dismiss

The Examined Life: How We Lose and Find Ourselves

by Stephen Grosz

In his work as a practising psychoanalyst, Stephen Grosz has spent the last twenty-five years uncovering the hidden feelings behind our most baffling behaviour. The Examined Life distils over 50,000 hours of conversation into pure psychological insight, without the jargon.

English (21)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (22)
Highly engaging, readable and relatively brief series of case studies from Stephen Grosz's practice over 25 years. He writes with care and sensitivity towards his patients and with some humility in respect of his own capabilities as a psychoanalyst.
Readers might recognise themselves in one of more of the case studies. More likely I suspect is that each of us will recognise some element of our or someone else's behaviour. This may help us, though this is not a 'self-help' book. Even if we don't believe we are in need of any kind of help, this provides a probing insight into some aspects of human behaviour. ( )
  peterjt | Feb 20, 2020 |
These are not the anecdata you're looking for, though some of the stories are interesting enough, if you like that sort of thing. ( )
  cwcoxjr | Sep 5, 2019 |
If I could give this bk more stars, I would. It's not self-help, simply a collection of case studies, but I learned something about myself on every page. ( )
  liv_books | Apr 18, 2017 |
I found this book a quick, easy read. I couldn't put it down, it was so moving. It's a series of anonymous case studies detailed by a psychoanalyst that each give insight into people's minds. A few things struck me during the reading: that the same life events (not necessarily traumatic ones by any means) can affect us each so differently; that it's amazing any of us are sane (although, perhaps we're not?); I love the word 'captious', which I hadn't heard before; I loved the whole chapters 'On being a patient' and 'Through silence' which made me cry; and the idea that children can have their confidence reduced through praise struck a chord with me too. I feel like the stories of these people will come back to me again and again. It seems that we could all do with the insight psychoanalysis offers, but it's a luxury most of us cannot afford. ( )
  cjeskriett | Mar 15, 2017 |
I started out thinking this book was not adequate since it never really finished with a case history but realised that is the point. No such thing as closure which is one of the book's conclusions and which I agree with. Each chapter - if you thought about it - invited you to think about your self. Good book. Very reflective. ( )
  adrianburke | Dec 10, 2016 |
For the past twenty-five years, I've worked as a psychoanalyst. - Preface
I want to tell you a story about a patient who shocked me.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,856,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible