Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Thief of Time

by Terry Pratchett

English (76)  German (4)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (1)  All (83)
What I thoroughly enjoyed:
1. Death
2. Susan
3. Scenes with the other Horsemen of Apoc
4. Chocolates
5. The last third or quarter of the book

My favourite bits are Susan as kindergarten teacher, any exchange among any of the Horsemen (hilarious) and the bits with chocolate. HAHA.

The above more than made up for the meandering first half-ish part of the book. And I couldn't (in the beginning) care less about the monks or Lu Tze until at least half way past the book (did a fair bit of dragging my eyes across the page :p).
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
Another fun entry in the Death subset of DiscWorld featuring Death's granddaughter Susan. I liked the main plot but my favorite bits were about Susan's teaching! ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 19, 2017 |
This is a smart, funny, thoughtful exploration of form, function, and time. This is another book with a complicated set of interwoven plots and characters. There are the Monks of History who live in one perfect day and manage time, shuffling it around when it is needed or is being wasted. There is Jeremy, a clockmaker in Ankh-Morpork who is a bit off but has been tasked with making an impossible device. There is Lobsang Ludd, former thief and current apprentice to Lu-Tse, a sweeper for the Monks. There are the Auditors, those grey hooded rule-makers who can't stand the diversity and unpredictability of human life. And then there is Susan and, of course, her grandfather, Death. Oh! And Nanny Ogg makes a couple of appearances! Love her.

So, it was a bit confusing at first as each of the plots was starting up but by the end the stories clicked together like, well, clockwork. And there were two moments at the end that were some of the sweetest moments in the entire Discworld series. This is definitely my new favorite Death book. Pratchett really gets better through the years and is best when he couples complexity with depth while keeping his trademark humor and intelligence.

http://webereading.com/2017/03/marchmagics-thief-of-time.html ( )
  klpm | Apr 5, 2017 |
Thief of Time is the fifth and final(!) book in the Death subseries of Discworld. I’ve always been a little iffy on this subseries, but I think this was my favorite of the five books. The general story is that an Auditor has commissioned a clockmaker, Jeremy, to make a special clock. What the Auditor doesn’t tell Jeremy is that this clock will supposedly have the power to stop time, bringing an end, or at least a permanent pause, to the Discworld.

Death didn’t actually get that much page time in this book. Maybe that’s partly why I enjoyed it. I like Death in small doses, when he’s being funny or clever or profound, but he starts to grate on my nerves in larger doses. This was especially true in the first three books where he essentially shirked his responsibilities and let other people take up the slack for him. Meanwhile, he went off and had what would be considered a mid-life crisis if he were a human. Happily, Death has seemed better-grounded in these last two books, so I’ve started enjoying his character more.

In this book, we finally get a chance to learn more about the Auditors. Unsurprisingly, Susan shows up again. I enjoyed most of her sections, especially the ones at the beginning. I also really liked the characters of Lu-Tze and Lobsang who take up a large portion of the story. They’re mostly just your stereotypical well-respected and mysterious monk with his exceptionally clever but impatient apprentice, at least at first, but they were fun characters. The master/apprentice portrayal is a common plot device in fantasy, but it’s one that I tend to enjoy.

I expected this book to earn 4 stars up until maybe the last 25% or so, at which point I started to lose interest in the story. Somehow the climatic events were the most boring parts to me, I think because it went too far into “random chaos” territory at times. In the end, I decided on a rating of 3.5 stars, rounded up to 4 on Goodreads. ( )
  YouKneeK | Mar 4, 2017 |
These Discworld books are definitely the sorts of books that you can read many times and enjoy like the first time you read them, while also still discovering new things you didn't notice before and understanding things you didn't realize you didn't understand the last time. Books like that are wonderful and, often, timeless. No pun intended.

At first, the book's plot seems incoherent and you're left kind of confused and wondering how it's all going to tie together. Especially since so many of the characters are doing things so far away from each other. This is not, however, a detraction or deficiency with the writing. It's designed to keep you guessing and you definitely do! And even when you think you've figured it out, you eventually find out that even if you were right you were only half right and it's a wonderful feeling. Even when the plot seems like it might turn predictable, it throws a sudden curve ball. Brilliant!

