The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert…

The Cuckoo's Calling (2013)

by Robert Galbraith

Series: Cormoran Strike (1)

Case Histories: A Novel by Kate Atkinson (keywestnan, debbiereads)
    keywestnan: I listed Case Histories but I'm really recommending the entire Jackson Brodie series by Kate Atkinson. They are excellently written private eye novels that are especially excellent when it comes to character.
    The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: The two detectives have a key trait in common: dogged pursuit of the truth and the truth has many twists along the way.
    The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith (Eowyn1)
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams (Moehrendorf)
    The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling (kinsey_m)
    kinsey_m: Rowling's other (and better) adult book
    The Guilty One by Lisa Ballantyne (aliklein)

English (437)  Italian (5)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  German (2)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (454)
This book was a little bit hard for me to get into. It started out slow, and continued at a slow pace for quite awhile. It felt like not much happened the first half. I only started to really enjoy it after the half way mark when it started picking up and I became more interested. Towards the end, I was really excited to find out how it would end.

I did really enjoy Robin, and her relationship with Cormoran. To me, that was the best part of the book. I will probably give the second book in the series a try, but I am not in any big hurry to do so. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
Un gran bel giallo vecchio stile, basato sull'intuito.
Cormoran è un gran bel personaggio, così come Robin.
Il romanzo ti trascina, pagina dopo pagina, verso l'inaspettato finale (con tanto di colpo di scena) senza annoiare.
Insomma: quando esce il secondo romanzo? ( )
  elerwen | May 29, 2019 |
I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about reading this. I thought it would be more formulaic than it turned out to be and I ended up actually quite liking the book, the story and characters were both interesting and not 'the usual suspects'.

It was well written, and I didn't feel that it treated the reader like an idiot.

It took a little bit to get into and I felt like I was reading it for a long, long time, but the pace got much quicker towards the end. ( )
  Fluffyblue | May 26, 2019 |
Cormoran Strike has just broken up with his girlfriend, and he's living in his office. The latest in his long list of temporary secretaries (that he can barely afford) has just arrived so when a possible windfall of an investigation lands on his lap he doesn't hesitate. A troubled model fell from a balcony and her brother isn't sure that it was an accident. It drags him into a world where his father is better known than he is, his groupie mother died of a drugs overdose and his famous rock-star father won't be forgotten, even if Cormoran is an injured war veteran.

The building relationship between Cormoran and his secretary is interesting and the two of them work together as a team, but Cormoran needs to work on better team building. He often holds his cards very close to his chest. Not the best mystery series I've read but I will read more in this series. ( )
  wyvernfriend | May 20, 2019 |
Supermodel Lula Landry falls to her death from her apartment and everyone thinks it's suicide. Everyone but her brother, John Bristow, who think she was murdered and hires private detective Cormoran Strike to find out if she was killed.

Robert Galbraith alias J.K. Rowling has written an interesting book. Both well written and with great character. Cormoran Strike is without a doubt one of the most interesting and human detectives I have ever encountered. What I love about him is that he isn't super smart. He is good at his job, but he doesn't rub your nose in it all the time.

But as much as I like Cormoran there is a character I love more. And that is Robin Ellacott. Here we have a character that has everything. In the beginning, of the book her boyfriend Matthew propose to her and she accepts it. She is working as a substitute for a while until she gets a permanent job. Working for Cormoran Strike is just a passing thing. That is until she gets to her new workplace and sees that he is a private detective. She has always wanted to work for a private detective and even though her life is perfect and this is just a work for a week before she gets a higher-paid permanent job. But you really can tell how much she is enjoying her new job even though her fiancé Matthew isn't that happy about it.

But why only 3 stars in the end? I loved the characters, I will without a doubt read the next book. I liked the story, even though I felt the story dragged on a bit sometimes. But I didn't like the ending.
I just didn't see the reason for why John Bristow would hire a private detective to discover who killed his sister when he was the one that did it? I know he tried to frame Lula's other brother. But everyone thought she had committed suicide, he was in the clear, nobody knew about another testament, well except Rochelle. But no one would have known she was murdered. Also if Bristow hadn't hired Cormoran. The only solution I can think of is that Bristow was truly and utterly mad and stupid!

And that is why the book only get's 3 stars! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
Ublodig, men ikkje blodfattig
Når Harry Potter-forfattar J.K. Rowling går til krimmen, satsar ho meir på person- og miljøskildring enn på å dikte opp utspekulerte drapsmetodar. Det er heilt ok.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Marta Norheim (Feb 24, 2014)

In “The Cuckoo’s Calling” Ms. Rowling — er, Mr. Galbraith — seems to have similarly studied the detective story genre and turned its assorted conventions into something that, if not exactly original, nonetheless showcases her satiric eye (most in evidence in the Potter books in her portraits of the bureaucrats and blowhards associated with the Ministry of Magic) and her instinctive storytelling talents.

The Cuckoo’s Calling and Harry Potter both feature dead or absent parents, adoptees, and family intrigue. They both imagine highly complex worlds that are nonetheless knowable—if you study their laws closely—and amusing, and beautiful, and dangerous. If I’m honest, though, I liked Galbraith just a bit better than late Rowling. (The first four Harry Potter books still reign supreme.) While both writers are funny, suspenseful, and sharp about race and class, he seems under less pressure to take himself and his story seriously. I wonder why.
added by zhejw | editSlate, Katy Waldman (Jul 16, 2013)

There is no sign whatsoever that this is Galbraith’s first novel, only that he has a delightful touch, both for evoking London and for capturing a new hero. It is an auspicious debut.
added by zhejw | editThe Mail, Geoffrey Wansell (May 2, 2013)

Galbraith, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caball, JosefinaTranslator/Traductorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Casella, AlessandraTranslator/Traduttoresecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Daly, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Divjak, DarjaTranslator/Prevajalecsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dorph Stjernfelt, AgneteTranslator/Oversættersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Göhler, ChristophTranslator/Übersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gralak, AnnaTranslator/Tłumaczsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grinde, HeidiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hjukström, CharlotteTranslator/Översättaresecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holland, JoelCalligraphersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torre, Jesús de laTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torre, Jesús de laTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wunder, DietmarReader/Erzählersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
רולינג, ג'. קsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Why were you born when the snow was falling?
You should have come to the cuckoo's calling,
Or when grapes are green in the cluster,
Or, at least, when lithe swallows muster
      For their far off flying
      From summer dying.

Why did you die when the lambs were cropping?
You should have died at the apples' dropping,
When the grasshopper comes to trouble,
And the wheat-fields are sodden stubble,
      And all winds go sighing
      For sweet things dying.

Christina G. Rossetti, "A Dirge"
To the real Deeby with many thanks
The buzz in the street was like the humming of flies.
The dead could only speak through the mouths of those left behind, and through the signs they left scattered behind them.
The white-painted boutique stood on some of the most expensive acreage in London... To Strike, its colorful windows displayed a multitudinous mess of life's unnecessities. ... a gaudy celebration of consumerism he found irritating to retina and spirit. (page 184-5)
Originally published: London: Sphere, 2013.

When a troubled model falls to her death from a snow-covered Mayfair balcony, it is assumed that she has committed suicide. However, her brother has his doubts, and calls in private investigator Cormoran Strike to look into the case.

Strike is a war veteran - wounded both physically and psychologically - and his life is in disarray. The case gives him a financial lifeline, but it comes at a personal cost: the more he delves into the young model's complex world, the darker things get and the closer he gets to terrible danger...
Cormoran Strike is
asked to investigate a
suicide – was it?
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316206849, Hardcover)

A brilliant debut mystery in a classic vein: Detective Cormoran Strike investigates a supermodel's suicide.

You may think you know detectives, but you've never met one quite like Strike. You may think you know about the wealthy and famous, but you've never seen them under an investigation like this.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:26 -0400)

"After losing his leg to a land mine in Afghanistan, Cormoran Strike is barely scraping by as a private investigator. Strike is down to one client, and creditors are calling. He has also just broken up with his longtime girlfriend and is living in his office. Then John Bristow walks through his door with an amazing story: His sister, thelegendary supermodel Lula Landry, known to her friends as the Cuckoo, famously fell to her death a few months earlier. The police ruled it a suicide, but John refuses to believe that. The case plunges Strike into the world of multimillionaire beauties, rock-star boyfriends, and desperate designers, and it introduces him to every variety of pleasure, enticement, seduction, and delusion known to man."--Dust jacket.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,611,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible