has heard about the way the klan treated blacks in the last century, it's much worse in this book. Rather than give away the plot, I would simply like to highly recommend this first novel by Hillary Jordan to everyone who loves a good read! ( )
  fdrury | Oct 5, 2014 |
old south, racism, farm isolation, laura ( )
  debbiehughes | Sep 17, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this story and getting to know the characters, even though it was hard to read about some of the things happening. Although hard to read sometimes I think the story line was a very realistic portrayal of the time and place of the story. ( )
  kim.jacobs | Sep 1, 2014 |
What a delightful find! This book was very well written and an interesting take on life in Mississippi in the 40s. The author managed to weave together several characters (many of whom could have been the subject of an entire book) into one story in a very compelling way. This was a sad story, realistic and engaging. I would recommend. ( )
  sbenne3 | Aug 12, 2014 |
Freely admit I couldn't finish because of the small southern town prejudice that I just didn't want to bother with reading after I finished "We're all welcome here". Maybe later. ( )
  carolvanbrocklin | Aug 10, 2014 |
If I could do it, I'd do no writing at all here. It would be photographs; the rest would be fragments of cloth. bits of cotton, lumps of earth, records of speech, pieces of wood and iron, phials of odors, plates of food and of excrement.... A piece of the body torn out by the roots might be more to the point.----James Agee, "Let us Now Praise Famous Men"
To Mother, Gay and Nana, for the stories
Henry and I dug the hole seven feet deep.

In this award-winning portrait of two families caught up in the blind hatred of a small Southern town, prejudice takes many forms-some subtle, some ruthless. Mudbound is the saga of the McAllan family, who struggle to survive on a remote ramshackle farm, and the Jacksons, their black sharecroppers. When two sons return from WWII to work the land, the unlikely friendship between these brothers-in-arms-one white, one black-arouses the passions of their neighbors. As the men and women of each family tell their version of events we are drawn into their lives. Striving for love and honor is a brutal time and place, they become players in a tragedy on the grandest scale and find reemption where they least expect it. -back of book

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 156512569X, Hardcover)

Jordan won the 2006 Bellwether Prize for Mudbound, her first novel. The prize was founded by Barbara Kingsolver to reward books of conscience, social responsibility, and literary merit. In addition to meeting all of the above qualifications, Jordan has written a story filled with characters as real and compelling as anyone we know.

It is 1946 in the Mississippi Delta, where Memphis-bred Laura McAllan is struggling to adjust to farm life, rear her daughters with a modicum of manners and gentility, and be the wife her land-loving husband, Henry, wants her to be. It is an uphill battle every day. Things started badly when Henry's trusting nature resulted in the family being done out of a nice house in town, thus relegating them to a shack on their property. In addition, Henry's father, Pappy, a sour, mean-spirited devil of a man, moves in with them.

The real heart of the story, however, is the friendship between Jamie, Henry's too-charming brother, and Ronsel Jackson, son of sharecroppers who live on the McAllan farm. They have both returned from the war changed men: Jamie has developed a deep love for alcohol and has recurring nightmares; Ronsel, after fighting valiantly for his country and being seen as a man by the world outside the South, is now back to being just another black "boy."

Told in alternating chapters by Laura, Henry, Jamie, Ronsel, and his parents, Florence and Hap, the story unfolds with a chilling inevitability. Jordan's writing and perfect control of the material lift it from being another "ain't-it-awful" tale to a heart-rending story of deep, mindless prejudice and cruelty. This eminently readable and enjoyable story is a worthy recipient of Kingsolver's prize and others as well. --Valerie Ryan

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:35 -0400)

In 1946, Laura McAllan tries to adjust after moving with her husband and two children to an isolated cotton farm in the Mississipi Delta.

Hillary Jordan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Mudbound by Hillary Jordan was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,984,926 books! | Top bar: Always visible