Labyrinth by Kate Mosse

Labyrinth (2005)

by Kate Mosse

Series: Languedoc Trilogy (1)

6,0371971,050 (3.31)243
    The Eight by Katherine Neville (Yells)
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (Yells)
    The Secret Supper by Javier Sierra (thebookpile)
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (DowntownLibrarian)
    DowntownLibrarian: If you enjoy learning some history along with your fantasy....
    Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay (thebookpile)
    The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Similar themes of research, esoteric knowledge, persecution of those the church deem a threat, mystery, history, and a relationship between the past and the present, with a female protagonist.

English (180)  French (5)  Dutch (4)  German (2)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (195)
A fascinating tale regarding an ancient mystery, interleaving the stories of a modern-day young amateur archeologist who makes a big discovery in the French Pyrenees, and a minor noblewoman who lived 800 years ago during the anti-Cathar crusade in southern France.

The historical fiction chapters are especially good, however Mosse does strain the credulity of the reader with supernatural elements, particularly at the end. The writer's fascination with the Occitan language is also annoying at times, not to mention the fact that the holy grail theme is horribly worn out by now. How many books riding the coattail of Da Vinci Code do we really need?

Probably more three and a half stars than four, but what the hell, it does highlight the oppression of the Languedoc people, which isn't a theme that is often found in popular culture these days.

Read this in Slovene under the title Labirint. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
This book did something rare for me, it had me totally intrigued at times and bored at others. Sometimes I just wanted to rush through part of the story (was it totally necessary for all the violent parts to be so very detailed?) and there were other parts where I couldn't put the book down.

Alice volunteers at an archeological dig and gets way more than she bargained for when she realizes that it has a connection to her long recurring dreams.

We soon see that it can't just be a coincidence that Alice has wound up at this dig.

I enjoyed it, but I didn't love it. I spent a good bit of the book worrying that I would get to the end of this book and find out that the book itself was just book one in a trilogy and that the ending would be a cliffhanger.

So, the only thing spoiler like that I will say, is that the reader can rest assured that there is an ending.
And as far as I'm concerned, I thought it was a pretty great way to wrap the story up. ( )
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
Not really my cup of tea unfortunately. I couldn't warm to any of the character, even the good ones. No shades of grey here, people are definitely all bad or all good.
Luckily my copy was from the charity shop, so it wasn't expensive. ( )
  Hobbitlass | Dec 23, 2018 |
I've tried several times but it's not for me. ( )
  JulesGDSide | Nov 29, 2018 |
A captivating read, that captures the history, geography, and beauty, of Languedoc very well. Whether taken as an enjoyable historical romp, or something that bit more substantial, this book grips the reader and is thoroughly recommended. Especially if you have fallen in love with the region at its heart. ( )
  Jawin | Sep 16, 2018 |
(.. .) Kate Mosse réussit son coup. A défaut de faire date - elle n'est quand même pas la première à mettre en scène des femmes ! -, son talent de conteuse fait mouche. Et peut séduire cet été.
added by Ariane65 | editLe Point, Marie-Françoise Leclère (Jul 10, 2006)

Le roman 'Labyrinthe' contient tous les ingrédients d'un best-seller estival.

added by Ariane65 | editDaily Mail, 2005-

Kate Mosseprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kaila, KatariinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peters, DonadaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. Gospel according to St. John, 8:32
L'histoire est un roman qui a été, le roman est une histoire qui aurait pu être. History is a novel that has been lived, a novel is history that could have been. E & J de Goncourt
Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro. Time lost can never be regained. Medieval Occitan proverb.
To my father, Richard Mosse, a man of integrity -
a modern-day chevalier
To Greg, as always, for all things -
past, present and yet to come
A single line of blood trickles down the pale underside of her arm, a red seam on a white sleeve.
En gij zult de waarheid verstaan, en de waarheid zal u vrij maken.

- Evangelie van Johannes, 8:32
De geschiedenis is een roman die is gebeurd, een roman is een geschiedenis die zo had kunnen gebeuren.

- E. & J. de Goncourt
Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro.
Verloren tijd kan nooit meer worden ingehaald.

- Middeleeuws Occitaans gezegde

Grail? Secrets? Cathars?
Intrigue? Labyrinthine plot,
an escapist read.
(ed.pendragon)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:08 -0400)

July 2005. In the Pyrenees mountains near Carcassonne, Alice, a volunteer at an archaeological dig, stumbles into a cave and makes a startling discovery-two crumbling skeletons, strange writings on the walls, and the pattern of a labyrinth. Eight hundred years earlier, on the eve of a brutal crusade that will rip apart southern France, a young woman named Alais is given a ring and a mysterious book for safekeeping by her father. The book, he says, contains the secret of the true Grail, and the ring, inscribed with a labyrinth, will identify a guardian of the Grail. Now, as crusading armies gather outside the city walls of Carcassonne, it will take a tremendous sacrifice to keep the secret of the labyrinth safe.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,358,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible