Doc

by Mary Doria Russell

Series: Doc Holliday (1)

After the burned body of a mixed-blood boy, Johnnie Sanders, is discovered in 1878 Dodge City, Kansas, part-time policeman Wyatt Earp enlists the help of his professional-gambler friend Doc Holliday.

excellent account of Doc and his family along with his friends in Dodge City. Beautifully written. ( )
  pgabj | May 3, 2022 |
It breaks my heart a little that my dad isn't around to read this. It would've blown him away for all the reasons it did me...plus a few more of his own that he would've exclaimed about and expounded on for weeks afterward. ( )
  slimikin | Mar 27, 2022 |
This fictional portrayal of Doc Holiday brings to life the historical character along with the Earp brothers and other famous Wild West characters. ( )
  DrApple | Jan 20, 2022 |
John Henry Holliday, better known as Doc Holliday in popular culture, was immortalized as a quick-drawing, drunk, gambling gunslinger in movies like Tombstone and the docu-drama, Wyatt Earp. His been portrayed on screen by actors like Val Kilmer, Kirk Douglas and Dennis Quaid. But how much of Doc Holliday - as well as, his relationship with Wyatt Earp - do we actually know? He was made famous because of the shoot out at the O.K. Corral in Tombstone, AZ, which only lasted less than a minute. Dime store novelists and Hollywood producers wanted more action, more thrills. Soon the mere dentist, slowly dying of consumption, was turned into a fiend, an anti-hero.

Mary Doria Russell set off on her writing adventure to capture the man, not the legend, unmuddied by media-created lies. And in doing so, she created an image of Dr. John Henry Holliday - the dentist, the good friend, the lost soul, the taker of those abandoned and less fortunate - that we would otherwise never have known - despite the evidence and literature that contradict pop culture.

Mary Doria Russell gives us a look of life before Tombstone, something that is rarely done. She casts away any popular culture depictions of Holliday and the Earps, placing poetic prose in their place. ( )
  ennuiprayer | Jan 14, 2022 |
Loved the character of Doc, southern gentleman, educated, philosophical, unapologetic about his love for the south and his home. The writing is exceptional along with character development; I could almost feel the painful cough that plagued Doc until his death. That is a rare skill for any writer, (another story, that I can quickly recall, was able to make me feel the pain of the character, The Sky is Gray by Ernest Gaines). I have no idea how close to the real Doc this character is, but I love this version, so I will accept that this is the true Doc ( )
  almin | Dec 24, 2021 |

Mary Doria Russellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bramhall, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

This book is fiction, but there is always a chance that such a work of fiction may throw some light
on what has been written as fact.
—E. HEMINGWAY, A MOVEABLE FEAST
For Art Nolan, who told me what Wyatt knew; for Eddie Nolan, who showed us what John Henry had to learn; for Alice McKey Holliday, who raised a fine young man; with thanks to Bob Price and Gretchen Batton.
He began to die when he was twenty-one, but tuberculosis is slow and sly and subtle.
Ignore it, deny it, or fight it, change was inevitable.
He was, he believed, no longer prone to the paralyzing bouts of homesickness that used to overwhelm him, when the yearning for all he had lost was so powerful that his only defense was to hold himself still until the sorrow washed through him and left him empty again.
The heat was building under the roof of the hotel, but the air was dry and not so hard on him as the murderous swelter of a Southern summer. He closed his eyes and listened to the strangely lulling concert that Dodge in daylight produced. The brassy bellow of cattle, the timpani of hooves. A cello section of bees buzzing in the hotel eaves. The steady percussion of hammers: carpenters shingling the roof of a little house going up on a brand-new street extending north from Front.
The sunset beyond shone vermilion through the dust.
If you knew what was what, you made damn sure there was money sewn into seams, or gems hidden in hems—

The year is 1878, peak of the Texas cattle trade. The place is Dodge City, Kansas, a saloon-filled cow town jammed with liquored-up adolescent cowboys and young Irish hookers. Violence is random and routine, but when the burned body of a mixed-blood boy named Johnnie Sanders is discovered, his death shocks a part-time policeman named Wyatt Earp. And it is a matter of strangely personal importance to Doc Holliday, the frail twenty-six-year-old dentist who has just opened an office at No. 24, Dodge House.

And that is where the unlikely friendship of Doc Holliday and Wyatt Earp really begins—before Wyatt Earp is the prototype of the square-jawed, fearless lawman; before Doc Holliday is the quintessential frontier gambler; before the gunfight at the O.K. Corral links their names forever in American frontier mythology—when neither man wanted fame or deserved notoriety.

Authentic, moving, and witty, Mary Doria Russell’s fifth novel redefines these two towering figures of the American West.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Mary Doria Russell's book Doc was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,818,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible