Edward I by Michael Prestwich
Edward I--one of the outstanding monarchs of the English Middle Ages--pioneered legal and parliamentary change in England, conquered Wales, and came close to conquering Scotland. A major player in European diplomacy and war, he acted as peacemaker during the 1280s but became involved in a bitter war with Philip IV a decade later. This book is the definitive account of a remarkable king and his long and significant reign. Widely praised when it was first published in 1988, it is now reissued with a new introduction and updated bibliographic guide. Praise for the earlier edition: "A masterly achievement. . . . A work of enduring value and one certain to remain the standard life for many years."--Times Literary Supplement "A fine book: learned, judicious, carefully thought out and skillfully presented. It is as near comprehensive as any single volume could be."--History Today "To have died more revered than any other English monarch was an outstanding achievement; and it is worthily commemorated by this outstanding addition to the . . . corpus of royal biographies."--Times Education Supplement… (more)

OK, so everyone knows Edward I as the guy who was played by Patrick (“The Prisoner”) McGoohan and who threw his son’s lover out the window in the 1995 film Braveheart. Fine. But what ELSE did he do? Prestwich leaves no stone unturned in this definitive portrayal of the life and times of this very complex individual. ( )
  Hoagy27 | Nov 7, 2007 |
For Robin, Chris and Kate
Foreword to the Yale Edition -- The difficulties of writing a biography of a medieval ruler are many, and I faced some particular problems in the case of Edward I.
Preface to the First Edition -- In 1968, I decided not to write this book. The subject, Edward I, seemed altogether too large, and a book which concentrated on some aspects of his complex reign was, at that stave, a more attractive alternative.

Yale University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Yale University Press.

Editions: 0300071574, 0300072090

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,759,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible