Mort (1987)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld: Death (1), Discworld (4)

13,173199317 (4.06)437
Unable to be objective, Mort, Death's bumbling apprentice, kills an assassin instead of Keli, the princess who should have been his victim.
    Johannes Cabal the Necromancer by Jonathan L. Howard (PitcherBooks)
    PitcherBooks: While Howard's Cabal is a Necromancer (one who can raise the dead - in a fashion) And Pratchett's DEATH is the embodiment of death (which comes to us all)... The commonality is really that wonderful quirky British humor. Pratchett is an old favorite of mine and I have read every one of his books. Howard is my new favorite and I plan to read every one of his books. If you like one, odds are you'll totally enjoy the other...… (more)
    Fluke, or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore (Zaklog)
    Zaklog: Although American, not British, Christopher Moore has a very similar sense of humor to Pratchett's. And if you like a story about an unsuspecting, innocent (and often clumsy) man accidentally becoming the Grim Reaper, you'll probably like Moore's book as well. Another wonderful characteristic the two authors share is their ability to combine a bizarre sense of humor with very serious moral subjects. So once you finish the newest Pratchett novel, be sure to check out Christopher Moore.… (more)
    A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (alexa_d)
    On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony (ijustgetbored)
    ijustgetbored: Similar theme: Death gets a replacement. Wry, with a healthy helping of social critique.

English (190)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Czech (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (199)
Mort is the kind of guy who fails at everything, is gawky, and the only reason he doesn't disappoint everyone is because they already assume he won't be good at it, whatever "it" is. His father takes him to town to the square on the day apprentices are chosen, for all the trades. After all the vendors and others have gone home, Mort and his father are still there. He even failed at this. Then Death shows up.

Death has decided to acquire an apprentice. Because Death needs a holiday and death never stops.

But Mort is Mort and he is human, so the task of taking over for an immortal being who's been around since the first life began its journey is, to say the least, not an easy task. Or even a likely one. It's not made any easier when Death becomes enamored with living and becomes a short order cook in a pub, so he can cook and play with kittens, leaving Mort to take over, after a single day of solo experience.

Mort falls in love (or infatuation, either way) with a princess he is supposed to take. So he saves her, instead. The universe decides this is not acceptable and promptly begins to suffer the kind of angst that ends with people ceasing to exist, as it works to fix the problem with fate that Mort has caused. This may end with the princess dying anyway and Mort having to face up to Death, for the problems he's caused.

Nothing to do, but attempt to circumvent the demands of Death, death, and fate. If only anyone had any clue how to do that. And before Death finds out what's going on, in his absence.

Yet another fun adventure in the flat Earth of Discworld!
  James_Patrick_Joyce | Oct 24, 2020 |
This was ok. I struggled to read the book because it just didn't hold my interest. it was the audiobook that finally got me through it. The puns gave me a few chuckles and a handful of groans. I really disliked tge portrayal of the female characters in the book as well as the relationships between the final "love" matches. ( )
  Chris.Bulin | Oct 1, 2020 |
Death is my favorite Discworld character, and this was all about Death, so it was probably one of my favorite so far. Still haven't fallen in love with any single Pratchett book.
  librarymeanslove | Oct 1, 2020 |
Whilst I liked Mort a lot when I was younger, as an adult giving it a reread for the first time in many years, I find it a bit lacking... mostly in laughs. Mid-period Pratchett has lots of wise laughs, but early Pratchett tends towards pratfalls and schoolboy sniggering a bit more. I don't find our own world reflected in Mort at all, and that makes it a lesser work. Nevertheless its still fun. Death is deservedly a favourite character who reflects the fleeting fancies of humanity in his infinitude.. Death the wise fool from whom we can learn or to whom we can teach but can never beat... but the other characters are less well planned. Mort and Ysabell needed to be killed off later, Albert needed other sidekicks to work, and the rest got their happy endings and were never mentioned again. ( )
  elahrairah | Sep 29, 2020 |
Ahhhh! Gosh, this book was a delight. Well, as delightful as a book about Death can be. Mort pulled all my heartstrings; unwanted, unremembered, rather good at dumb decisions, and almost overtaken by something much bigger than himself (and being pulled back at the edge).
Again, my new fav of Discworld ^^' ( )
  stormnyk | Aug 6, 2020 |
Great book! Im so excited about new tv-show coming out, named GOod Omens. Preparing to watch it re-reading the books:)
added by sharoneckertt | editBisbee (Oct 29, 1975)

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Salmenoja, MargitTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilkins, RobAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
To Rhianna
This is the bright candlelit room where the lifetimers are stored - shelf upon shelf of them, squat hourglasses, one for every living person, pouring their fine sand from the future into the past.
There should be a word for that brief period just after waking when the mind is full of warm pink nothing.
‘[Death] doesn’t like wizards and witches much,’ Mort volunteered.
‘Nobody likes a smartass,’ she said with some satisfaction. ‘We give him trouble, you see. Priests don’t, so he likes priests.’
‘He’s never said,’ said Mort.
‘Ah. They’re always telling folk how much better it’s going to be when they’re dead. We tell them it could be pretty good right here if only they’d put their minds to it.’

When Mort’s father tries to get rid of his dim-witted son by offering him up for apprenticeship, nobody seems to want him – except for an elderly skeleton in a black cloak who turns out to be Death himself! After being accepted into Death’s unusual household, and watching a few souls be guided into the next world, Mort takes over the duty for a night or two, to give his master a break. With one ill-placed stroke of the scythe, he will split history in two, create a paradox that only a powerful wizard can rectify, and send Death on a quest to find out precisely what it is about life that humans enjoy – with predictably hilarious results!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,749,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible