Arcadia by Lauren Groff

Arcadia (2012)

by Lauren Groff

The lyrical and haunting story of a great American dream--the progress of a utopian community and its lasting impact on a gifted young man.
    Drop City by T. Coraghessan Boyle (booklove2)
    booklove2: Another amazing novel on hippie communes trying to find their place. Also, a similar writing style.
    The Hypocrisy of Disco: A Memoir by Clane Hayward (sanddancer)
    sanddancer: One is fiction, the other is non-fiction, but both are about childhoods in hippie communes
    The Beach by Alex Garland (booklove2)
    booklove2: The unending search for utopia that falls apart
    Room by Emma Donoghue (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both are excellently written; both stories are about raising a baby boy in a completely non-traditional setting and include strong depictions of being a mother in extreme circumstances.

For some reason I truly struggled to finish this book, though it's gorgeous and touching and well-crafted. I might pick this up in paperback and give it a re-read--it's definitely worthy and, with all the damn books I have access to, that is not a thing I say lightly.

"Around him, a spin of bodies in dark coats, tapping thumbs on pads, pressing phones to heads, settling buds into ear canals, projecting an invisible shield of music as they move through the crowd, digital companionship warmer than the bodies around them. Every soul on the street is sunk within its body." ( )
  prufrockcoat | Dec 3, 2019 |
This was certainly a book out of my usual reads. I know very little about life in a commune. I really enjoyed the first half of the novel getting to know Bit and his childhood. I found the second half interesting, but found myself rushing to get to the end. ( )
  Beth.Clarke | Jun 28, 2019 |
So gorgeous. So New York, in that weird country New York way. A detailed yet often dreamy portrait of people loving each other and struggling to balance integrity with relationship, youthful optimism with aging caution. In Lauren Groff's scrumptious prose. If you can still get the hardcover somewhere, give yourself a moment to fully grok it before you immerse yourself in the decay of Utopia. ( )
  deeEhmm | Apr 3, 2019 |
A beautifully told story and one that would be good for a book club because there is so much to dig into. It took me at least 50 pages to get into the rhythm of this book because the writing is so lyrical (usually not my thing) but it works well to describe the feelings of this particular 5 year old boy, and continues to work well as he grows up. Groff makes her writing comfortably readable by dividing it into tiny sections that are rarely more than a page long. I didn't realize this book was so much about loss and would push heavy on the sadness button - something I try to avoid like the plague in books, but I'm glad this one got by me because it is such a lovely book and gave me so much to think about. Although I had to watch a whole bunch of Monty Python right after I finished it to snap me out of melancholy mode. I think Groff is an incredible writer. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
I thought I would hate it because it's about hippies, and that's annoying. What a delightful surprise to love it instead! ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
For Beckett
The women in the river, singing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Lauren Groff's book Arcadia was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,673,870 books! | Top bar: Always visible