The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

The Way of Kings (2010)

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: The Stormlight Archive (1), Cosmere (6)

3,7711641,932 (4.43)2 / 240
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (archivesman)
    The Black Prism by Brent Weeks (Kassilem)
    The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett (ajwseven)
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Another beginning to a ten volume fantasy work featuring almost overwhelming scale.

English (163)  French (1)  All languages (164)
One of the best I've read in the fantasy, multi-volume genre. There are a lot of characters, but the author makes clear distinctions for the reader. The writing is straight-forward and it's easy to follow the plots. It was a VERY long book, but I kept looking forward to going back to it. I admit I need a bit of a break before tackling the next in the series, but I will go back to it soon. ( )
  Thebrownbookloft | Jun 29, 2018 |
Masterful. Supremely well written, definitely a must read. I cannot overstate how good this book is. ( )
  walnutbrowniebrain | May 22, 2018 |
I don't think I'm skilled enough at expressing myself or expressing my sentiments about this book to truly give you a proper understanding of how amazing this book is.

There are very few books that come up to the standards that Brandon Sanderson brings with The Way of Kings and I'm assuming (hoping) with the rest of the books in the series. I've given books 5/5 before because those books were truly amazing, Brandon Sanderson takes it up a level. I'm not merely saying it's 6/5. No, it's the kind of book and he's the kind of author that makes you wish all books were written this well.

Characters come to life, the world seeps into your dreams, action scenes are so vivid that when thinking on this book after finishing it I can view these scenes in my head as though I had just finished watching this book as a movie.

If you're still reading this, and you haven't read The Way of Kings yet, let me just say this. If you pick up this book you will be taken on an adventure like none other and meet incredibly diverse, deep and interesting characters that you'll never forget. ( )
  damred | May 15, 2018 |
I read this book in chunks (about 250) pages at a time. Today I finished the last bit of it. I liked the book but not without some qualms. I felt it dragged in a few places. I wasn't as interested in some of the characters at first and those sections were a little long. At one point I was openly wondering if I was going to read book 2. This is an interesting thing for me because at a 1000 pages I invested a lot of reading into it.

I couldn't get over the thought that this was going to be a huge series and for the most part I have given up on most of the epic fantasy series. Jordan eventually didn't cut it for me. I lost interest in Erikson. There were enough warning signs that I thought, "good writing but will it hold me for 10 books). Then the last 250 pages happened. Easily the best part of the book. It was brilliant and stunning. Even to the point where some of the characters I didn't care about I jumped on board. It was so good that I knew I would be reading the second book. Here's hoping the whole second book has the fire of the end of this oe. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |

Too kindly
And too wonderful
For words
But I try anyway.
(Prelude) Kalak rounded a rocky stone ridge and stumbled to a stop before the body of a dying thunderclast.
(Prologue) Szeth-son-son-Vallano, Truthless of Shinovar, wore white on the day he was to kill a king.
(Chapter one) "I'm going to die, aren't I?" Cenn asked.
Editions with ISBN 0575097361 are the first part only of this book and should not be combined with the full work.

Widely acclaimed for his work completing Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time saga, Brandon Sanderson now begins a grand cycle of his own, one every bit as ambitious and immersive.

Roshar is a world of stone and storms. Uncanny tempests of incredible power sweep across the rocky terrain so frequently that they have shaped ecology and civilization alike. Animals hide in shells, trees pull in branches, and grass retracts into the soilless ground. Cities are built only where the topography offers shelter.

It has been centuries since the fall of the ten consecrated orders known as the Knights Radiant, but their Shardblades and Shardplate remain: mystical swords and suits of armor that transform ordinary men into near-invincible warriors. Men trade kingdoms for Shardblades. Wars were fought for them, and won by them.

One such war rages on a ruined landscape called the Shattered Plains. There, Kaladin, who traded his medical apprenticeship for a spear to protect his little brother, has been reduced to slavery. In a war that makes no sense, where ten armies fight separately against a single foe, he struggles to save his men and to fathom the leaders who consider them expendable.

Brightlord Dalinar Kholin commands one of those other armies. Like his brother, the late king, he is fascinated by an ancient text called The Way of Kings. Troubled by over-powering visions of ancient times and the Knights Radiant, he has begun to doubt his own sanity.

Across the ocean, an untried young woman named Shallan seeks to train under an eminent scholar and notorious heretic, Dalinar’s niece, Jasnah. Though she genuinely loves learning, Shallan’s motives are less than pure. As she plans a daring theft, her research for Jasnah hints at secrets of the Knights Radiant and the true cause of the war.

The result of over ten years of planning, writing, and world-building, The Way of Kings is but the opening movement of the Stormlight Archive, a bold masterpiece in the making.

Speak again the ancient oaths,

Life before death.
Strength before weakness.
Journey before Destination.

and return to men the Shards they once bore.

The Knights Radiant must stand again.
Slave must now fight, again.

A woman must be a thief.

King sees the world's past.
Something is coming
A dark something is coming
Something is coming

A new epic series by the best-selling writer of Robert Jordan's final Wheel of Time novels introduces the world of Roshar through the experiences of a war-weary royal compelled by visions, a highborn youth condemned to military slavery and a woman who would save her impoverished house.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,094,651 books! | Top bar: Always visible