The Laughing Corpse (1994)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

Series: Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter (2)

"The early Anita Blake novels find new life in trade paperback--as perfect collectibles for long-time fans or as great ways for new readers to sink their teeth into the series. In The laughing corpse, a creature from beyond the grave is tearing a swath of murder through St. Louis. And Anita will learn that there are some secrets better left buried--and some people better off dead."--Publisher's description.… (more)

English (75)  French (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (77)
I really loved Laurell K. Hamilton's early Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series books but I did feel like she lost the thread a bit in the middle of the series. I am glad to say that it seems like she is focusing more on the story line and less on the sex of late which makes the books better in my opinion. I think Anita is a great character and Laurell K. Hamilton can write a great plot but her overly complicated sex scenes can somewhat take away from the book. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
animator re-animated becomes super killer zombie
  ritaer | Jun 12, 2021 |
I really enjoyed the first Anita Blake book, so I was happy to get the second one on audio from the library. It was good to learn a bit more about the necromancer/vampire slayer/police consultant. This book had more of an eeeewwwwww factor for me than did the first book, but I guess that's zombies for you. Vampires are just less icky than zombies. ;) I thought it was interesting that Anita has specified that she wants to be cremated when she dies so can be neither raised from the dead nor turned into a vampire. I wonder if I can specify that in my living will? You know, just in case.

Anyway, I didn't like this book as much I did the first, but I think it was more because it was gross. It certainly kept me engrossed; I looked forward to listening to it every time I had a chance to do so. I think I have the third book sitting on my computer, so I'll be starting that soon. ( )
  ssperson | Apr 3, 2021 |
Although the "gore score" was a little higher than I'm usually comfortable with, I did really enjoy the audiobook version of this book. It took me through a day of housecleaning (which is one of the reasons I finished it so quickly). I liked Anita Blake's character, although she's occasionally a bit *too* sassy. However, she's a strong and charismatic heroine and one with interesting abilities, and just flawed enough to be human. The plot is fast-paced and engrossing, with lots of thrills, chills, and action, and the book is populated with many interesting characters. Recommended for anyone who likes urban fantasy. ( )
  sdramsey | Dec 14, 2020 |
Fun but oh so improbable. And I'm not just talking about the zombies and the vampires, either. I liked this in spite of myself and will actually read the third book in the series. It's been entertaining to read at lunch. Definitely not the Great American Novel but sometimes I just want fluff.

Big question - Why can no one actually kill this woman? Everyone tries, no one succeeds. Really?? ( )
  Chica3000 | Dec 11, 2020 |

Laurell K. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionscalculated
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Ricia Mainhardt, my agent: beautiful, intelligent, confident, and honest. What more could any writer ask for?
Harold Gaynor's house sat in the middle of intense green lawn and the graceful sweep of trees.

"THE OLDER THE ZOMBIE, THE BIGGER THE DEATH NEEDED TO RAISE IT."

After a few centuries, the only death "big enough" is a human sacrifice. I know, because I'm an animator. My name is Anita Blake.

Working for Animators, Inc., is just a job--like selling insurance. But all the money in the world wasn't enough for me to take on the particular job Harold Gaynor was offering.

Somebody else did, though--a rogue animator. Now he's not just raising the dead... he's raising Hell.

And it's up to me to stop it...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,201,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible