If You Ask Me: (And of Course You Won't) by…

If You Ask Me: (And of Course You Won't)

by Betty White

If this weren’t written by Betty White, who I adore, this would probably get two stars. And all I can think is that if I don’t have something nice to say about such a lovely person’s writing, I just shouldn’t say anything at all. I’m having flashes to when the Friends would go see Joey’s play and say things like “the costumes were GREAT.” “The lighting, whew, spot on.”

I think this book is meant to be a cute gift book, a stocking-stuffer with some Betty White reminisces with a few words of wisdom thrown in. It was less than three hours as an audio book but still took me nearly a month to finish because I just wasn’t that interested. And it pains me to say that.

The chapters where she discusses her love of and experience with animals were quite sweet, and some of the stories from when she was first starting out were quite cool. But I can’t bring myself to recommend this. ( )
  ASKelmore | Jul 9, 2017 |
The book is a VERY fast read, and delightful and funny, like Betty White. ( )
  csobolak | Jun 23, 2017 |
Comedian Betty White shares her life story with humor and fun. Who wouldn’t enjoy a trip down Hollywood’s memory lane with her?
  mcmlsbookbutler | Oct 1, 2016 |
I love Betty White! ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
From the book jacket - Seven-time Emmy winner Betty White’s wit and wisdom take center stage as she tackles topics like friendship, romantic love, aging, television, fans, love for animals, and the brave new world of celebrity.

My Reactions
I feel a little mean not liking this more. I love Betty White, and some of the essays in this book are spot on perfect. But it’s pretty lightweight in substance, and I felt a little like I was on one of those obligatory visits to an elderly relative when I was a kid … I sat politely and tried not to fidget, but all I could think of was when I’d be able to go play. It’s a very fast read, and includes several photos.

Still, giving credit where credit is due, White is a lovely woman and has a keen sense of humor. There were sections that were completely delightful. I’d love to have her at my table at a dinner party! It just didn’t satisfy what I look for in a reading experience (yes, even from a celebrity memoir). I’ll continue to watch and enjoy her performances, but I’ll read something else. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jun 10, 2016 |
Gratefully Dedicated to Loretta Marysue and Bruce
One time I remember hearing someone ask my friend, George Burns, if he had read a certain book, current at the time.

It-girl Betty White delivers a hilarious, slyly profound take on love, life, celebrity, and everything in between.

Drawing from a lifetime of lessons learned, seven-time Emmy winner Betty White's wit and wisdom take center stage as she tackles topics like friendship, romantic love, aging, television, fans, love for animals, and the brave new world of celebrity. If You Ask Me mixes her thoughtful observations with humorous stories from a seven- decade career in Hollywood. Longtime fans and new fans alike will relish Betty's candid take on everything from her rumored crush on Robert Redford (true) to her beauty regimen ("I have no idea what color my hair is and I never intend to find out") to the Facebook campaign that helped persuade her to host Saturday Night Live despite her having declined the hosting job three times already.

Featuring all-new material, with a focus on the past fifteen years of her life, If You Ask Me is funny, sweet, and to the point-just like Betty White.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:04 -0400)

"Drawing from a lifetime of lessons learned, seven-time Emmy winner Betty White's wit and wisdom take center stage as she tackles topics like friendship, romantic love, aging, television, fans, love for animals, and the brave new world of celebrity. If You Ask Me mixes her thoughtful observations with humorous stories from a seven- decade career in Hollywood"--Publisher's description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,698,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible