The Thicket (2013)

by Joe R. Lansdale

"Jack Parker knows all too well how treacherous turn-of-the-century East Texas can be. His parents did not survive a smallpox epidemic. His grandfather was murdered. Now his sister Lula has been kidnapped by a criminal who may believe wearing a dead man's clothes protects him from death. With bounty hunter Shorty, a charismatic and cunning dwarf, and Eustace, a gravedigging son of an ex-slave, the heartbroken young Jack sets off on an epic quest to rescue his sister from the corrupt men who control much of the new territory. In the throes of being civilized, East Texas is still a wild feral place. Oil wells spurt liquid money from the ground, but blood and redemption rule supreme"--… (more)

English (19)  Italian (2)  All languages (21)
one of Joe's best..wow. ( )
  ThomasPluck | Apr 27, 2020 |
4.5 stars!

This book was wonderful!

Granted, it had some very nasty language and racial epithets, but these rang true for the time period. Other than that and what I felt was a slightly predictable ending, this book was just fantastic and I'm sad that it's over.

You can get a description of the story from every other review and the book description, so that's all you'll hear from me about that. On to the good stuff-the characters. This book is populated with such a colorful cast, all of whom I can see in my mind clear as day. The bad guys were as clearly drawn and hated as the good guys were vivid and loved. I wanted to hug all the folks on the good side and that includes Hog.

The narrator, Will Collyer, was absolutely fantastic. His voices were wonderful and it was easy to tell which character was which. He gave them character, and somehow added a touch of reality to them, as well as a level of depth. Or maybe that was Mr. Lansdale that did that. Or maybe it was the combination of them both.

Either way, this book was great. The audio was wonderful, the characters truly memorable, and I find myself hoping that I can find another book authored by and narrated by these same guys. Because if I can, I'm in. You should be in too! Seriously, you should.

Recommended to all adults that love westerns. ( )
  Charrlygirl | Mar 22, 2020 |
Anyone who loved The Sisters Brothers will love this one. Or anyone who's read or watched all of the Game of Thrones that exists so far and wants more Tyrion Lannister. I just googled, hoping to read that the Coen brothers have optioned this, but found news almost as good - it will be a movie starring Peter Dinklage, and he'll also be a producer. He's way too talented to play Shorty as "Tyrion Goes West" and I hope his producer role means that the character won't be written that way. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
Fantastic, all the way around. ( )
  MelissaLenhardt | Mar 11, 2018 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

Wir erinnern uns an unser Leben,
als wäre es eine Geschichte.

ANONYMUS
Für Terrill Lee Lankford
Als Großvater zu uns rausgefahren kam und mich und meine Schwester Lula abholte und zur Fähre karrte, ahnte ich nicht, dass alles bald noch viel schlimmer werden oder dass ich mich mit einem schießwütigen Zwerg zusammentun würde, mit dem Sohn eines Sklaven und mit einem großen, wütenden Eber, geschweige denn, dass ich mich unsterblich verlieben und jemand erschießen würde, aber genau so war's.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,990,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible