An American general's aide discovers that his boss intends a military takeover because he considers the President's pacifism traitorous.

English (9)  Hebrew (3)  Danish (1)  All languages (13)
This could have been written today. It is as timely now as it was in 1962, maybe more so. The military is planning to take over the government. Due to the eye of Colonel Jiggs Casey who questions some things he sees in his role as the director of the Joints Staff, he goes to the President with his thoughts. This is the story of how the President prevents a Constitutional crisis.

This is a fast-paced political thriller. I could not put it down as the week went by. I was on the edge of my seat to see what would happen. The characters are good. The President is shown philosophizing at times as to what he, as President, should and needs to do--often alone. I am amazed at how this was kept secret for as long as it was--on both sides. Well worth the read. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Mar 11, 2019 |
It's the early 1960s, and the Cold War has heated up. Although the US and Soviets have signed an arms control agreement, the Soviets are cheating. Meanwhile, the top military brass are concerned that the US president is weak and ineffectual, and seek to take over the government in a military coup. Having stumbled on the plot, the US president has seven days to prevent the coup and to remove the treasonous military leaders from their positions without alerting the public. This made for a popular novel and a fine movie with George C. Scott as the president, and Burt Lancaster as the top renegade general.

I read this novel many years ago, and found it exciting; and so, I thought I'd try it again to see how it (and I) have aged. I liked it once again... found it exciting and suspenseful. Granted, the gender roles are traditional (something that a contemporary version would not have). While I cannot judge this work as if I'd not read the book before and seen the movie, I think it would hold up well today. As for the abridged version, I found it to be quite sufficient, with no noticeable gaps. I'd recommend it, or better still, the full version, for readers interested in political intrigue and believable counter-factuals. ( )
3 vote danielx | Aug 10, 2017 |
A fun, quick read. The casual misogyny really dates it. ( )
  encephalical | Apr 16, 2017 |
Fascinating political thriller, slightly dated but still holds up well. ( )
  steve12553 | Jun 7, 2016 |
754. Seven Days in May, by Fletcher Knebel and Charles W. Bailey II (read 28 Oct 1963) This is an exciting book and I liked it and found it absorbing reading. ( )
  Schmerguls | Jun 9, 2013 |

Fletcher Knebelprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bailey, Charles W., IImain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,615,681 books! | Top bar: Always visible