Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded: August…

Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded: August 27, 1883 (2003)

by Simon Winchester

Read
  Familyhistorian | Feb 10, 2019 |
Absolutely top-notch account of the great 1883 volcanic eruption, which walks a reader not only through what happened, but why it happened. There is also a choice and generous selection of illustrations, and an enormous pile of informative asides buried in the footnotes. You come away from the book with a much better understanding of what happened. Very highly recommended, possibly one of Winchester's best. ( )
  EricCostello | Dec 16, 2018 |
a rambling, disjointed exploration into each and every one of the author's pet interests as opposed to the subject at hand.
  ireneattolia | Sep 3, 2018 |
This history book has one flaw that may turn off a lot of readers: there's a lot of build-up before seeing the fireworks go off, so to speak. Before getting to the eruption, Winchester gives us an extensive exploration of the setting: what is now Indonesia, and what was then the Dutch East Indies. This is as much a history of colonialism as it is about a volcano. Winchester wants the reader to understand not just the eruption but the society which it affected, and he is largely successful.

The description of the chaos unleashed by the eruption is the meat of the book and is absolutely fascinating. There are a lot of anecdotes and eyewitness accounts. Destruction on this scale seems almost unimaginable, and reading through it gave me a feeling of awe. Overall, this was very good stuff. ( )
  rcb1291 | Aug 6, 2018 |
Excerpts from my original GR review (Apr 2009):
- Read in January 2006.
- A detailed study of one of the greatest volcanic eruptions in modern times. From my perspective, "detailed" is not completely a good thing in this case. I appreciate Winchester's research, as well as his making an effort to describe the burgeoning sea trade and culture of the region in the 1880's, but I think he goes a little long.
- I still mostly enjoyed this, as it did inform me, and the final two chapters illustrating the big event almost had to be interesting after the long buildup. Probably won't read another by author. ( )
  ThoughtPolice | Jun 22, 2018 |
Most controversially, Winchester attempts to credit Krakatoa with the rise of militant Islamism in Indonesia.

Simon Winchesterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chinami, ToshihikoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
de Cumptich, Roberto de VicqJacket designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jay, ConeyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vannithone, SounIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I dedicate this book, with pleasure and with thanks, to my mother and father.
(Prelude) It was early on a warm summer's evening in the 1970's, as I stood in a palm plantation high on a green hillside in western Java, that I saw for the first time, silhouetted against the faint blue hills of faraway Sumatra, the small gathering of islands that is all that remains of what was once a mountain called Krakatoa.
Though we think first of Java as an eponym for coffee (or, to some today, a computer language), it is in fact the trading of aromatic tropical spices on which the fortunes of the great island's colonizers and Western discoverers were first founded.
Indonesia itself has and has had more volcanoes and more volcanic activity than any other political entity on the earth, in all recorded history.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060838590, Paperback)

It may seem a stretch to connect a volcanic eruption with civil and religious unrest in Indonesia today, but Simon Winchester makes a compelling case. Krakatoa tells the frightening tale of the biggest volcanic eruption in history using a blend of gentle geology and narrative history. Krakatoa erupted at a time when technologies like the telegraph were becoming commonplace and Asian trade routes were being expanded by northern European companies. This bustling colonial backdrop provides an effective canvas for the suspense leading up to August 27th, 1883, when the nearby island of Krakatoa would violently vaporize. Winchester describes the eruption through the eyes of its survivors, and readers will be as horrified and mesmerized as eyewitnesses were as the death toll reached nearly 40,000 (almost all of whom died from tsunamis generated by the unimaginably strong shock waves of the eruption). Ships were thrown miles inshore, endless rains of hot ash engulfed those towns not drowned by 100 foot waves, and vast rafts of pumice clogged the hot sea. The explosion was heard thousands of miles away, and the eruption's shock wave traveled around the world seven times. But the book's biggest surprise is not the riveting catalog of the volcano's effects; rather, it is Winchester's contention that the Dutch abandonment of their Indonesian colonies after the disaster left local survivors to seek comfort in radical Islam, setting the stage for a volatile future for the region. --Therese Littleton

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:31 -0400)

In August 1883, a catastrophic volcanic eruption off the coast of Java was followed by a tsunami that killed nearly 40,000 people. The author brings new perspective to this iconic event, showing how it marked a change in East-West relations.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,377,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible