Don't Cry, Tai Lake by Xiaolong Qiu

Don't Cry, Tai Lake (2011)

by Xiaolong Qiu

English (9)  Spanish (1)  All languages (10)
Anti-nuevo-capitalist, anti-bureaucratic, anti-corruption, pro-ecology tale of up-and-coming favored son, insider poet-detective. Plain, simple narrative--no nuances, just the facts, mam. Poetry (ancient and new) with traditional (and unknown to me) Chinese images. A view of the new China (from afar--author lives in the US)
  kerns222 | May 25, 2018 |
I enjoyed this mystery set in the Chinese city of Wuxi and featuring Inspector Chen, a poet, whose poetry is sprinkled liberally throughout the novel. This story is brimming with atmosphere providing a real sense of the place and culture of China. His boss has arranged for Chen to have a luxury vacation at the beautiful Tai Lake with instructions to write a report of the area. When the head of a chemical plant that pours toxic waste into the lake is murdered, it becomes Chen's unofficial investigation. The local police regard Chen as a celebrity who is welcomed as much for his star quality as his investigative skills. I could quibble about some coincidences leading to the solution but enjoyed the story - and Chen - enough to reading more of the series. ( )
1 vote VivienneR | Nov 15, 2017 |
autore abbandonato da anni dopo alcune delusioni seguite a un promettente inizio.
Qui non male ma la distanza di culture non è acqua e la Cina è sempre molto lontana, anche se ormai 'lei' è il centro e 'noi' la periferia.

[audiolibro]
  icaro. | Aug 31, 2017 |
I was happy to be back in the poetic world of Inspector Chen. These novels have a quiet grace about them, and they're very different from the (few) other mysteries I've read. ( )
  MillieHennessy | May 31, 2016 |
This is the fifth of the Inspector Chen Cao stories that I have read, and the one I enjoyed least. The fascinating thing about these books is the insight they give into contemporary China, especially the lives of ordinary people, and "Don't Cry, Tai Lake" still does that. It also deals with an issue, environmental pollution, that is undoubtedly of major concern in China, as elsewhere.
A lot of things annoyed me, however. Principally, various strained coincidences that the plot depends on and, even more, what I consider various weaknesses in the style of writing. Sometimes I wonder if Qiu's clichés and solecisms are a deliberate attempt to add to the 'foreign' atmosphere (as do the frequent references to Chinese classics and sayings), but I increasingly found myself more involved in the typos (in the ebook) and poor style than in the characters, location or plot. Maybe Qiu just needs a new editor! ( )
  frogball | Aug 23, 2015 |
For the polluted lakes and rivers in China
Chief Inspector Chen Cao of the Shanghai Police Bureau found himself standing in front of the gate to the Wuxi Cadre Recreation Center.
Development is the one and only truth - Comrade Deng Xiaoping

Offered a luxury vacation near Lake Tai, Chief Inspector Chen Cao is drawn into the murder investigation of a manufacturing plant director who had been accused of polluting the once-beautiful lake, a case that implicates the leader of a local ecological group.… (more)

Minotaur Books

An edition of this book was published by Minotaur Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,010,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible