sed & awk by Dale Dougherty

sed & awk (1990)

by Dale Dougherty, Arnold Robbins (Author)

I read this curious to see if I'd use either to replace Perl or Python in my workflow. SED I can definitely see using for quick one off edits. AWK, especially in light of the longer examples given later in this book, I don't see using. AWK is worth learning a bit about for its approach.

I used the 1997 second edition. Some of the examples are a bit dated. The prose is more readable than some by this publisher.
  encephalical | Jun 18, 2012 |
Sed and awk are Unix power tools. Actually Awk is more of a programming language. This book is a good tutorial on both tools. Apparently it is one of the most popular books on the subject. ( )
  IvanIdris | Dec 26, 2011 |
SED stands for "Stream Editor." I wish that I had discovered this tool years before I did, but had been discouraged by the daunting vocabulary of rigorous descriptions. SED was originally written for the UNIX operating system but has been ported to MSDOS by Eric S. Raymond. You can do fairly sophisticated extraction from or modification of text files with remarkably terse (if highly cryptic-looking) instructions. (Actually, for merely searching or extracting, the "Grep" tool is even better, but DOS versions that I have seen do not conform so well to the UNIX standard tool.)
This book is a patient exposition of the program's capabilities that takes the reader from the simplest examples.

The Awk language, which adds much to the editing powers of SED, has probably been largely superseded by Perl, which is much more powerful still. However, the Awk interpreter is small and compact, compared to modern Perl implementations which have become large and elaborate. Shell scripts in Linux call upon it frequently.

Regular expressions in Grep, SED, Awk, and Perl (respectively) differ in detail from one another. If I have any criticism of this book, it would be that it sometimes discusses SED and Awk together without pointing out once again these differences if a reader has forgotten them. This sometimes makes the book confusing as a reference.
2 vote Alogon | May 20, 2010 |

Dougherty, DaleAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Robbins, ArnoldAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is about a set of uncommonly named UNIX utilities, sed and awk.
To write an awk script, you must become familiar with the rules of the game.

For people who create and modify text files, sed and awk are power tools for editing. Most of the things that you can do with these programs can be done interactively with a text editor. However, using sed and awk can save many hours of repetitive work in achieving the same result.

To master sed and awk you must thoroughly understand UNIX regular expressions, and understand the syntax of sed and awk commands. This handbook treats regular expressions as a foundation for learning about sed and awk and contains a comprehensive treatment of sed and awk syntax. It emphasizes the kinds of practical problems that sed and awk can help users to solve, with many useful example scripts and programs.

Contents include:

A tutorial showing basic operations of sed and awk Regular expression syntax and examples Basic and advanced sed commands Features of awk (plus gawk and nawk) Common programming constructs Advanced topics User-contributed scripts

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:38 -0400)

O'Reilly Media

An edition of this book was published by O'Reilly Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,654,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible