Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope

Barchester Towers (1857)

by Anthony Trollope

Series: The Barsetshire Chronicles (2)

3,620822,051 (4.16)5 / 636
    La Regenta by Leopoldo Alas (starbox)
    Canon in Residence by Victor L. Whitechurch (catherinestead)
    catherinestead: More scheming, gossip and social justice in the Cathedral Close.
    Jane and Prudence by Barbara Pym (chrisharpe)

English (80)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (82)
Quality of Writing: 9.16
Glad you read it?: 8.91
  bookclub4evr | Feb 20, 2018 |
Loved this- small town politicking amongst the clergy of a cathedral town, with a romantic knot as the B story. Trollope sometimes leans a bit on the fourth wall, and his asides to the reader are great.

There is a BBC adaptation of this and The Warden, titled "The Barchester Chronicles" from 1982- it's one of Alan Rickman's earliest roles, and he plays the seductively slimy Obadiah Slope so well! ( )
1 vote Daumari | Dec 30, 2017 |
I've been intending to read the second book in Trollope Barsetshire Chronicles ever since I finished [The Warden] way back in 2013. Time gets away from me sometimes! Trollope's comic touch is well-displayed in this tale of a new bishop who is relentlessly hen-pecked by his formidable wife, an unctuous chaplain with delusions of grandeur, and a battle between High Church traditions and Low Church modernity. There's also a highly entertaining subplot that involves the widowed daughter of Mr. Harding (protagonist of the first series book) that reaches a highly satisfactory conclusion.

And speaking of the High Church/Low Church bits, I would have been completely lost without the tutored read hosted by Liz and Heather in the 2012 75ers group. Heather's astute question and Liz's learned answers cleared much of the fog away and helped me better appreciate some of the subtleties of the humor and the situations.

And how can you not love an author who names an imperious bishop and his wife Proudie, the devout parents of 14 children (egads!) Quiverful, and a farmer Subsoil? ( )
1 vote rosalita | Oct 4, 2017 |
* illeggibile
** insufficiente
*** sufficiente
**** discreto
***** buono
****** ottimo
******* capolavoro

...mi manca...mi manca...ho finito di leggerlo da poche ore e sono in crisi di astinenza. Quasi quasi lo ricomincio.
Il secondo miglior libro dell'anno (il primo è il primo: L'amministratore).
Li amo tutti buoni e cattivi, vanesi e seri, Alta Chiesa, Altissima e bassa chiesa, potenti e modesti, protagonisti e gregari e un po' anche la signora Proudie. Ma che bel romanzo!
Trollope sei un grande. Grazie anche agli amici di anobii dai quali ho avuto il suggerimento.
  icaro. | Aug 31, 2017 |
Barchester Towers is the 2nd in a series of 6 by Anthony Trollope. It, like The Warden is set in the fictional town of Barsetshire. This book is a serious satire on The Church of England as the much beloved bishop died and who is to take his place? This was much longer than The Warden and several times I had to lay it down and pick it up some days later. I think it is best taken in small doses. 791 pages 3 stars ( )
  tess_schoolmarm | Feb 19, 2017 |

Sutherland, JohnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tillotson,KathleenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, TimothyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the latter days of July in the year 185-, a most important question was for ten days hourly asked in the cathedral city of Barchester, and answered every hour in various ways - Who was to be the new Bishop?
The outer world, though it constantly reviles us for our human infirmities and throws in our teeth the fact that being clergymen we are still no more than men, demands of us that we should do our work with godlike perfection. There is nothing god-like about us: we differ from each other with the acerbity common to man; we triumph over each other with human frailty; we allow differences on subjects of divine origin to produce among us antipathies and enmities which are anything but divine. This is all true. But what would you have in place of it? There is no infallible head for a church on earth.
It was dreadful to be thus dissevered from his dryad, and sent howling back to a Barchester pandemonium just as the nectar and ambrosia were about to descend on the fields of asphodel.

blurb: Barchester Towers is Trollope’s most popular novel and one of the classics of English fiction. It is the second of the six Chronicles of Barsetshire, which follow the intrigues of ambition and love in the cathedral town of Barchester. Trollope was of course interested in the church, that pillar of Victorian society - in its susceptibility to corruption, hypocrisy, and blinkered conservatism - but the Barsetshire novels are no more ‘ecclesiastical’ than his Palliser novels are political. It is the behavior of individuals within a power structure that interests him. In Barchester Towers Trollope continues the story of Mr. Harding and his daughter Eleanor, adding to his cast of characters that oily symbol of progress Mr. Slope, the hen pecked Dr. Proudie, and the amiable and breezy Stanhope family. The central questions of this moral comedy - Who will be warden? Who will be dean? Who will marry Eleanor? - are skillfully handled with that subtlety of ironic observation that has won Trollope such a wide and appreciative relationship.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140432035, Paperback)

This 1857 sequel to The Warden wryly chronicles the struggle for control of the English diocese of Barchester. The evangelical but not particularly competent new bishop is Dr. Proudie, who with his awful wife and oily curate, Slope, maneuver for power. The Warden and Barchester Towers are part of Trollope's Barsetshire series, in which some of the same characters recur.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:20 -0400)

After the death of old Dr. Grantly, a bitter struggle begins over who will succeed him as Bishop of Barchester. And when the decision is finally made to appoint the evangelical Dr. Proudie, rather than the son of the old bishop, Archdeacon Grantly, resentment and suspicion threaten to cause deep divisions within the diocese. Trollope's masterly depiction of the plotting and back-stabbing that ensues lies at the heart of one of the most vivid and comic of his Barsetshire novels, peopled by such very different figures as the saintly Warden of Hiram's Hospital, Septimus Harding, the ineffectual but well-meaning new bishop and his terrifying wife, and the oily chaplain Mr. Slope who has designs on Mr. Harding's daughter.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140432035, 0141199113

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,962,903 books! | Top bar: Always visible