Logicomix: An Epic Search for Truth by…

Logicomix: An Epic Search for Truth (2009)

by Apostolos Doxiadis, Christos H. Papadimitriou (Author)

Other authors: Annie Di Donna (Illustrator), Alecos Papadatos (Illustrator)

1,289None6,058 (3.89)97
    Bertrand Russell : the spirit of solitude, 1872-1921 by Ray Monk (sharder)
    sharder: Where Logicomix gives the 'cartoon'-version (and does it very well!) of Bertrand Russells life, Ray Monks biography of Russell is the classical biography. As with his biography of Wittgenstein it is both reliable, "complete" and a good read. (The biography is in 2 vols., this is the first).… (more)
    Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: An obvious suggestion (surprised it's not here already). Both are creative and fictional riffing off of formal logic and incompleteness.
    Gödel’s Proof by Ernest Nagel (paradoxosalpha)
    paradoxosalpha: A brief explanation of Gödel’s incompleteness theorem for the lay reader, recapitulating some of the history of logic included in Logicomix.
    Feynman by Jim Ottaviani (yokai)
    yokai: Un portrait d'un autre grand scientifique en BD beaucoup plus réussi que celui de Russel.
    Incompleteness: The Proof and Paradox of Kurt Gödel by Rebecca Goldstein (michaeljohn)
    The Universal Computer: The Road from Leibniz to Turing by Martin Davis (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Another story about Logic and the contribution of Leibniz, Cantor, Frege etc.
    Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli (Serviette)
    Serviette: Going deep in the world of ideas
    Pythagorean Crimes by Tefcros Michaelides (GIEL)
    Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (MarkYoung)
    The System of the World by Neal Stephenson (MarkYoung)
    Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Graphic novels with historical subject-matter straddling the line between fiction and non-fiction and containing the parallel story of their own creation.

English (58)  French (4)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (2)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (71)
Well the fact that it took me months to finish this should tell you how much I liked it. The parts about Bertrand Russell's childhood and life were interesting, but the parts about logic, not so much. I didn't really like the drawing, either. ( )
  piemouth | Feb 24, 2014 |
There are a lot of things I liked about this book: the art, the fact that the authors tackled this subject, Bertrand Russell (who totally deserves the starring role as literary/logical hero). But the book sort of meandered and I didn't get a clear sense that it had accomplished its mission. Overall I liked it more than I didn't. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
This is an awesome overview of the rise of logic. The story is fantastic until the last quarter. The author introduces you to most of the important logicians since 1700. Their lives, some of it the author embellishes, are the kinds of lives we are told academics are supposed to live. There's one drawback... It turns out the most logical are not what most people would consider rational, reasonable or logical. The author goes on to explain that this has something to do with being rational, reasonable and logical as a fucking insane task. The book devotes a great deal of asides to sanity vs. logic. We finally get up to Alan Turing, and viola! The problem of logic is solved. Only machines can be logical and guess what? Psychology and democracy kick ass! I'm serious, the logical conclusion falls flat, but it's kind of supposed to...

The book wasn't written with a thesis, but a hypothesis, and so the story seems to be a bit wacky. At the very end, the sum of all things is vague: Democracy is the only way to allow the extremes to have a voice. Logic is not for people, but machines. We aren't really sure what this has to do with Russell speaking about World War Two, but we know that Russell (according to the book) is an anti-war advocate and socialist outside of WW2.

I give it three stars because it had so much potential, but blew at the end. Up until then, this book is a masterpiece. ( )
  veranasi | Jan 17, 2014 |
Interesting and enjoyable introduction to Bertrand Russell's life and ideas. The graphic book format makes it all less threatening. ( )
  ghefferon | Dec 28, 2013 |
As someone who claims little to no concrete knowledge of (or particular interest in) mathematicians or logicians, I found this book tremendously interesting. I not only enjoyed the way it became a layered story within a story (kind of like maus) as a entertaining literary twist, but it also helped me to understand the time and place of Bertrand Russell which in turn helped me better understand his research. ( )
  Zabeth | Dec 9, 2013 |
LJ Best Graphic Novels 2009: "This biography of the troubled and driven Bertrand Russell packs in a surprisingly entertaining introduction to academia’s Big Ideas of Truth and Meaning by focusing on the thinkers and their passions. Fascinating and charming, with deft color art"

Logicomix grippingly recounts the turmoil of the 20th-century logical world.

All of this is presented with real graphic verve. (Even though I’m a text guy, I couldn’t keep my eyes off the witty drawings.)

Apostolos Doxiadisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Papadimitriou, Christos H.Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Donna, Annie DiIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Papadatos, AlecosIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To our children, Eirene, Emma, Isabel, Io, Kimon, Konstantinos, Tatiana, Yorgos
It's such a sad tale! And yet...

This innovative, dramatic graphic novel recounts the spiritual odyssey of philosopher Bertrand Russell. In his agonized search for absolute truth, Russell crosses paths with legendary thinkers and finds a passionate student in the great Ludwig Wittgenstein.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,485,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible