Mort (1987)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld: Death (1), Discworld (4)

Unable to be objective, Mort, Death's bumbling apprentice, kills an assassin instead of Keli, the princess who should have been his victim.
Recently added byprivate library, iaross, mezentius, queenphoria, Mseloria, ReneGuenon, LadyLudovica, dookdragon87
    Johannes Cabal the Necromancer by Jonathan L. Howard (PitcherBooks)
    PitcherBooks: While Howard's Cabal is a Necromancer (one who can raise the dead - in a fashion) And Pratchett's DEATH is the embodiment of death (which comes to us all)... The commonality is really that wonderful quirky British humor. Pratchett is an old favorite of mine and I have read every one of his books. Howard is my new favorite and I plan to read every one of his books. If you like one, odds are you'll totally enjoy the other...… (more)
    Fluke, or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore (Zaklog)
    Zaklog: Although American, not British, Christopher Moore has a very similar sense of humor to Pratchett's. And if you like a story about an unsuspecting, innocent (and often clumsy) man accidentally becoming the Grim Reaper, you'll probably like Moore's book as well. Another wonderful characteristic the two authors share is their ability to combine a bizarre sense of humor with very serious moral subjects. So once you finish the newest Pratchett novel, be sure to check out Christopher Moore.… (more)
    A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (alexa_d)
    On a Pale Horse (Incarnations of Immortality, Bk. 1) by Piers Anthony (ijustgetbored)
    ijustgetbored: Similar theme: Death gets a replacement. Wry, with a healthy helping of social critique.

English (207)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Czech (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (216)
Death is just awesome. ( )
  ReneGuenon | Sep 20, 2021 |
Y'know, every time I dive into another Discworld book (yes, I know, I know, this is only my fourth), I keep asking myself, Self, why in the hell are you diving into an interminably long series?

Well, the answer is, because it's so damn much fun.

Now that I'm four books in, I've got a solid handle on Pratchett's style of humour. There feels like there's a lot of crossover with Douglas Adams, but Pratchett's also very much his own man.

Death is a great character, as is his adopted daughter, and the...um...not quite dead princess. And then there's Mort.

Damn. I just love this series. Only 37 or so books to go! ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
My introduction to Terry Pratchett, thanks to my big sister. I’ve probably read it again ten times since, and I’ve loved it at every stage of my life. ( )
  gracefromspace | Sep 1, 2021 |
Book 4 of Discworld. Perfect lockdown reading - light, amusing and original.
Late on parade - but now 10% through the series. With the way
Covid is going, I'll easily finish the lot! ( )
  mbmackay | Aug 24, 2021 |
A delightful & entertaining read about Mort who undertakes an apprenticeship with Death. Very enjoyable and funny. ( )
  Stephen.Lawton | Aug 7, 2021 |

Sahlin, OlleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salmenoja, MargitTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilkins, RobAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Rhianna
This is the bright candlelit room where the lifetimers are stored - shelf upon shelf of them, squat hourglasses, one for every living person, pouring their fine sand from the future into the past.
There should be a word for that brief period just after waking when the mind is full of warm pink nothing.
‘[Death] doesn’t like wizards and witches much,’ Mort volunteered.
‘Nobody likes a smartass,’ she said with some satisfaction. ‘We give him trouble, you see. Priests don’t, so he likes priests.’
‘He’s never said,’ said Mort.
‘Ah. They’re always telling folk how much better it’s going to be when they’re dead. We tell them it could be pretty good right here if only they’d put their minds to it.’

When Mort’s father tries to get rid of his dim-witted son by offering him up for apprenticeship, nobody seems to want him – except for an elderly skeleton in a black cloak who turns out to be Death himself! After being accepted into Death’s unusual household, and watching a few souls be guided into the next world, Mort takes over the duty for a night or two, to give his master a break. With one ill-placed stroke of the scythe, he will split history in two, create a paradox that only a powerful wizard can rectify, and send Death on a quest to find out precisely what it is about life that humans enjoy – with predictably hilarious results!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,339,326 books! | Top bar: Always visible