London Falling by Paul Cornell

London Falling

by Paul Cornell

Series: James Quill (1), Shadow Police (1)

6194322,481 (3.88)68
    Game of Cages by Harry Connolly (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Another urban fantasy/horror in a similar style
    Broken Homes: A Rivers of London Novel by Ben Aaronovitch (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Police in London who work in solving supernatural crime
    Hidden Things: A Novel by Doyce Testerman (LongDogMom)
    Kraken by China Miéville (Euryale)
    Butcher Bird by Richard Kadrey (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both books are gritty urban fantasies in which the main character(s) find themselves suddenly able to see the "true" world underneath the normal one. Both have horror aspects and are compelling reads.
    Sandman Slim: A Novel by Richard Kadrey (majkia)
    majkia: gritty supernatural thriller
    The Autumn Castle by Kim Wilkins (LongDogMom)

While I sort of enjoyed it, I found it a bit dark in tone for my tastes (I prefer Ben Aaronovitch). I suppose because I grew up reading golden age crime fiction, I never really got into more noir police procedurals. I also found it a bit heavy going at times. I'll read the others in the series at some point, but they won't be a high priority for me.
  Maddz | Jul 27, 2018 |
Originally posted at www.csdaley.com

One of the things I have most loved in recent years is the absolute explosion of books getting published that experiment with mixing genre. London Falling at its heart is a police procedural. A good old fashion cop story where our heroes painstakingly work through the clues left behind to catch a serial killer. It is a giant part of the story. It's just that the serial killer may or may not be a supernatural being sacrificing children to fuel her hatred for the London leaders who wronged her.

The book is full of everything I love in a paranormal, urban fantasy, police procedural. We have ghosts, talking severed heads, and one fairly useless cat. It was like reading a John Constantine Hellblazer comic in novel form. The book was full of creepy. It was also full of flawed police officers doing their best to understand a world that has suddenly gone wrong. Throwing out what they know and trusting in their instincts to get them through the horror of what they don't know. I absolutely loved them and when the book ended I knew I would be back for more.

Cornell takes his time in this story and it works very well. The mystery unfolds a little at a time. We get to experience the weirdness right along with the heroes. Take our best guesses and watch where Cornell decides to lead us. The tension builds all the way through the story with the pace gradually increasing until the break neck and explosive finish. The world building was top notch. Giving us a London we both knew and didn't all in one go. If you're a fan of urban fantasy and police procedural than don't miss this one. I mean you can't go wrong with talking severed heads. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
Very good police procedural that turns into an amazing and horrifying urban fantasy with a lot more edge than usual. Highly recommended! ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
22/2014

This book was a total mindscrew for 75%. Really, really good though. ( )
  moonlight_reads | Dec 11, 2016 |
The police have managed to infiltrate the biggest gang in London but are not getting the results they need to crack the case and time is running out for their operation. Rob Toshack has managed to bring a lot of the other gangs under his control and no-one seems to be aware how he accomplishes this as he seemingly uses outside enforcers and nobody has ever seen them. When the police finally raid Toshack's place and take him into custody all they find are his regular cohorts. Something happens during his interrogation that will change the game for everyone especially four of the investigation team. These four become invested (or should that be infected) with the Sight. This allows them to see things that are generally thought of as going bump in the night. The witch Mora Losley is one such creature and it's our intrepid team's responsibility to bring her down. Can they learn enough about their new abilities in time?

This is a police procedural set very much in an urban fantasy frame although the start of the story is very much all the former before transitioning into the latter. It's a lot darker in tone than Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London books and doesn't shy away from the unpleasantness or gory details. It's very well written and the real elements of the tale feel very authentic. The reader also gets to experience a sense of discovery that's not often included in this type of novel and it will be interesting to see how sequels handle things after this initial element has played out. I'm looking forward to finding out though. ( )
  AHS-Wolfy | Nov 19, 2016 |

Paul Cornellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lynch, DamianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Caroline, for putting up with me
Costain entered the service station and stopped when he saw Quill standing there, not even pretending to look at the chocolate bars displayed in front of him.

Urban fantasy
mixes Britishness with the
supernatural.
(passion4reading)

"Police officers Quill, Costain, Sefton, and Ross know the worst of London--or they think they do. While investigating a mobster's mysterious death, they come into contact with a strange artifact and accidentally develop the Sight. Suddenly they can see the true evil haunting Londons streets"--Dust jacket flap.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,801,465 books! | Top bar: Always visible