When the plot does begin to tie together, and the connections between the characters (especially those which seemed to have absolutely no connection whatsoever) it just amps up the awesome and everything seems to speed up.

I will say that the lisp that was given to Igor is difficult to read, at least for me. It slowed me down a bit and was a bit confusing on some words. This was a very minor annoyance, though, and not worth a dock in rating.

In addition, I was personally tired of seeing SO MUCH of Lu-Tze and Lobsang by the time I got to the middle of the book. However, it was clear almost from their first appearance that they were both very important characters to the book and still managed to be interesting (I love the way they get along and talk to each other), so even though this was a mild annoyance I didn't think it was worth a dock in the rating, either.

I really loved the plot, though, and I loved the way it all tied together. And I was very satisfied with the ending each character got. And Lobsang ended up being my favorite character of the book, despite what I said above.

I do have to wonder, though, whatever happened to Clodpool. :p It's the only thing I can think of that wasn't answered. But, he was only mentioned a scant few times, and only in the past, so I didn't really expect to be told what happened to him. I just am personally curious, anyway.

I would definitely recommend this book. ( )
  madam_razz | Jan 19, 2017 |

Kidd, ChipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parri, DyfrigTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rudnicki, StefanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
According to the First Scroll of Wen the Eternally Surprised, Wen stepped out of the cave where he had received enlightenment and into the dawning light of the first day of the rest of his life.
Sometimes thinking is like talking to another person, but that person is also you.
Nine-tenths of the universe, in fact, is the paperwork.
This is the main work for Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett. It is not the same work as Tony Hillerman's book of the same name.

Time is a resource. Everyone knows it has to be managed.

And on the Discworld that is the job of the Monks of History, who store it and pump it from the places where it's wasted (like the underwater - how much time does a codfish need?) to places like cities, where there's never enough time.

But the construction of the world's first truly accurate clock starts a race against, well, time for Lu Tze and his apprentice Lobsang Ludd. Because it will stop time. And that will only be the start of everyone's problems.

THIEF OF TIME comes complete with a full supporting cast of heroes, villains, yetis, martial artists and Ronnie, the fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse (who left before they became famous).

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061031321, Mass Market Paperback)

If you were helpless with laughter over Shanghai Noon, enjoy satirical British humor and terrible puns, or just need your Pratchett fix, grab this book. Unfamiliar with Terry Pratchett and his Discworld series? It's time to discover one of the funniest, most literate, and most thought-provoking authors writing today.

The Monks of History live in a Tibetan sort of area known as "enlightenment country." Their job: "to see that tomorrow happens at all." A mysterious Lady wants time-obsessed Jeremy Clockson to build a totally accurate glass clock. It will trap time and stop it, eliminating humanity's irritating unpredictability. This would make the Auditors, who observe the universe and enforce the rules governing it, very happy. It would also put Death out of a job, which the Grim Reaper isn't happy about. Fortunately, the History Monks have encountered this situation before; in fact, Lu Tze, the Sweeper, has personally dealt with it before. Even better, he has a new, gifted apprentice, Lobsang Ludd, the "thief of time." This time, they'll stop trouble before it can start! To add chaos to the mix, there's the Fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse--the one who quit before they became famous.

Although there are 25 other Discworld novels and many of the characters appeared first in previous books, you don't need to have read even one to enjoy The Thief of Time. (If you're the sort of reader who hates to miss any references, you might want to track down a copy of The Discworld Companion.) As a bonus, this book is a painless introduction to what quantum physics says about the nature of time. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:47 -0400)

In Discworld, time is a resource managed by the highly capable Monks of History. Everybody wants more time, which is why on Discworld only the experts can manage it. While everyone always talks about slowing down, one young horologist is about to do the unthinkable. He's going to stop. Well, stop time that is, by building the world's first truly accurate clock. Which means esteemed History Monk Lu-Tze and his apprentice Lobsang Ludd have to put on some speed to stop the timepiece before it starts. For if the perfect clock starts ticking, time, as we know it, will end. And then the trouble will really begin.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,306,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible