The Long Winter (1940)

by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Series: Little House: The Laura Years (6), Little House novels, chronological order (book 21)

After an October blizzard, Laura's family moves from the claim shanty into town for the winter, a winter that an Indian has predicted will be seven months of bad weather.

English (76)  Dutch (1)  All languages (77)
It just gets better and better (as, if the conspiracy theorists are right, her daughter takes a firm hand in editing/rewriting). How wonderful to read of being snowed in for so long (the cover's misleading, it's mostly a tale of being stuck in a house, worried about food and heat, for months) during the current Covid-19 crisis. Puts my complaints (can't dine out, can't hit the gym, can't rehearse my musical) to shame. I have food, heat, power, the internet, TV, every book ever written ready to download to my Kindle, and I have nothing to worry about.

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). I feel a lot of readers automatically render any book they enjoy 5, but I grade on a curve! ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Oct 13, 2020 |

Tholema, A.C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westrup, Jadwiga P.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The mowing machine's whirring sounded cheerfully from the old buffalo wallow south of the claim shanty, where bluestem grass stood thick and tall and Pa was cutting it for hay.

The Ingalls family and their neighbors worry they will not have enough food to survive the long, horrible winter. Almanzo Wilder risks his life to replenish their food supply in this absorbing look at life on the American prairie.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,484,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible