The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint by Brady…

The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint

by Brady Udall

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (sanddancer)
    The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: A similar story for older teens/adults. Edgar is an American Indian orphan coming of age.
    China Boy by Gus Lee (howelson)
    howelson: Another coming of age story involving a struggle of mythic proportions.
    Dancing Naked by Robert Hodgson Van Wagoner (Unicycledad)
    Unicycledad: Both authors are Ex-Mormons, but both also write fantastic drama with great characters.
    Let the Games Begin by Niccolo Ammaniti (Ronnyreader)

English (28)  French (1)  All languages (29)
The disappointing life of Edgar Mint: I was drawn by the rave reviews, the comparisons to Dickens and "One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest". What I was left with was a bad taste in my mouth. The story was dark, with humorous moments interjected...the style is confusing, jumping between first and third person narrative...the characters were more caricature than developed. After an early life of pain, loss and heartbreak, Edgar is rescued by an ill-timed meeting with a previously unknown character from his forgotten past. There is a movie deal for the book...I would suggest cartoon artist Jamie Hewlett.
  lonepalm | Feb 5, 2014 |
I really couldn't put this one down. The idea of the whole thing from square one is medically preposterous but the protagonist (and it's written with first person perspective) is a very interesting one. Full of life and innocence and over the course of the novel's more than 400 pages, you see him really grow up and learn so much. His life is pain but there's the sense he's existing for a reason. I loved almost every word. ( )
  kirstiecat | Mar 31, 2013 |
Edgar Mint is seven years old when the mailman's Jeep accidentally runs over his head, he is thought dead. But half-Apache Edgar, is taken to hospital where young Dr Barry Pinkley does not give up on him. When he later comes out of his coma he remembers nothing of his life (other fill it in for him), alone in the world he is happy living in the hospital until time for his discharge. Then packed off to a school for American Indian children his real troubles begin, but things look better when a Mormon family foster him; yet he never feels at home, and his one desire throughout is to find the mailman to tell him he is alive.

Edgar tells his own story as written over the years on the trusty old typewriter given him by a Ray, a fellow hospital patient - one of the results of his accident is that he cannot get his hands to write. He takes us through the eight or nine years since his accident: his time happy time in hospital, the horrendous years in school where he suffers constant bullying and some pretty disgusting indignities, better times with the Mormon family, and then the end of this search for the mailman and 'home'; finally he proves a brief account of his life since finding 'home'.

Edgar is an incredible character, not just as the miracle child who seems to survive any number of strange or life threatening disasters, but he his thoroughly appealing, one can forgive whatever he does (and he does some pretty worse than naughty things!), yet he remains an innocent and is basically a good kid. Along the way he meets some colourful characters; including Barry his life saving doctor who pursues him throughout, and Ray who proves to be a true guardian even in his absence. Little Cecil, equally bullied and whom he befriends at school, and the two very different children of the Mormon family are among the better children he meets.

The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint is an most endearing story, by turns funny and moving, but always beautifully related. Edgar Mint will surely prove one of the most memorable and likeable of fictional characters. ( )
  presto | Apr 23, 2012 |
Edgar Mint is a character that you will fall in love with. After having been run over by a mailman's jeep and surviving, Edgar's life is a series of scenes reminiscent of Dickens and, as others have mentioned, Owen Meany's.

This book is darkly funny at times and Edgar is truly engaging. I must admit, though, that I found the multiple scenes of violence at Willie Sherman School a bit too much -- I literally counted the pages 'til edgar (and I) could leave that behind.

Well written with a subtle sense of humour. Brady Udall is becojing one of my favourite authors. ( )
  LynnB | Apr 7, 2012 |
Everyone says Irving Dickens = Udall and that pretty much summed it up for me. ( )
  goddamn_phony | Dec 10, 2011 |
Contemporary fiction is full of cynical, world-weary protagonists. One of the strengths of this big, uneven novel -- it reads at times like a John Irving novel touched up by Roy Blount Jr. -- is the lovely and complex character of Edgar, an innocent whose struggle to survive is at odds with his fundamentally gentle nature.

This novel is a wonderful, wise debut, with a strong story told in language that teens will find easy to embrace.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Emily Lloyd (Nov 1, 2001)

Udall is too smart to lapse into sentimentality; he writes with such warmth and humor that Edgar's travails are endearing rather than horrifying.
added by Katya0133 | editEntertainment Weekly, Karen Valby (Aug 3, 2001)

One of the strengths of this big, uneven novel -- it reads, at times like a John Irving novel touched up by Roy Blount Jr. -- is the lovely and complex character of Edgar, an innocent whose struggle to survive is at odds with his fundamentally gentle nature.
added by Katya0133 | editThe New York Times Book Review, Jennifer Reese (Jul 1, 2001)

Udall persuades us to care for Edgar, to root for him to survive, and he is so successful that by the end of the story the only unbelievable thing is that Edgar Mint is nothing but a figment of Brady Udall's imagination.
added by Katya0133 | editNewsweek, Malcolm Jones (Jun 25, 2001)

Als ik je maar één ding over mijn leven zou mogen vertellen, dan zo dat het volgende zijn: toen ik zeven jaar oud was is de postbode over mijn hoofd gereden.
"I saw him doing...ficky-fick."

In the beginning of this high-spirited and inexhaustibly inventive novel of the American West, a seven-year-old boy on an Apache Indian reservation has his head run over by a mail truck. Though his skull is crushed, Edgar miraculously survives the accident after being resuscitated by a possibly deranged hospital intern, Dr. Barry Pinkley. After three months in a coma, Edgar wakes up to find himself in St. Divine's Hospital in Globe, Arizona, surrounded by other survivors of horrific accidents. The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint is an immensley enjoyable story, with an unforgettable hero whos troubles and yearnings are completely captivating. While Edgar suffers many losses, including the loss of most of the illusions that make people's lives bearable, he maintains his innate goodness of his belief in the redeeming power of language. The result is a miracle of storytelling, bursting with heartache and hilarity and inhabited by characters as outsized as the landscape of the American West.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0375719180, Paperback)

If I could tell you only one thing about my life it would be this: when I was seven years old the mailman ran over my head. As formative events go, nothing else comes close.

With these words Edgar Mint, half-Apache and mostly orphaned, makes his unshakable claim on our attention. In the course of Brady Udall’s high-spirited, inexhaustibly inventive novel, Edgar survives not just this bizarre accident, but a hellish boarding school for Native American orphans, a well-meaning but wildly dysfunctional Mormon foster-family, and the loss of most of the illusions that are supposed to make life bearable.

What persists is Edgar’s innate goodness, his belief in the redeeming power of language, and his determination to find and forgive the man who almost killed him. The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint is a miracle of storytelling, bursting with heartache and hilarity and inhabited by characters as outsized as the landscape of the American West.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:27 -0400)

Half Apache and mostly orphaned, Edgar Mint's story begins on an Arizona reservation at the age of seven, when the mailman's jeep accidentally runs over his head. Comedy and pain accompany Edgar through a string of larger-than-life experiences.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,417,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible