Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman

Odd and the Frost Giants (2009)

by Neil Gaiman

Recently added byknmacneil, PawsforThought, private library, Jamie_Cashell, Esylvet, Jaimelynnes

English (151)  German (2)  French (1)  All (154)
I love mythology and the sorts of stories that can lie within it! Neil Gaiman has done a magical job of telling the story of Odd and his trial in Asgard as the hero of the Gods, a mere boy who knew what was needed and did what he needed to do. EXCELLENT as always, Mr. Gaiman, EXCELLENT! ( )
  ilerya82 | Sep 19, 2017 |
This story had lovely pacing, some gentle twists on more traditional quest tropes, lovely language, and dreadful writing. I recognise that it is probably aimed at children just transitioning into reading chapter books, but I've read many of those, and this one was clunky. For those who are visual readers, I suspect it will go completely unnoticed, but as an almost entirely aural reader, the rhythm was off, the phrasing uneven. And I couldn't make it fit any patterns either - it didn't seem that it was just in an odd tempo (I'm comfortable in 7/8 and 11/8 and 5/4 and other tempos that are unpopular in western mainstream music), but that it didn't really have a workable rhythm at all.

Other aspects? It was a quick read. The female characters are few and far between, and as far as I can tell none of the named ones are ever in the same geographical area, so it falls down there. Which, given that it has a very narrow perspective - that of a pre-teen/early teen male - is possibly not surprising. And the handling of the main character's disability appears to be done well* - there is healing across the course of the story, but even though Odd goes to Asgard, there is no 'hand of god(dess)' miracle reset to factory settings removal of disability, which it looked strongly like there would be.

* I may have missed nuances. I frequently do. However, what I noticed is that I saw neither 'nobly standing tall in the face of adversity/that which does not kill us makes us stronger' or 'pity the poor cripple'. ( )
  fred_mouse | Aug 16, 2017 |
As always, when Neil Gaiman reads the audiobooks for his novels, I adore them. This was especially good. He did all the voices for Thor, Loki, Odin, and the frost giants, and it just makes it such an enjoyable read (or, uh, listen). Definitely recommend this one for someone who's looking for a shorter but still fun and entertaining read.
  sw502 | Aug 12, 2017 |
It is just plain fun. The only down side was its brevity. ( )
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
wonderful little tale. ( )
  mfabriz | Jun 26, 2017 |
Det är en liten medryckande saga om mod, mognad och försoning med sin livslott. Hur otroligt det än kan verka, när man står på botten av ett köldhål, visar Neil Gaiman att även den strängaste vargavinter har ett slut.

added by Jannes | editDagens Nyheter, Sverker Lenas (Feb 21, 2011)

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Buckingham, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steinhöfel, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Iselin and Linnea
There was a boy called Odd, and there was nothing strange or unusual about that, not in that time or place.

An unlucky twelve-year-old Norwegian boy named Odd leads the Norse gods Loki, Thor, and Odin in an attempt to outwit evil Frost Giants who have taken over Asgard. - from LC CIP

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,468,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible