Mr. Wilkinson's Vegetables: A Cookbook…

Mr. Wilkinson's Vegetables: A Cookbook to Celebrate the Garden

by Matt Wilkinson

Other authors: Jacqui Melville (Photographer)

573310,072 (4)2
    Stephanie Alexander's Kitchen Garden Companion by Stephanie Alexander (MarthaJeanne)
    MarthaJeanne: Both wonderful books by Australians who grow what they cook, and cook what they grow.

This is just enough of a cookbook to make me love cooking more. I get overwhelmed by the massive books out there that have every dish under the sun.
This one's organized by vegetable and has about 3 recipes per veggie. Just enough to get you wanting to cook more often once you've tried a couple of them.

I have found the recipes to be delicious, the photography beautiful, the gardening tips helpful, and the book itself a pleasure to hold and feel.

This is a great cookbook. ( )
  milotooberry | Jan 30, 2014 |
Right now (end of December) might be a good time to read this book in Australia, but in Vienna it's a time to dream about veggies, not really to eat them. But summer will come again and I'll be all set to try these recipes out.

BTW, why do the Australians put out such great vegetable cookbooks? ( )
  MarthaJeanne | Dec 29, 2013 |
a most excellent 5 star read

Mr. Wilkinson’s Vegetables
I loved the cover, title and I am a veggie lover, this book is for me!
The pictures are mouthwateringly beautiful. The descriptions of the
foods, recipes and spices are sensual. The recipes themselves are
fantastically ….”veggigasmic” I am in awe and slightly intimidated.
Sheesh. What to try first....
Each section has a vegetable as it’s star, first up: Asparagus
You get a description of the name, origin, native of, when to pick &
plant, how to prepare, wonderful information you might never know.
Just listen to the recipe names …Blanched white asparagus with
ricotta & Belgian endive… A salad of raw asparagus, skordalia
prosciutto & dukka. And so on and so on…
recipes that blew my mind…roasted brussel sprouts with vanilla-confit
chestnuts and thyme, say what?
How about Sauteed Tuscan cabbage & Matsutake mushroom pasta!
Or, baked long green peppers with couscous & currants…yum.
Try this one.. salad of cauliflower, smoked salmon and strawberry..?!?
Or, frozen vanilla syrup-coated fennel….huh? Or, horseradish wafers!
How about rose-geranium-stewed blueberries with creamed rice pudding!
Try; nettle & crab ravioli with swiss chard & glasswort, I am swooning…:)
Parsnip chippies you say? Shepherd’s pie croquettes? Tomato kasundi?
Or, salted & lemoned raw zucchini, fromage blanc & grated almond…sigh.
Do you “taste” what I mean? Pairing foods that seem not to go together…
Mr. Wilkinson has a Mrs. And she has a recipe as well, The Mrs. Swiss
Chard & feta pie, simply scrumptious! There is also an index in the back.
I have already tried the “foil roasted big beets with ricotta and mint” I think I cried a little with joy at the first bite. I am so tickled to try the pickled asparagus! I have the ingredients to try “crushed fava bean & lentils with goat cheese & pear” and “grated carrot , preserved lemon, raisin & ginger pickle’ and I am going to have this delightful “pickle” with a wedge of brie just like my new favorite Veggie man, Mr. Wilkinson says to do!
As you can tell I am just thrilled with Mr. Wilkinson’s Vegetables, do yourself a culinary favor and get this book! ( )
1 vote annie.michelle | Mar 4, 2013 |

Matt Wilkinsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Melville, JacquiPhotographersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 157912934X, Hardcover)

This lush, creative cookbook celebrates the flavor and versatility of vegetables by bringing them to the center of the table in more than 80 delicious, easy-to-prepare recipes.

Too many of us let vegetables play second fiddle in meals that center on protein or carbs. For chef Matt Wilkinson, vegetables come first. He builds his dishes around vegetables that are in season, when they taste the best, are most affordable, and most readily available.

The recipes in Mr. Wilkinson's Vegetables range from simple salads such as Brussels Sprout Leaves, Mozzarella, and Anchovies, or Roasted Cucumber, Quinoa, Freekah, and Herbs, to hearty dishes such as Soft Parmesan Polenta with Crab and Mussels, or Braised Eggplant, Tomato, and Meatballs. They also include satisfying snacks like Irene's Tzatziki, or Smoked Tomato and Goat's Curd Gougéres, as well as desserts, such as Carrot Cake with Grated Carrot, Preserved Lemon, Raisin, and Ginger Pickle, or Creamed Rice Pudding. While many of the 80 plus dishes will appeal to vegetarians, there are plenty that incorporate meat. In all of them, Mr. Wilkinson's vegetables are the stars.

With beautiful photography and vintage illustrations, the book is both timely and timeless.

Praise for Matt Wilkinson and Mr. Wilkinson's Vegetables:

"Matt Wilkinson makes you look at vegetables differently! This book. . . will leave you eager to prepare one of his many delicious recipes." —Eric Ripert, chef of Le Bernardin

"I love how my fellow Aussie Matt Wilkinson gives homegrown, seasonal vegetables the spotlight in his dishes. Whether you're eating in his beautiful market-driven Melbourne cafe or lazily reading through his cookbook Mr. Wilkinson's Vegetables, you can taste the admiration he has for all Mother Nature has to offer." —Curtis Stone, chef and host of Top Chef Masters and Around the World in 80 Plates

"Matt Wilkinson takes vegetables to a whole new level with his recipes that are simple, yet intricate at the same time. Vegetables have never been as tasty." —David Chang, chef/founder of Momofuku

"This book is packed with inventive recipes, gardening advice, and snippets of fun vegetable lore, and it's one I'll revisit often." —Lukas Volger, author of Vegetarian Entrees that Won't Leave You Hungry

"I woke up in Melbourne and was whisked away to a studio where there was a make-shift kitchen with a couple guys putting together a meal of the most wonderful vegetables I had ever seen. There was no restaurant, no name. And that is where I met Matt and that chance meal in a warehouse behind a back alley is where one of my most special food memories remain. And now you can all see what I saw that night and maybe cook your own chance meal by Mr. Wilkinson."  —Roy Choi, chef Kogi Taco, Food & Wine Best New Chef 2010

"This book hits home for me! The way it's organized makes it so easy for people to celebrate each vegetable during its season and even inspires us to grow them with instructions on how-to!" —Ana Sortun, Oleana & Sofra bakery, Best Chef: Northeast 2005 James Beard Foundation

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:12 -0400)

Too many of us let vegetables play second fiddle in our meals; for Wilkinson, vegetables come first. Learn how to plan and build your menu around the vegetables in season, and get the best out of your own vegetable garden.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,298,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible