Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Thief of Time

by Terry Pratchett

English (67)  German (4)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (74)
The first leg of my Discworld re-read concludes with the final book in the Death subseries, Thief of Time. (Although, to be honest, as with the previous volumes, I kind of wish it had featured more of Death himself. He really is my favorite character in the entire series. Not that his granddaughter Susan, who gets more attention here, isn't also terrific, because she is.)

This one didn't give me the feeling of sheer, crazy delight that Hogfather and Soul Music did (although it does have some pretty great jokes), but it feels like a slightly more substantial story than those, and it does a lot of fun and interesting things with the concept of time. There are also some really great examples of something that Pratchett does very well: infusing his comic fantasy with some genuinely thoughtful, philosophical, and scientifically literate ideas. In addition to playing around with time, he also touches on chaos theory, and explores at some length the question of what it means to be human, specifically what it means to be both a consciousnesses and a body.

Rating: 4.5/5. Although, admittedly, I sometimes feel like I'm over-rating these books slightly, just because of my love of the series as a whole. Not enough to make me change that number, though! ( )
  bragan | Aug 9, 2016 |
Oh I dunno. I didn't feel the heart or the insight in this one. To me it felt more like it was making fun of itself and of the Discworld series, which is itself already satire, so... ok.... Anyway, to be honest, I'm just trying to get caught up to the very first one I read, [b:Going Postal|64222|Going Postal (Discworld, #33)|Terry Pratchett|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170621674s/64222.jpg|1636617], which absolutely wowed me. I want to see what I think of that now after reading them in order. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Terry Pratchett does time. What would happen if the Auditors decided to tidy things up by stopping time? It would be the end of the world as we know it and therefore Death talks to Susan Sto-Helit about doing something about it, while the auditors recruit a brilliant but disturbed clockmaker and simultaneously a young monk, Lobsang Ludd, finds that the only one willing to train him is the eccentric Lu Tze, who are Monks of History who can use time, but when time is running out they need to rescue the world.

I loved it, talks a lot about embracing what time you have and using it in a light-hearted way and made me think a lot outside of the story and I have a weakness for any story that features Susan. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Feb 29, 2016 |
Pratchett keeps up his excellent style, clever plots underwoven with unlikely sub-plots, lght humour mixed with apposite digs at life and human nature. Death's granddaughter Susan is involved, and we meet the Discworld 'auditors' more than in previous books. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Thief of Time is the twenty-sixth novel in the Discworld series and can likely be read as a stand alone, although it is the fifth featuring Death as a major character and the third with Susan.

The auditors of reality have devised a new plot to destroy humanity – they’ve commissioned Jeremy Clockson, a gifted and obsessive clock maker, to craft the ultimate clock, one that will be wholly accurate. Once this clock starts, time itself will stop.

Death senses that something is wrong and alerts Susan, now an elementary school teacher. Meanwhile, among the Monks of History, young Lobsang, who has an unprecedented ability to slice time, is apprenticed to the legendary Lu-Tze. Together, they must save time and make sure tomorrow happens.

“Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.”

Thief of Time was partly about how we think of time. We speak of saving it and losing it, and the Monks of History can bend it. Of course, Thief of Time was also about what it means to be human. Susan, the granddaughter of Death, builds her life around being logical and normal, and she struggles with the knowledge that she’s not fully human.

“Susan was sensible. It was, she knew, a major character flaw.”

Thief of Time contained my old favorites, Susan and Death, but I also enjoyed the other characters who got their time in the limelight. Lu-Tze appears again after his minor role in Small Gods, becoming a protagonist after fifteen books have passed. He was both hilarious and wise, and his banter with Lobsang was excellent. Lobsang himself never develops the strength of character of Lu-Tze or Susan, but he was likable if somewhat forgettable.

Thief of Time is structured as multiple plot strands which come together fantastically at the end. Unlike some of the earlier novels, these strands all relate well and feel like the same book. Pacing also is excellent, and the book never sags.

“When in doubt, choose to live.”

I would recommend this book to pretty much anyone looking for a good book, particularly if they’d like something funny but still meaningful.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Jul 2, 2015 |

Kidd, ChipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parri, DyfrigTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rudnicki, StefanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
According to the First Scroll of Wen the Eternally Surprised, Wen stepped out of the cave where he had received enlightenment and into the dawning light of the first day of the rest of his life.
Sometimes thinking is like talking to another person, but that person is also you.
Nine-tenths of the universe, in fact, is the paperwork.
This is the main work for Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett. It is not the same work as Tony Hillerman's book of the same name.

Time is a resource. Everyone knows it has to be managed.

And on the Discworld that is the job of the Monks of History, who store it and pump it from the places where it's wasted (like the underwater - how much time does a codfish need?) to places like cities, where there's never enough time.

But the construction of the world's first truly accurate clock starts a race against, well, time for Lu Tze and his apprentice Lobsang Ludd. Because it will stop time. And that will only be the start of everyone's problems.

THIEF OF TIME comes complete with a full supporting cast of heroes, villains, yetis, martial artists and Ronnie, the fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse (who left before they became famous).

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061031321, Mass Market Paperback)

If you were helpless with laughter over Shanghai Noon, enjoy satirical British humor and terrible puns, or just need your Pratchett fix, grab this book. Unfamiliar with Terry Pratchett and his Discworld series? It's time to discover one of the funniest, most literate, and most thought-provoking authors writing today.

The Monks of History live in a Tibetan sort of area known as "enlightenment country." Their job: "to see that tomorrow happens at all." A mysterious Lady wants time-obsessed Jeremy Clockson to build a totally accurate glass clock. It will trap time and stop it, eliminating humanity's irritating unpredictability. This would make the Auditors, who observe the universe and enforce the rules governing it, very happy. It would also put Death out of a job, which the Grim Reaper isn't happy about. Fortunately, the History Monks have encountered this situation before; in fact, Lu Tze, the Sweeper, has personally dealt with it before. Even better, he has a new, gifted apprentice, Lobsang Ludd, the "thief of time." This time, they'll stop trouble before it can start! To add chaos to the mix, there's the Fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse--the one who quit before they became famous.

Although there are 25 other Discworld novels and many of the characters appeared first in previous books, you don't need to have read even one to enjoy The Thief of Time. (If you're the sort of reader who hates to miss any references, you might want to track down a copy of The Discworld Companion.) As a bonus, this book is a painless introduction to what quantum physics says about the nature of time. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:47 -0400)

In Discworld, time is a resource managed by the highly capable Monks of History. Everybody wants more time, which is why on Discworld only the experts can manage it. While everyone always talks about slowing down, one young horologist is about to do the unthinkable. He's going to stop. Well, stop time that is, by building the world's first truly accurate clock. Which means esteemed History Monk Lu-Tze and his apprentice Lobsang Ludd have to put on some speed to stop the timepiece before it starts. For if the perfect clock starts ticking, time, as we know it, will end. And then the trouble will really begin.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,335,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible