Leaving the Atocha Station by Ben Lerner

Leaving the Atocha Station (2011)

by Ben Lerner

Torpor (Semiotext(e) / Native Agents) by Chris Kraus (Philosofiction)
    The Sorrows of Young Mike by John Zelazny (jashleigh)
    jashleigh: These books are both great travel books and the main characters are going through a similar time in their lives.

English (31)  Spanish (2)  Piratical (1)  All languages (34)
I fear this book is about the character that we have become. ( )
  kerns222 | May 25, 2018 |
Enjoyed some of the prose, but the narrator was annoying. Reminded me a bit of la movida, but these people had money to burn. Kind of obnoxious protagonist, playing with tranquilizers and angst. Meh. ( )
  KymmAC | Jan 29, 2018 |
An american in Spain. Familiar title? And he is not very familiar with anyone - at least not with himself. This young man with a scholarship to study spanish poetry is portrayed from the main person´s inside. We are inside his head - and what sort of head; bewildered, shifting, addicted, weed smoking, lying and constructing stories - not able to involve his self in anything. Not unlike many other youngster or young men, but although with a certain everlasting distance to everything that happens. In that way the main character is leading in an un-engaged way of existence all through his stay in Spain - a very near diagnosis, the way I read him.
  lestrond | Apr 5, 2017 |
I really wasn't at all impressed by this book. There were a few pages that took my interest, and it wasn't too long so I was able to keep going to the end. Moreover, there was something about the main character that made me want to keep reading - just as I might not be able to stop staring at a car crash wreckage. I think I may have been better off if I had encountered someone telling me "Nothing to see here, folks, just keep moving on". ( )
  oldblack | Dec 13, 2016 |
Fascinating and infuriating, though only someone who is not very self-aware would deny the insight into the intricacies of internal solipsism and neurotic rationalization that most people experience but would rarely admit. ( )
  ronhenry | Nov 17, 2015 |

Ben Lernerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vlek, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

In Madrid on a fellowship, a young American poet examines his ambivalence about authenticity.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,703,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible