White House Years by Henry A. Kissinger

White House Years

by Henry A. Kissinger

Series: Kissinger's Memoirs (Volume 1)

Kissinger was/is an important figure in American political history. This book begins with Nixon's selecting him as head of National Security Council and ends with 1972 agreement with North Vietnam. Dean, Coulson are not even in the index. Kissinger avoids Watergate altogether. He dedicates the book to his political mentor Nelson Rockefeller and makes it clear at the beginning that he had until his selection by Nixon opposed the incoming president's election in favor of Rockefeller. His description of how Nixon used him to avoid giving Rodgers full authority as Secretary of State is interesting, and Kissinger's view of Nixon is extremely useful to anyone's attempt to understand this difficult man. A long book, but interesting. Of course the China breakthrough is the most important part of the book with Vietnam running a close second.

I suggest anyone interested in this book should read the extended review of the Librarything reviewer that preceeds my comment, direction from the blog address. ( )
  carterchristian1 | Jul 6, 2010 |
1400+ pages of dissembling, self-justification, and gossip from the amoral courtier of the Nixon Administration.

http://driftlessareareview.wordpress.com/2010/03/15/white-house-years-1979-by-he... ( )
  kswolff | Mar 15, 2010 |
1738 White House Years, by Henry Kissinger (read 29 Aug 1982) (National Book Award history prize for 1980) This 1476-page book covers the period from 1968 to 1973, which is the period that Kissinger served as Nixon's special advisor on foreign policy. I found myself agreeing with a lot of what Henry had to say: which I suppose simply shows I did not know or have forgotten a lot of things I should have known during those years. I found myself reverting to my old view on Vietnam--the view I had before 1968, when I supported the war. I should next read Kissinger's Years of Upheaval, but 3000 pages of Henry is a little much, so I may put that off for awhile. But this has been a very worthwhile book. ( )
1 vote Schmerguls | Nov 2, 2008 |

Henry A. Kissingerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Viták, VáclavTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of Nelson Aldrich Rockefeller
For better or worse I was called upon to play a prominent role in the making and execution of United States foreign policy, first as President Nixon's Assistant for National Security Affairs and later as Secretary of State under President Nixon and President Ford.

This account traces Kissinger's career from 1969 to the signing of the Vietnam peace agreement in 1973. Followed by Years of Upheaval (1982).

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,354,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible