The Midwife of Hope River: A Novel of an…

The Midwife of Hope River: A Novel of an American Midwife

by Patricia Harman

3525631,026 (4)37
    The Birth House by Ami McKay (saratoga99, vancouverdeb)
    saratoga99: Similar time-period Canadian debut historical fiction.
    vancouverdeb: Both books are about midwifery in the early 1920's ,1930's. Both also tackle social issues.
    The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett (cammykitty)

Great Story of a midwife in West Virginia in the early 1900s
Written by a real Midwife who lived many such tales ( )
  Barbaralois | Mar 30, 2017 |
I really liked this book. Enjoyed the characters. Enjoyed the birthing experiences. WE are certainly lucky today to have such good medical care during pregnancy at at delivery! I am anxious to get the next book in her series!
  sarahjvigen | Mar 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Midwife of Hope River is an interesting tale of hard times, women’s roles, and midwifery in Appalachia. Patricia Harman peopled her work with well written characters, and her Appalachia has a strong sense of place. ( )
  countrylife | Mar 8, 2017 |
As a doula I am always drawn to stories about midwives, especially when they're also historical fiction. I have read Patricia Harman's memoirs as well and loved her writing so when I found out she had started a fiction series I had to read it! This book was beautifully written and I fell in love with Patience. ( )
  BooksBottlesBabies | Jan 27, 2017 |
A beginning midwife tries to outrun her past but instead becomes aware of the racial inequalities of where she now lives . A very entertaining read. I believe readers who enjoy Alice Hoffman's writing would enjoy this story as well. ( )
  dalexander | Oct 22, 2016 |
Most of my life I've felt like I was dreaming. Now and then I wake up, sometimes for months, sometimes minutes. I'm a character from a play, and I can't tell if I'm making it up or if a great puppeteer is making me dance.

- From the private diary of Patience Murphy, Midwife , Wild Rose Road, Liberty, West Virginia, U.S.A 1929 - 1930
" How long do you think that my baby's been dead?" Katherine turns toward me, and I can tell that she's still crying.

Book Description

Midwife Patience Murphy has a gift: a talent for escorting mothers through the challenges of bringing children into the world. Working in the hardscrabble conditions of Appalachia during the Depression, Patience takes the jobs that no one else wants, helping those most in need—and least likely to pay. She knows a successful midwifery practice must be built on a foundation of openness and trust—but the secrets Patience is keeping are far too intimate and fragile for her to ever let anyone in.

Midwife Patience Murphy has a gift: a talent for escorting mothers through the challenges of bringing children into the world. Working in the hardscrabble conditions of Appalachia during the Depression, Patience takes the jobs that no one else wants, helping those most in need--and least likely to pay. She knows a successful midwifery practice must be built on a foundation of openness and trust--but the secrets Patience is keeping are far too intimate and fragile for her to ever let anyone in. Honest, moving, and beautifully detailed, Patricia Harman's The Midwife of Hope River rings with authenticity as Patience faces nearly insurmountable difficulties. From the dangerous mines of West Virginia to the terrifying attentions of the Ku Klux Klan, Patience must strive to bring new light and life into an otherwise hard world.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Patricia Harman's book The Midwife of Hope River was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,465,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible