French Women Don’t Get Fat

by Mireille Guiliano

Series: French Women (1)

A gourmand's guide to the slim life shares the principles of French gastronomy, the art of enjoying all edibles in proportion, arguing that the secret of being thin and happy lies in the ability to appreciate and balance pleasures.

Entertaining enough to finish and a good choice to pick up for 10-15 minute increments. Rather than read it as a diet book, I focused more on the author's recollections of childhood meals and argument to enjoy food and life. It reminded me that small steps make all the difference and that focusing on the enjoyment of quality foods is a more positive lifestyle than scarfing down crappy foods. My major complaint was the tendency toward snobbery; Guiliano refers to the French being better than everyone a few too many times for my taste. Yes, it's a typical French attitude but still annoying. So I rolled my eyes a lot. The recipes all looked great but I doubt I will ever remember to cook any of them. ( )
  JustZelma | Dec 20, 2020 |
This was a very interesting book about the differences between French and American women, particularly re. the way they approach food, wine, exercise, and life in general. I've read reviews by women saying that the book is condescending to American women, but I don't believe this is the case. If you take a step back and read objectively, the author is simply speaking the truth, as much as we may not want to admit it.

Now I'm off to have my afternoon cheese snack, and to decide what to have for dinner that would best complement tonight's glass of wine. :) ( )
2 vote Meg416 | Apr 21, 2020 |
Didn't really enjoy this one: it somehow manages to be both bossy and unhelpful at the same time. ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Aug 14, 2017 |
Élégance and common sense. ( )
  Acia | Aug 8, 2017 |
Guiliano ends the book with a list of more observations about French women. They don't weigh themselves, they don't snack all the time, they eat more fruit but would never give up their bread or other carbs. They dress to take out the garbage, they understand the importance of a good haircut and expensive perfume, they know love is slimming. Part of me wanted to throw the book across the room, while the other part was memorizing the list....At the very least, we would all do ourselves a favor to make like Colette, for whom the table was ''a date with love and friendship '' instead of the root of all evil.

Belongs to Series

What is more important than the meal? Doesn't the least observant [wo]man-about-town look upon the implementation and ritual progress of a meal as a liturgical prescription? Isn't all of civilization apparent in these careful preparations, which consecrate the spirit's triumph over a raging appetite? - Valery
I love my adopted homeland.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,454,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible