dismiss

Stalin: The Court of the Red Tsar (2003)

by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Winner of the British Book Awards History Book of the Year Longlisted for the Samuel Johnson Prize This thrilling biography of Stalin and his entourage during the terrifying decades of his supreme power transforms our understanding of Stalin as Soviet dictator, Marxist leader and Russian tsar. Based on groundbreaking research, Simon Sebag Montefiore reveals in captivating detail the fear and betrayal, privilege and debauchery, family life and murderous cruelty of this secret world. Written with extraordinary narrative verve, this magnificent feat of scholarly research has become a classic of modern history writing. Showing how Stalin's triumphs and crimes were the product of his fanatical Marxism and his gifted but flawed character, this is an intimate portrait of a man as complicated and human as he was brutal and chilling.… (more)
    Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Ostensibly a novel (and a superb one!), Life and Fate contains so much distilled experience of the Stalin era that it is an essential document for anyone interested in the history - or indeed, of how dictatorships work.
    Stalingrad by Antony Beevor (Ronoc)
    The Whisperers: Private Life in Stalin's Russia by Orlando Figes (mercure)
    mercure: Both books deal with daily life under Stalinism. Mr. Sebag Montefiore looks at Stalin's inner circle, The Whisperers looks at everybody outside that circle.
    Lenin's Tomb: The Last Days of the Soviet Empire by David Remnick (marieke54)
    The Origins of Totalitarianism by Hannah Arendt (Ronoc)
    Men in Dark Times by Hannah Arendt (Ronoc)

English (31)  Norwegian (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (35)
Well written, lots of intense stuff of course.

Amongst it all, this book kinda implies that the almost-invited-in-by-Stalin German attack in WWII was a collollary of the terror, and that the terror was a collollary of Stalin's wife (presumably) killing herself. He was, in fact, bonkers. ( )
  GirlMeetsTractor | Mar 22, 2020 |
Christmas time is a tricky time for my friends and relatives. Only the intrepid make moves to buy books, films and music without my preapproval. My friend Ed bought me a book, a memoir, which I had previusly found for a quarter and considered myself cheated at that price. I returned his book and selected this among the meager offerings at the local independent book store; I should qualify that the independent stores across the river are not provincial nor meager but the one here is, despite my buying many books upon their opening, they or my town lack vision: I'd assume its an admixture of such. I went home with this biography and sort of tumbled into its depths. We had wicked a storm a few days later and I used the time off work to complete such, ice overstreets and sidewalks lent a theatric detail. The next Christmas I bought my dad a copy which I remain unclear as to whether he perused: he's funny that way. I then bought Young Stalin for myself in paperback but haven't approached such in a meaningful way. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
This book does much more than simply telling you a vivid (and astonishingly true) story of how Stalin, his relatives and immediate surroundings operated in one of the most lethal periods in Russian history. It exposes the way the Soviet brass thought, behaved and treated each other. The book depicts the way the whole Soviet system treated average people. The author doesn’t say it but having read the book, you’d understand why Soviet communism (and nowadays Russia) had never had and will never have a chance in competition with the West... (if you like to read my full review please visit my blog: https://leadersarereaders.blog/2018/09/22/stalin-the-court-of-the-red-tsar/) ( )
  LeadersAreReaders | Feb 19, 2019 |
Stalin's life laid open to the world. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
A fascinating, intricate, detailed account of Stalin's years in power along with his magnates and potentates. Amazing and shocking character traits which yet will be familiar to many people operating in highly competitive environments. A long book, but worth it! ( )
  jvgravy | May 21, 2016 |

Klemelä, KariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
La Bruyère, FlorenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lozoya, Teófilo desecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roubichou-Stretz, AntoninaTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,864,117 books! | Top bar: Always visible