Mort by Terry Pratchett

Mort (1987)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld (4), Discworld: Death (1)

Johannes Cabal the Necromancer by Jonathan L. Howard (PitcherBooks)
    PitcherBooks: While Howard's Cabal is a Necromancer (one who can raise the dead - in a fashion) And Pratchett's DEATH is the embodiment of death (which comes to us all)... The commonality is really that wonderful quirky British humor. Pratchett is an old favorite of mine and I have read every one of his books. Howard is my new favorite and I plan to read every one of his books. If you like one, odds are you'll totally enjoy the other...… (more)
    Fluke, or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore (Zaklog)
    Zaklog: Although American, not British, Christopher Moore has a very similar sense of humor to Pratchett's. And if you like a story about an unsuspecting, innocent (and often clumsy) man accidentally becoming the Grim Reaper, you'll probably like Moore's book as well. Another wonderful characteristic the two authors share is their ability to combine a bizarre sense of humor with very serious moral subjects. So once you finish the newest Pratchett novel, be sure to check out Christopher Moore.… (more)
    On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony (ijustgetbored)
    ijustgetbored: Similar theme: Death gets a replacement. Wry, with a healthy helping of social critique.

English (168)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Czech (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (177)
We get to know Binky in this one! He's the best. Death is great too. I loved this book when I first read it - this time around, not as much. Maybe because I'm already familiar with the characters and the universe, and getting to know them is what makes this book great. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
Very enjoyable Pratchett. Humorous almost all the way through, except for a dip in the middle. It has a plot, decent characters, running gags. I had low expectations, but am glad to have picked it up. ( )
  breic | Sep 5, 2018 |
With this book the Disc World Series really starts to come alive. Death is looking for an apprentice, and manages to take on the most awkward hopeless young fellow ever: Mortimer, known as Mort or Boy.
Mort’s growth into the, er, gravity of his position is something to behold. Death makes mostly pathetic attempts to understand humans and their mysterious ways. This is a feel-good little book with lots of humor and satire. Recommended for anyone who needs a break from the weariness of the world. ( )
  bohemima | Jul 17, 2018 |
Death is one of the classic characters from Terry Pratchett's discworld novels. He pops up often and is always funny, with a defined personality. Mort is the book where the reader really learns about him and the world he has created for himself. The very concept of Death having an apprentice so he can take time off or retire is amusing in itself. What it entails is even funnier. A thoroughly enjoyable read. ( )
  purplequeennl | Jul 11, 2018 |
Many years ago, my dear friend Sasha introduced me to Discworld. I don't remember exactly which book she threw my way first, but it is with great clarity that I recall first picking up this particular one. [book: Mort] was what fully sold me on Discworld originally, and it was with the cozy feeling of tugging a well-worn coat on that I reread this book. It was as good as I remembered it being, if not better now that there has been an ample bit of time between readings.

[book: Mort] tells the story of a boy who becomes the apprentice of Death, who really wants to give te whole human pleasure thing a try. Only Death isn't particularly good at being human, nor is Mort particularly great at being Death. When hormones get in the way and he spares a Princess's life, all of reality is just a bit disheveled and it's up to him and Death's adopted daughter Ysabel to try and set things right.

While [book: Mort] lacks the cutting/amusing social commentary of [book: Equal Rites] it makes up for it all with the wonderful character of Death himself. Death is one of [author: Terry Pratchett]'s best characters, and I honestly can't wait to read more of his storyline as I continue down the Discworld rabbit hole this year. [book: Reaper Man] in particular I remember adoring... ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |

Salmenoja, MargitTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilkins, RobAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
To Rhianna
This is the bright candlelit room where the lifetimers are stored - shelf upon shelf of them, squat hourglasses, one for every living person, pouring their fine sand from the future into the past.
There should be a word for that brief period just after waking when the mind is full of warm pink nothing.
‘[Death] doesn’t like wizards and witches much,’ Mort volunteered.
‘Nobody likes a smartass,’ she said with some satisfaction. ‘We give him trouble, you see. Priests don’t, so he likes priests.’
‘He’s never said,’ said Mort.
‘Ah. They’re always telling folk how much better it’s going to be when they’re dead. We tell them it could be pretty good right here if only they’d put their minds to it.’

When Mort’s father tries to get rid of his dim-witted son by offering him up for apprenticeship, nobody seems to want him – except for an elderly skeleton in a black cloak who turns out to be Death himself! After being accepted into Death’s unusual household, and watching a few souls be guided into the next world, Mort takes over the duty for a night or two, to give his master a break. With one ill-placed stroke of the scythe, he will split history in two, create a paradox that only a powerful wizard can rectify, and send Death on a quest to find out precisely what it is about life that humans enjoy – with predictably hilarious results!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061020680, Mass Market Paperback)

Terry Pratchett's profoundly irreverent novels are consistent number one bestseller in England, where they have catapulted him into the highest echelons of parody next to Mark Twain, Kurt Vonnegut, Douglas Adams, and Carl Hiaasen.

In this Discworld installment, Death comes to Mort with an offer he can't refuse -- especially since being, well, dead isn't compulsory.As Death's apprentice, he'll have free board and lodging, use of the company horse, and he won't need time off for family funerals. The position is everything Mort thought he'd ever wanted, until he discovers that this perfect job can be a killer on his love life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:03 -0400)

Unable to be objective, Mort, Death's bumbling apprentice, kills an assassin instead of Keli, the princess who should have been his victim. Reprint.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,817,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible