The Midwife of Hope River: A Novel of an…

The Midwife of Hope River: A Novel of an American Midwife

by Patricia Harman

The Birth House by Ami McKay (saratoga99, vancouverdeb)
    saratoga99: Similar time-period Canadian debut historical fiction.
    vancouverdeb: Both books are about midwifery in the early 1920's ,1930's. Both also tackle social issues.
    The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett (cammykitty)

A beginning midwife tries to outrun her past but instead becomes aware of the racial inequalities of where she now lives . A very entertaining read. I believe readers who enjoy Alice Hoffman's writing would enjoy this story as well. ( )
  dalexander | Oct 22, 2016 |
Picked up on clearance with a batch. Looks interesting, but I'm not sure because of the community reviews. The glowing ones don't really talk about it the way the negative ones do (as if they didn't read the book with care), and look like they were written by fellow authors and friends. The negative ones look more authentic. However, I don't want to discard a good book for a bad reason, so I'll try to read this soon and let you-all know what I think, from my perspective as an outside reader.

--------------
Couldn't finish. Got to p. 78, about 20%. Not bad, just not for me. Too subtle, I'd say, but that'd give you the wrong idea if you don't know that normally I prefer subtlety over drama. I'm tired of all but the very most vibrant historical fiction, I think. Or maybe it's because I didn't feel I was engaging with the characters, rather that I was learning about them. Whatever - it just didn't work for me.

I do think it might make a good atmospheric movie for grown-ups. Almost melodramatic, in a reflective kind of way. Would have to be handled very carefully by director and cast. Might also be the kind of book the Oprah picks are, judging by which I've read that have her sticker on them.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
  crazeedi73 | Jan 30, 2016 |
Most of my life I've felt like I was dreaming. Now and then I wake up, sometimes for months, sometimes minutes. I'm a character from a play, and I can't tell if I'm making it up or if a great puppeteer is making me dance.

- From the private diary of Patience Murphy, Midwife , Wild Rose Road, Liberty, West Virginia, U.S.A 1929 - 1930
" How long do you think that my baby's been dead?" Katherine turns toward me, and I can tell that she's still crying.

Book Description

Midwife Patience Murphy has a gift: a talent for escorting mothers through the challenges of bringing children into the world. Working in the hardscrabble conditions of Appalachia during the Depression, Patience takes the jobs that no one else wants, helping those most in need—and least likely to pay. She knows a successful midwifery practice must be built on a foundation of openness and trust—but the secrets Patience is keeping are far too intimate and fragile for her to ever let anyone in.

Midwife Patience Murphy has a gift: a talent for escorting mothers through the challenges of bringing children into the world. Working in the hardscrabble conditions of Appalachia during the Depression, Patience takes the jobs that no one else wants, helping those most in need--and least likely to pay. She knows a successful midwifery practice must be built on a foundation of openness and trust--but the secrets Patience is keeping are far too intimate and fragile for her to ever let anyone in. Honest, moving, and beautifully detailed, Patricia Harman's The Midwife of Hope River rings with authenticity as Patience faces nearly insurmountable difficulties. From the dangerous mines of West Virginia to the terrifying attentions of the Ku Klux Klan, Patience must strive to bring new light and life into an otherwise hard world.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Midwife of Hope River by Patricia Harman was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,735,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible