Sense & Sensibility by Joanna Trollope

Sense & Sensibility (2013)

by Joanna Trollope

Northanger Abbey by Val McDermid (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: Another book in The Austen Project, wherein popular contemporary authors take on Jane Austen's novels and "update" them for the modern world. Not as wonderful or as complex as the originals, but fun re-imaginings.

A very uneventful update of Sense and Sensibility - but then the original is fairly dull too. I didn't really care about any of the characters - Sir John Middleton is the best, all blustering good will and staccato speech - and found Marianne even more irritating in a modern setting. Joanna Trollope's dialogue also leaves a lot to be desired - her favourite retort seems to be 'Don't. Don't', and I have said before, older writers should not attempt teen speak. Thirteen year old Margaret is bad enough, with her 'Whatever!' (circa 1995), but then Nancy Steele comes out with this gem: 'I'm OK.Totes OK. Mos def. ... Fo sho we do!' I think there's even an 'amazeballs' thrown in for good measure! And, while I'm nitpicking, Margaret seems to have an iPod from about ten years ago, the classic model with the scroll wheel which was discontinued when this book was published! I know the Dashwoods fall on hard times, but come on!

There are some nice twists - 'Bill' Brandon has turned Delafield into a drug rehabilitation centre and Marianne is asthmatic (but they're still not compatible!) Overall, though, this is an adaptation by numbers, adding nothing to the original by dragging the characters into the twenty first century - as Elinor says, 'This isn't 1810, for God's sake. Money doesn't dictate relationships'. ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | May 25, 2017 |
John Dashwood's promise to his dying father to take care of his half sisters is dashed aside by his domineering wife, Fanny. Belle Dashwood and her daughters must find somewhere they can afford to live and deal with their much reduced circumstances. Battled my way through to page 215 out of 451 before casting this aside in absolute boredom. Underdeveloped characters, no proper setting of the scene or descriptive passages. Really disappointing. ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | May 19, 2017 |
This review and others posted over at my blog.

This is the third book of the modern retelling “series” that I’ve read and I enjoyed it just as thoroughly as I enjoyed Northanger Abbey and Eligible. Trollope successfully brought the Dashwood family and all their friends and enemies into the 21st century and crafted a mostly believable version of a beloved classic.

In this version, there is still a trouble with inheritance that causes the Dashwood’s to have to leave their family estate because after the death of Henry Dashwood, the estate falls to his son from his first marriage, John. This is due in part because Ms. Dashwood never actually married Mr. Dashwood and partly because of some old inheritance traditions and I found this to be a believable modern take on the issue.

Sense & Sensibility lacks the sometimes drastic character changes employed by Eligible, but I still found all the characters enjoyable. Marianna is wonderfully annoying – she is a complete brat, totally over dramatic, and I mostly wanted to slap her. But she does exhibit character growth and her severe asthma condition fleshes out some of the drama she tends to create. Wills is a perfect modern cad, gold digger and general d-bag.

I especially enjoyed the sibling-esque relationship that developed between Colonel Brandon and Elinor. It’s been ages since I read the original, but Trollope seemed to do a better job of convincing me that Brandon cared for Elinor and the rest of the Dashwood family and not simply because he loved Marianne.

I read this in two days and I highly recommend it if you’re a fan of the original. ( )
  MillieHennessy | Feb 13, 2017 |
I think the author missed the point of modernizing an old novel. She updated dialogue with slang and gave the characters nicknames, but didn't modernize the situations. It was basically exactly the same novel. But are there really so many golddiggers today? and big inheritances? Maybe some but not for most people, so i found it really hard to identify with the characters. I think there are more creative ways to make the situation fit today's society--like women trying to balance jobs and love and kids and wanting to have it all? Elinor was supposedly studying architecture but that was such a weak thread, and she, the practical one, had never had a job or even knew how to get one? And what happened to Marianne going to college to study music? And why was Edward such a boob? Just really boring to read. ( )
  nicole_a_davis | Jan 12, 2017 |
If it has Miss Jane Austen's name on it I'm going to buy it. I got this book and I was pleasantly surprised that it's part of a project of all her books. I just started so I can't recommend it yet. So far it's good. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
For Louise and Antonia.
From their windows - their high, generous Georgian windows - the view was, they all agreed, spectacular.

Joanna Trollope's much-anticipated contemporary reworking of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility will launch The Austen Project and be one of the most talked about books of 2013. Two sisters could hardly be more different. Elinor Dashwood, an architecture student, values discretion above all. Her impulsive sister Marianne displays her creativity everywhere as she dreams of going to art school. But when the family finds itself forced out of Norland Park, their beloved home for twenty years, their values are severely put to the test. Can Elinor remain stoic knowing that the man she likes has been ensnared by another girl? Will Marianne's faith in love be shaken by meeting the hottest boy in the county? And when social media is the controlling force at play, can love ever triumph over conventions and disapproval? Joanna Trollope casts Sense & Sensibility in a fresh new light, re-telling a coming-of-age story about young love and heartbreak, and how when it comes to money especially, some things never change...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:46 -0400)

A modern retelling of the Jane Austen classic follows the Dashwood sisters--Elinor, Marianne and Margaret--as they, after the death of their father, must come to terms with the cruelties of life without the status of their country house, the protection of the family name or the comfort of an inheritance.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,327,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible