Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd by…

Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd

by Holly Black (Editor), Cecil Castellucci (Editor)

Other authors: M. T Anderson (Contributor), Holly Black (Contributor), Libba Bray (Contributor), Cecil Castellucci (Contributor), Cassandra Clare (Contributor)14 more, John Green (Contributor), Hope Larson (Illustrator), David Levithan (Contributor), Kelly Link (Contributor), Barry Lyga (Contributor), Tracy Lynn (Contributor), Wendy Mass (Contributor), Garth Nix (Contributor), Bryan Lee O'Malley (Illustrator), Cynthia Smith (Contributor), Greg Leitich Smith (Contributor), Scott Westerfeld (Contributor), Lisa Yee (Contributor), Sara Zarr (Contributor)

Contains some awesome stories, about a wide variety of 'geeks' reflecting a range of comfort with the appellation. I would have loved to adapt Sara Zarr's "This is My Audition Monologue" into an Individual Oration piece back when I was a geek on speech team.

Only one consideration if you're looking at the ebook version -- the tiny writing on some of the comics is almost impossible to read, and the images can't be enlarged (at least not on a b&w reader). ( )
  akaGingerK | Sep 30, 2018 |
I recommend this highly nerdy collection of short stories to all Nerdfighters, especially those in high school. How can you go wrong with famous authors like John Green, Libba Bray, and Scott Westerfeld? Answer: you can't.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
A bit trite, but also a very fun read :) ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
Overall, I give this book a 3. A few of the stories were bland, a couple odd and a few really great.

I tried to read each story without being aware of who wrote it (no bias on my part that way.) My favorite (4 star!) stories were: Quiz Bowl Antichrist by David Levithan, Freak the Geek by John Green, The Quiet Knight by Garth Nix (I need to read more of his stuff!),Everyone but You By Lisa Yee, This is my Audition Monologue by Sara Zarr, and It's just a Jump to the Left by Libba Bray.

Of them all, I think Bray's story was the most effective, capturing that awkward time between childhood and adulthood, all with The Rocky Horror Picture Show as a backdrop.

VanChocStrawberry | Apr 2, 2018 |
Strangely enough, despite self-describing myself as a geek after I realised I was never going to be "popular" I was not an overall fan of this collection of stories. Some were okay, but others left me confused. Maybe I need my geek card revoked. Oh well. ( )
  erinla | Oct 31, 2017 |

Smith, Greg LeitichContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Westerfeld, ScottContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yee, LisaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zarr, SaraContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
I awake tangled up in scratchy sheets with my head pounding and the taste of cheap alcohol and Tabasco still in my mouth.

Acclaimed authors Holly Black (Ironside) and Cecil Castellucci (Boy Proof) have united in geekdom to edit short stories from some of the best selling and most promising geeks in young adult literature: M.T. Anderson, Libba Bray, Cassandra Clare, John Green, Tracy Lynn, Cynthia and Greg Leitich Smith, David Levithan, Kelly Link, Barry Lyga, Wendy Mass, Garth Nix, Scott Westerfield, Lisa Yee, and Sara Zarr.

With illustrated interstitials from comic book artists Hope Larson and Bryan Lee O'Malley, Geektastic covers all things geeky, from Klingons and Jedi Knights to fan fiction, theater geeks, and cosplayers. Whether you're a former, current, or future geek, or if you just want to get in touch with your inner geek, Geektastic will help you get your geek on!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:44 -0400)

A collection of twenty-nine short stories about geeks.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,847,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible