Dies the Fire by S. M. Stirling

Dies the Fire

by S. M. Stirling

Series: Emberverse (1), Nantucket event series (4)

The Stand {1978} by Stephen King (clif_hiker)
    There Will Be Dragons by John Ringo (badchenn)
    badchenn: The concept of this series is similar to the Council Wars series. How do modern societies react when our technology is taken away? Does it bring out the best or worst in us?
    The Postman by David Brin (MikeBriggs)
    World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (goodiegoodie)
    1632 by Eric Flint (goodiegoodie)
    Into the Forest by Jean Hegland (owen1218)
    War! What Is It Good For?: Conflict and the Progress of Civilization from Primates to Robots by Ian Morris (Akiyama)
    Akiyama: I think the sort of geeky person who enjoys thinking about the issues in this book will also enjoy this history of warfare by professor of ancient history.
    Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (levasssp)
    levasssp: similar themes of feudalism, politics and adventure mixed with fantasy and a bit of sci-fi

One of the best post-apocalytic novels out there. Good characters and plot. The novel gave a smart picture of what would happen if our toys were taken away. Unlike other SF novels about this topic it had a real and dramatic story (not just an excuse to rant on about the author's theories). ( )
  KellyAnns | Jul 22, 2017 |
I give the story/concept a 3 but overall the book is lucky to get a 2; I mean Oh MY GOD can you have anymore of a platform to try and push witches on us!!!!!!!!!; I mean to use so much space on one of the largest minority groups in the world is such a waste of time, i have never skipped so much fluff in any book that I actually finished; will be really really hard for me to read another one of these. ( )
  longhorndaniel | Jul 19, 2017 |
This book was not for me. Just not my taste. I quit after 135 pages. Originally, I picked it up because the local sci-fi reading group had selected it. I guess they chose it because it is set in Oregon. You might like it if you are into Wicca since many of the main characters are adherents. Zero stars means I don't think I can rate it fairly because I did not finish.
  nngrey | Jan 13, 2017 |
I wasn't sure if I would like this, but I started reading last night and was 100 pages in before I could put it down. Oh my! Then I find out that the Protector is based 1/3 on Earl Ed! That Havoc members all know the route to get to his property in case there was something similar to this to happen. Countess Ilaria keep bees and chickens and I know they have cattle. Wonder what else they have out there? ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
I just couldn't begin to care about the people in this story. And unfortunately, it is a looong story. ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |

S. M. Stirlingprimary authorall editionscalculated
McLaren, ToddNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Gina Taconi-Moore, and to her Andrew, currently serving the great Republic in a far-off, sandy, unpleasant place. Long life and happiness!
Michael Havel pulled his battered 4×4 into the employees’ parking lot, locked up and swung his just-in-case gear out of the back, the strap of the pack over one shoulder and the gun case on the other.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451460413, Mass Market Paperback)

The Change occurred when an electrical storm centered over the island of Nantucket produced a blinding white flash that rendered all electronic devices and fuels inoperable. What follows is the most terrible global catastrophe in the history of the human race-and a Dark Age more universal and complete than could possibly be imagined.

"Dies the Fire kept me reading till five in the morning so I could finish at one great gulp..."—New York Times bestselling author Harry Turtledove

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:48 -0400)

When a strange electrical storm over the island of Nantucket suddenly causes all electronic devices to cease functioning, the world is faced with an unimaginable transformation, one that is complicated by some individuals' ruthless quest for ultimate domination.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,495,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible