Mort (1987)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld: Death (1), Discworld (4)

Unable to be objective, Mort, Death's bumbling apprentice, kills an assassin instead of Keli, the princess who should have been his victim.
    Johannes Cabal the Necromancer by Jonathan L. Howard (PitcherBooks)
    PitcherBooks: While Howard's Cabal is a Necromancer (one who can raise the dead - in a fashion) And Pratchett's DEATH is the embodiment of death (which comes to us all)... The commonality is really that wonderful quirky British humor. Pratchett is an old favorite of mine and I have read every one of his books. Howard is my new favorite and I plan to read every one of his books. If you like one, odds are you'll totally enjoy the other...… (more)
    Fluke, or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore (Zaklog)
    Zaklog: Although American, not British, Christopher Moore has a very similar sense of humor to Pratchett's. And if you like a story about an unsuspecting, innocent (and often clumsy) man accidentally becoming the Grim Reaper, you'll probably like Moore's book as well. Another wonderful characteristic the two authors share is their ability to combine a bizarre sense of humor with very serious moral subjects. So once you finish the newest Pratchett novel, be sure to check out Christopher Moore.… (more)
    A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (alexa_d)
    On a pale horse by Piers Anthony (ijustgetbored)
    ijustgetbored: Similar theme: Death gets a replacement. Wry, with a healthy helping of social critique.

English (220)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Czech (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (229)
No quería terminar este libro porque cada momento era demasiado hermoso como para avanzar de una.
El crecimiento de Mort me dejó encantada, la Muerte debe ser por lejos el mejor personaje que he descubierto en este tiempo. Cada parte la voy a atesorar porque disfruté mucho leyendo este libro.

Las última página me dejó con el corazón apretado ♥ ( )
  pmesinas | Sep 28, 2022 |

It’s years since I last read this. It hasn’t lost its charm. Pratchett’s Death is one of his most memorable characters, from his first appearance in The Colour of Magic, to the very end.

This was the fourth Discworld novel, after the original duology and Equal Rites, and Dave Langford’s comment at the time was “Pratchett has sussed the combination of hilarity with a tortuous plot, and the rest of us would-be humorists hate him for it.” I wouldn’t go so far as to call it a masterpiece, but a lot of the elements that make for a good Pratchett book – indeed for a good book in general – converge here.

You’ve read it too, so I won’t go on at length. It is as funny as I remembered. I was pleasantly surprised on re-reading by the breadth and depth of references to classic (and Classical) literature. The main driver of the Sto Lat subplot, the rewriting of history and destiny, is actually more of a science fiction trope, rarely found in fantasy (and the description of it is fairly sfnal). And Death’s slogan resonates still for me, 35 years on.

THERE’S NO JUSTICE. THERE’S JUST ME. ( )
1 vote nwhyte | Jul 23, 2022 |
As a Discworld book, this is really more of a 3 than a 4. The plot didn't hold together as well as my favorites (like Soul Music) but that translate to a 4 overall, since Discworld is generally pretty awesome. ( )
  eri_kars | Jul 10, 2022 |
3.5 stars
It would have been more enjoyable if I were a little less widely read.
It's nice and fun, but not anywhere near as spectacular as many reviewers rave about.

Sorry to say, I'm not sure there was a plot. Things were happening but there did not seem to be much by way of an actual story. That felt odd, but also very comforting in its own way.
Writing is quite clever, with a humorous tilt to absolutely everything. This could be a problem for some people. Personally, I was glad to be reading a book that does not take itself too seriously.

I'm not sure if I will continue with Discworld in any capacity. But at least I know which books to pick up when I want my mind to be thrown sideways by weirdness and/or if amusing read is what I'm after.

FINAL VERDICT : GIVE IT A TRY ( )
  QuirkyCat_13 | Jun 20, 2022 |
Ruglaður húmor Pratchetts flottur í þessari sögu þar sem Dauðinn tekur sér lærling. Mort eru mislagðar hendur í nánast öllu sem hann tekur sér fyrir hendur og ekki tekur betra við þegar Dauðinn tekur sér frí og lætur hann um sjá um starfið á meðan. Fínasta skemmtun. ( )
  SkuliSael | Apr 28, 2022 |

Sahlin, OlleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salmenoja, MargitTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilkins, RobAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Rhianna
This is the bright candlelit room where the lifetimers are stored - shelf upon shelf of them, squat hourglasses, one for every living person, pouring their fine sand from the future into the past.
There should be a word for that brief period just after waking when the mind is full of warm pink nothing.
‘[Death] doesn’t like wizards and witches much,’ Mort volunteered.
‘Nobody likes a smartass,’ she said with some satisfaction. ‘We give him trouble, you see. Priests don’t, so he likes priests.’
‘He’s never said,’ said Mort.
‘Ah. They’re always telling folk how much better it’s going to be when they’re dead. We tell them it could be pretty good right here if only they’d put their minds to it.’

When Mort’s father tries to get rid of his dim-witted son by offering him up for apprenticeship, nobody seems to want him – except for an elderly skeleton in a black cloak who turns out to be Death himself! After being accepted into Death’s unusual household, and watching a few souls be guided into the next world, Mort takes over the duty for a night or two, to give his master a break. With one ill-placed stroke of the scythe, he will split history in two, create a paradox that only a powerful wizard can rectify, and send Death on a quest to find out precisely what it is about life that humans enjoy – with predictably hilarious results!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,159,519 books! | Top bar: Always visible