HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Bark: Stories (2014)

by Lorrie Moore

In these eight masterful stories, Lorrie Moore, in a perfect blend of craft and bewitched spirit, explores the passage of time and summons up its inevitable sorrows and hilarious pitfalls to reveal her own exquisite, singular wisdom. In "Debarking," a newly divorced man tries to keep his wits about him as the United States prepares to invade Iraq, and against this ominous moment, we see--in all its irresistible hilarity and darkness--the perils of divorce and what can follow in its wake. In "Foes," a political argument goes grotesquely awry as the events of 9/11 unexpectedly manifest at a fund-raising dinner in Georgetown. In "The Juniper Tree," a teacher, visited by the ghost of her recently deceased friend, is forced to sing "The Star-Spangled Banner" in a kind of nightmare reunion. And in "Wings," we watch the unraveling of two once-hopeful musicians who neither held fast to their dreams nor struck out along other paths as Moore deftly depicts the intricacies of dead ends and the workings of regret.… (more)

English (30)  Italian (1)  All languages (31)
What a terrific book. I loved every story in it. Great writer, very funny without any cruelty. ( )
  steve02476 | Jan 3, 2023 |
This is the first I've read of Lorrie Moore's work, and it was brill. Another author to add to the 'must read more' pile.
The writing is light and spacious and the content is a little bit dark but very comforting. ( )
  mjhunt | Jan 22, 2021 |
Lorrie Moore is one of my favorite writers. No one captures the awkward things we wish we didn't say out loud quite like she does. There's plenty of every-day grotesque and doomed romance to please any fan. My only complaint was that the volume was short, and some of the stories forgettable or too rooted in current events of a year or two ago. ( )
  nancyjean19 | Jun 3, 2020 |
She writes really well, but I felt too distanced from the stories. I will have to revisit this in a few years to see if my opinion changes. ( )
  kvschnitzer | Dec 8, 2019 |
Good, good stuff. ( )
  Shaun_Hamill | Oct 10, 2019 |
"As Coleridge famously remarked of Wordsworth that one might recognize his poetry anywhere, so readers of Lorrie Moore are likely to recognize her prose instantaneously: a unique combination of wit, caustic insight, sympathy for the pathos of her characters’ lives, and that peculiar sort of melancholy attributable to time too long spent in the northern Midwest where late-afternoon snow acquires a spectral blue tinge. "

I shall still be here . . . growing my bark around the wire fence like a grin.
Caroline Squires, "An Apple Tree Spouts Philosophy in an Office Car Park"

In the splitting up dream we were fighting over who would keep the dog, Blizzard. You tell me what that name means. He was a cross between something big and fluffy and a dachshund. Does this have to be the male and female genitalia? Poor Blizzard, why was he a dog? He barely touched the hummus in his dogfood dish.
Louise Glück, from "Vita Nova"

Don't be gruff. Anything that falls on the floor is mine.
Amy Gerstler, :Interview with a Dog"
for Deborah Rogers and Deborah Treisman

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 183,032,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible