dismiss

Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope

Barchester Towers (1857)

by Anthony Trollope

Series: The Barsetshire Chronicles (2)

3,947922,097 (4.16)5 / 658
Barchester Towers, Trollope's most popular novel, is the second of the six Chronicles of Barsetshire.The Chronicles follow the intrigues of ambition and love in the cathedral town of Barchester. Trollope was of course interested in the Church, that pillar of Victorian society - in its susceptibility to corruption, hypocrisy, and blinkered conservatism - but the Barsetshire novels are no more`ecclesiastical' than his Palliser novels are `political'. It is the behaviour of the individuals within a power structure that interests him. In this novel Trollope continues the story of Mr Harding and his daughter Eleanor, adding to his cast of characters that oily symbol of progress Mr Slope,the hen-pecked Dr Proudie, and the amiable and breezy Stanhope family. The central questions of this moral comedy - Who will be warden? Who will be dean? Who will marry Eleanor? - are skilfully handled with that subtlety of ironic observation that has won Trollope such a wide and appreciativereadership.… (more)
    The Perpetual Curate by Margaret Oliphant (nessreader)
    nessreader: Oliphant's carlingford chronicles are an equivalent series to the barchester books; victorian sagas of social manouevering and parish politics. If you enjoy barsetshire, they are well worth trying. Perpetual is about high anglicanism vs lower church and like trollope spreads sympathy across opposed characters.… (more)
    La Regenta by Leopoldo Alas (starbox)
    The Canon in Residence by Victor L. Whitechurch (catherinestead)
    catherinestead: More scheming, gossip and social justice in the Cathedral Close.
    Jane and Prudence by Barbara Pym (chrisharpe)

English (90)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (92)
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. My 3rd Trollope. I had read 'The Warden,' quite some time ago, and was startled as to how i immediately remembered enough of it to know exactly what was going on. Trollope has this lovely tongue-in-cheek style that makes these books delightful, in spite of their sometime wordiness. His choice of character names almost makes me laugh out loud and his understanding of all that makes us so imperfect as people is stellar. It also is surprising as to how long ago this was written, but the ridiculousness of the characters is so believable...to the point that i am pretty sure i know some of these people! Certainly a wee bit predictable, a tad bit sappy, and a trifle too long, but i still very much enjoyed the journey.....and i will likely always remember Slope, Quiverful, Proudie & Puddindale. Perfect names! And politics has not really changed too much from the Church of England of the 1800's to today. This wonderful 1945 hardcover volume is also delightfully illustrated (by Donald McKay & sometimes in color!) throughout, and i enjoyed that very much. I am blessed to have an extensive Trollope layout on my shelves and i look forward to the many, many volumes waiting for my attention! ( )
  jeffome | May 7, 2020 |
This may have tied [b:The Way We Live Now|149785|The Way We Live Now|Anthony Trollope|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1453026230s/149785.jpg|2152551] for my favorite Trollope novel. There were so many parts that made me laugh out loud, and the characters seemed so real. Not only that, they seemed to behave for the most part like actual human beings, so the plot didn't feel forced. I'm definitely continuing on in this series.

Favorite quotes:

"There is, perhaps, no greater hardship at present inflicted on mankind in civilized and free countries, than the necessity of listening to sermons." (Page 55). Can confirm after recently visiting a church service that included a very long sermon.

"There is no royal road to learning; no short cut to the acquirement of any valuable art." (Page 177).

"One of two arrangements should certainly be made in these days: either let all speechmaking on festive occasions be utterly tabooed and made as it were impossible; or else let those who are to exercise this privilege be first subjected to a competing examination before the civil service examining commissioners." (Page 392).

"Bertie did not dislike money, but he hated the very thought of earning it." (Page 411).
  Jennifer708 | Mar 21, 2020 |

Favorite quotes:

Jennifer708 | Mar 21, 2020 |
2 v.Ex-lib. Denbigh Hall, Bryn Mawr College ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 19, 2020 |
We return to Barchester upon the death of the bishop and the appointment of the new bishop, a Dr Proudie. He arrives with his wifw and three daughters and their curate Mr Slope. Mr Slope preaches his first sermon and determines to make a stance which upsets the clerical community. Dr Proudie seems a weak individual dominated by his wife and curate.
The archdeacon Dr Grantly and Dr Harding are very disturbed by the new rule.
Meanwhile Mr Slope sets his cap at Dr Harding's daughter, now a widow with a young son. A new appointment is yet to be made as to the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital.
So the scene is set for the manipulations and misunderstandings which ensue.
Once again wonderful characterisations and social commentary of a bygone age and yet the wheelings and dealings, I suspect, would still be relevant to the contemporary Anglican church. Fantaastic language which had me reaching for the dictionary. ( )
  HelenBaker | Feb 3, 2020 |

Sutherland, JohnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tillotson,KathleenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, TimothyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the latter days of July in the year 185--, a most important question was for ten days hourly asked in the cathedral city of Barchester, and answered every hour in various ways -- Who was to be the new Bishop?
The outer world, though it constantly reviles us for our human infirmities and throws in our teeth the fact that being clergymen we are still no more than men, demands of us that we should do our work with godlike perfection. There is nothing god-like about us: we differ from each other with the acerbity common to man; we triumph over each other with human frailty; we allow differences on subjects of divine origin to produce among us antipathies and enmities which are anything but divine. This is all true. But what would you have in place of it? There is no infallible head for a church on earth.
It was dreadful to be thus dissevered from his dryad, and sent howling back to a Barchester pandemonium just as the nectar and ambrosia were about to descend on the fields of asphodel.
Considering how much we are all given to discuss the characters of others, and discuss them often not in the strictest spirit of charity, it is singular how little we are inclined to think that others can speak ill-naturedly of us, and how angry and hurt we are when proof reaches us that they have done so. It is hardly too much to say that we all of us occasionally speak of our dearest friends in a manner in which those dearest friends would very little like to hear themselves mentioned, and that we nevertheless expect that our dearest friends shall invariably speak of us as though they were blind to all our faults, but keenly alive to every shade of our virtues.

blurb: Barchester Towers is Trollope’s most popular novel and one of the classics of English fiction. It is the second of the six Chronicles of Barsetshire, which follow the intrigues of ambition and love in the cathedral town of Barchester. Trollope was of course interested in the church, that pillar of Victorian society - in its susceptibility to corruption, hypocrisy, and blinkered conservatism - but the Barsetshire novels are no more ‘ecclesiastical’ than his Palliser novels are political. It is the behavior of individuals within a power structure that interests him. In Barchester Towers Trollope continues the story of Mr. Harding and his daughter Eleanor, adding to his cast of characters that oily symbol of progress Mr. Slope, the hen pecked Dr. Proudie, and the amiable and breezy Stanhope family. The central questions of this moral comedy - Who will be warden? Who will be dean? Who will marry Eleanor? - are skillfully handled with that subtlety of ironic observation that has won Trollope such a wide and appreciative relationship.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140432035, 0141199113

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,371,666 books! | Top bar: Always visible