Tenth of December: Stories (2013)

by George Saunders

A collection of stories which includes "Home," a wryly whimsical account of a soldier's return from war; "Victory lap," a tale about an inventive abduction attempt; and the title story, in which a suicidal cancer patient saves the life of a young misfit.
Recently added byJoeB1934, siouxzyn, deb2425, Molly026, codylee13, private library, DarthFisticuffs, hackrdog

English (167)  Dutch (1)  All languages (168)
"Sometimes science sucks"
Guy is in prison and being experimented on by a pharmaceutical development company. Neither the crime the guy was sentenced for, nor the nature of the experiments themselves, are very convincing. ( )
  mkfs | Aug 13, 2022 |
Whoa. This short-story packs a punch. A very in-your-face turn that makes you shiver a bit with disgust and anger. I have often wondered why the future is usually such a bleak place in fiction, but I think it is because we can see elements in our society that make us feel such developments are possible. The need for status, the emphasis on worldly goods, what we own, do we own as much or more than the guy next door...these are poisons. What is the next thing that our children will have to have in order not to feel "less than" someone else? Could we think about teaching them that possessions are not what defines us? Could we explain that shoes were invented to give us comfort for our feet and that the presence or absence of a swoosh on the side is not what gives them value? And, how easy is it to buy into the idea that our needs supersede those of others, that others are put here for our amusement or entertainment at any cost?

Just a few of the thoughts that came to me while reading this story. Excellent work, Mr. Saunders. ( )
  mattorsara | Aug 11, 2022 |
Enjoyed some of these stories ire than others, but they were all crafted well of course…enjoy his writing on writing more than his writing? Hah!! ( )
1 vote BooksForDinner | May 30, 2022 |
Funny and disturbing stories that were very thought-provoking. ( )
  Kate.Koeze | Apr 15, 2022 |
This is a popular and well thought of book. Go figure. ( )
  PaulLoesch | Apr 2, 2022 |
No one writes more powerfully than George Saunders about the lost, the unlucky, the disenfranchised, those Americans who struggle to pay the bills, make the rent, hold onto a job they might detest — folks who find their dreams slipping from their grasp as they frantically tread water, trying to keep from drowning.

Saunders, Georgeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Damsma, HarmTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lovell, JoelForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miedema, NiekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Pat Pacino
Three days shy of her fifteenth birthday, Alison Pope paused at the top of the stairs.
Based on the experience of my life, which I have not exactly hit out of the park, I tend to agree with that thing about, If it's not broke, don't fix it. And would go even further to: Even if it is broke, leave it alone, you'll probably make it worse.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

George Saunders's book Tenth of December was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,422,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible