The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint by Brady…

The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint

by Brady Udall

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (sanddancer)
    The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: A similar story for older teens/adults. Edgar is an American Indian orphan coming of age.
    China Boy by Gus Lee (howelson)
    howelson: Another coming of age story involving a struggle of mythic proportions.
    Dancing Naked by Robert Hodgson Van Wagoner (Unicycledad)
    Unicycledad: Both authors are Ex-Mormons, but both also write fantastic drama with great characters.
    Let the Games Begin by Niccolo Ammaniti (Ronnyreader)

English (33)  French (1)  All languages (34)
What an odd and extraordinary book. At times disturbingly violent, achingly sad, laugh-out-loud funny, endearing and touching. Udall takes the reader through a journey unlike any other. I wonder at his use of the occasional third person - e.g. "Edgar sits on the couch." This literary device (if that is what it is) disappears at the end of the book. Ultimately I guess it is about perseverance and faith. I'm glad I read it, but I doubt I'll read it again. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 8, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book so much that I emailed the author and he actually wrote back and thanked me for reading his book. ( )
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
Good God, what's with this book? How many times do I have to say to myself, "yeah...right...I'm SO SURE that would happen..."? I gave it 160 pages before I just...couldn't...go...on...
~Stephanie ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
Depressing, sad and brilliantly wonderful at the same time. Only picked it up to pass the time, but kept going throughout. How this isn't cinematized yet I don't know. Perfect for the screen. ( )
  pan0ramix | Nov 27, 2014 |
Contemporary fiction is full of cynical, world-weary protagonists. One of the strengths of this big, uneven novel -- it reads at times like a John Irving novel touched up by Roy Blount Jr. -- is the lovely and complex character of Edgar, an innocent whose struggle to survive is at odds with his fundamentally gentle nature.

This novel is a wonderful, wise debut, with a strong story told in language that teens will find easy to embrace.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Emily Lloyd (Nov 1, 2001)

Udall is too smart to lapse into sentimentality; he writes with such warmth and humor that Edgar's travails are endearing rather than horrifying.
added by Katya0133 | editEntertainment Weekly, Karen Valby (Aug 3, 2001)

One of the strengths of this big, uneven novel -- it reads, at times like a John Irving novel touched up by Roy Blount Jr. -- is the lovely and complex character of Edgar, an innocent whose struggle to survive is at odds with his fundamentally gentle nature.
added by Katya0133 | editThe New York Times Book Review, Jennifer Reese (Jul 1, 2001)

Udall persuades us to care for Edgar, to root for him to survive, and he is so successful that by the end of the story the only unbelievable thing is that Edgar Mint is nothing but a figment of Brady Udall's imagination.
added by Katya0133 | editNewsweek, Malcolm Jones (Jun 25, 2001)

Als ik je maar één ding over mijn leven zou mogen vertellen, dan zo dat het volgende zijn: toen ik zeven jaar oud was is de postbode over mijn hoofd gereden.
"I saw him doing...ficky-fick."

In the beginning of this high-spirited and inexhaustibly inventive novel of the American West, a seven-year-old boy on an Apache Indian reservation has his head run over by a mail truck. Though his skull is crushed, Edgar miraculously survives the accident after being resuscitated by a possibly deranged hospital intern, Dr. Barry Pinkley. After three months in a coma, Edgar wakes up to find himself in St. Divine's Hospital in Globe, Arizona, surrounded by other survivors of horrific accidents. The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint is an immensley enjoyable story, with an unforgettable hero whos troubles and yearnings are completely captivating. While Edgar suffers many losses, including the loss of most of the illusions that make people's lives bearable, he maintains his innate goodness of his belief in the redeeming power of language. The result is a miracle of storytelling, bursting with heartache and hilarity and inhabited by characters as outsized as the landscape of the American West.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0375719180, Paperback)

If I could tell you only one thing about my life it would be this: when I was seven years old the mailman ran over my head. As formative events go, nothing else comes close.

With these words Edgar Mint, half-Apache and mostly orphaned, makes his unshakable claim on our attention. In the course of Brady Udall’s high-spirited, inexhaustibly inventive novel, Edgar survives not just this bizarre accident, but a hellish boarding school for Native American orphans, a well-meaning but wildly dysfunctional Mormon foster-family, and the loss of most of the illusions that are supposed to make life bearable.

What persists is Edgar’s innate goodness, his belief in the redeeming power of language, and his determination to find and forgive the man who almost killed him. The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint is a miracle of storytelling, bursting with heartache and hilarity and inhabited by characters as outsized as the landscape of the American West.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:16 -0400)

Half Apache and mostly orphaned, Edgar Mint's story begins on an Arizona reservation at the age of seven, when the mailman's jeep accidentally runs over his head. Comedy and pain accompany Edgar through a string of larger-than-life experiences.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,265,352 books! | Top bar: Always visible