Sense & Sensibility by Joanna Trollope

Sense & Sensibility (2013)

by Joanna Trollope

Northanger Abbey by Val McDermid (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: Another book in The Austen Project, wherein popular contemporary authors take on Jane Austen's novels and "update" them for the modern world. Not as wonderful or as complex as the originals, but fun re-imaginings.

Actual rating: 2.75

Here we go again with quarter stars, for shame Maddie!

It is a tall order for anyone to attempt a modernization of a book in publication since the 1800s and beloved by many, many people. This is my favorite Jane Austen book and I'm not even a huge fan of her writing. 'Sense & Sensibility' is my go to film on the days I'm sick or having an out of sorts day. In fact prior to starting this book I watched the 2008 BBC adaptation and found I needed more of the characters than the mini series could offer me this time. Hence finally getting around to starting Joanna Trollope's re-imagining of these much loved characters.

As I was watching the film this time I kept wondering why Austen couldn't write her heroines with more backbone, okay what I actually mean is... why can't they be mean back to these terrible people! Of course we get a little of that here and there in Trollope's version and I find I didn't like it as much I as thought I wanted to. Negative attributes of ALL characters are amplified. If you ever thought you couldn't possibly dislike Mrs. Dashwood, here you will find she could almost give Mrs. Bennet a run for her money. Maybe it has been too long since I've the book, but I don't remember her being so selfish and oblivious to Elinor's plight. Marianne is worse, which is bad all around when I consider how much I have, in the past, felt I am like her. Gouge my eyes out the Middletons and Jennings were so meddlesome and down right obnoxious I wanted throw their lot in with Fanny and her mum.

If I had been reading this paper format it seems likely I wouldn't have been able to finish it. The narrator, Rachel Stirling, does a fabulous job drawing you no matter your frustrations with the story. I managed to get over some of my 'minor' issues with the book and enjoy the story. It is disappointing that it didn't deviate more from the original source material. I suppose I was hoping more for a sequel-ish vibe than I got. Next time throw in a dash or two of plot-twist and you are gold. I did really enjoy the interactions between Elinor and Colonel Brandon. Fan-fiction anyone?

Maybe this is for you if you haven't days before finished watching the original story (or reading the book) before diving into something identical. I still find it worth the time and in the future I will space out my revisits of the story.

P.S. Edward Ferrars is incredibly stupid in this story. Am I forgetting something? Is he that dumb in Austen's story?

P.P.S. Next in this series is 'Northanger Abbey'. Blahhhhh I have never read the book because I hate the film versions, but I suppose it is time to buckle down and read it as well. ( )
  books_ofa_feather | Sep 14, 2018 |
A rewrite of the Jane Austen's original, it does not offer much in terms of story or reading experience.

Follow the link for a detailed review.

http://onerightword.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/sense-and-sensibility-joanna-trollope... ( )
  ashkrishwrites | Aug 29, 2018 |
I had high hopes for this project, admittedly my expectations were probably too high. The modernization of this story felt forced, like the author was trying so hard to find a modern day equivalent for certain ways of life. I can only imagine modern day British people don't sit around and gossip about families forcing their children to marry heirs of other families to the extent that this novel portrays. I also felt that the characters fell flat and I found it impossible to connect to a single on of them, including Elinor. It was an entertaining and quick read but it did not wow me. I'm holding out hope for the other books in the series. ( )
  JamieBH | Apr 3, 2018 |
This book made me realize one significant thing: Jane Austen doesn't work well as a direct translation. Maybe it's this book specifically; after all, "Clueless" remains one of my favorite movies of all time. There's just something...inane about the entire premise of this story set in modern times. I cannot fathom the depth of narcissism and ineptitude in this version of Marianne and Mrs. Dashwood. Honestly, they were completely despicable. Okay, I may be exaggerating a tad (plus I didn't really like either of them in the original, either). Because on the flip side, the characters fell really flat for me. And overall, I think I was a tad offended by the portrayal of 21st century women whose entire lives revolved around men. I can swallow that in Austen's time, but not mine. I made it to the end, which is more than I can say for most books that I dislike, so that's saying something. Not my favorite adaptation. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
I was really disappointed with this novel. Sense and sensibility is my favorite Jane Austin novel. I feel it just did not translate well into modern day. Marianne and Belle were infuriating in their inability understand the need to earn money or be independent women. Also the context by which John Dashwood inherits Norland seems unrealistic in this day and age. Seeing that women are no longer dependent on men to earn them a living or no longer need to matched up for marriage, I left much of the novel rang with untruths. I am not sure these Criticisms are the author fault or just a function that Sense and Sensibility does not translate well to modern society. ( )
  MicrobeMom | Mar 23, 2018 |
For Louise and Antonia.
From their windows - their high, generous Georgian windows - the view was, they all agreed, spectacular.

Joanna Trollope's much-anticipated contemporary reworking of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility will launch The Austen Project and be one of the most talked about books of 2013. Two sisters could hardly be more different. Elinor Dashwood, an architecture student, values discretion above all. Her impulsive sister Marianne displays her creativity everywhere as she dreams of going to art school. But when the family finds itself forced out of Norland Park, their beloved home for twenty years, their values are severely put to the test. Can Elinor remain stoic knowing that the man she likes has been ensnared by another girl? Will Marianne's faith in love be shaken by meeting the hottest boy in the county? And when social media is the controlling force at play, can love ever triumph over conventions and disapproval? Joanna Trollope casts Sense & Sensibility in a fresh new light, re-telling a coming-of-age story about young love and heartbreak, and how when it comes to money especially, some things never change...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:46 -0400)

A modern retelling of the Jane Austen classic follows the Dashwood sisters--Elinor, Marianne and Margaret--as they, after the death of their father, must come to terms with the cruelties of life without the status of their country house, the protection of the family name or the comfort of an inheritance.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,918,531 books! | Top bar: Always visible